Robocop Joins Star Trek 2 Cast

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Robocop Joins Star Trek 2 Cast

How do you make Star Trek 2 even better? Just add the dude who played Detroit's cyborg guardian.

J.J. Abrams' highly-anticipated sequel to Star Trek is finally picking up steam, acquiring a rather impressive cast (in addition to the original movie's), including Alice Eve and Benicio Del Toro. However, it's just been announced that Peter Weller will appear in the sequel, which means that the nerd crossover fantasy of Robocop and Star Trek is about to take place. Sort of. Okay, not really, but it's fun to imagine.

Variety is reporting that Weller, who's best known <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Robocop-Peter-Weller/dp/B00005N7Z1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323119381&sr=8-1>for portraying Robocop (only in the first two movies, though) and the main character in <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Buckaroo-Banzai-Across-Dimension/dp/B00005JKEX/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1323119465&sr=1-1>The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension has just been added to fill out the big-name cast. Weller is reportedly going to play the sidekick to the villainous Del Toro (who is rumored to be playing Khan Noonien Singh - though nobody will either confirm or deny this). Also, this isn't the first time that Weller's appeared in the Star Trek universe: He played John Frederick Paxton during a couple of episodes on the oft-maligned Star Trek: Enterprise.

Even though Weller is best remembered for his portrayal of Alex J. Murphy, I've always enjoyed him when he appears as a villain. He was a delightful distraction as Stan Liddy on Dexter and he was certainly menacing when he appeared as <a href=http://fringepedia.net/wiki/Alistair_Peck>Alistair Peck in Fringe. What will be interesting to see, though, is just who Weller - and, concurrently, Del Toro - will actually be playing in the sequel. When you've got Robocop and the Wolfman working together, that's quite a team-up.

Source: Screen Rant

Robert632

May 11, 2009
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/star-trek-director-jj-abrams-denies-villain-khan/254747

So The Director has said Khan is not the vilain of the movie...Probably half a dosen times. If you don't trust that source just google search something like JJ Abrams Khan. There shpould be several that any one will trust.

Now onto the news.

Cool.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Robert632 said:
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/star-trek-director-jj-abrams-denies-villain-khan/254747

So The Director has said Khan is not the vilain of the movie...Probably half a dosen times. If you don't trust that source just google search something like JJ Abrams Khan. There shpould be several that any one will trust.

Now onto the news.

Cool.
Besides which Del Toro is terrible casting for Khan, he isn't even Indian let alone Sihk. I know Ricardo Montalbán wasn't either, but they could do it properly now.
DVS BSTrD said:
How could Del Toro be playing Khan when Kirk ain't even marooned him yet?
snip
They could find the Botany Bay. Or is that too obvious?

Anyway back to Weller, he can do cool menace very well, and if they throw in a casual reference to "I've been ionized, but I'm okay now" or that great Marshal Foch quote "My center is giving way...my right is in retreat. Situation excellent: I shall attack" I'll be more than happy.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Seriously people, give it a rest on Khan being in this one. JJ has already stated that Khan isn't going to be in this. You act like that this is the only way the movie will be great. If Star Trek has only Khan to answer for, then I guess all those other movies must have been a mass pipe dream.
OT: This makes my day all the better. Peter is one of the most under-rated actors, ever.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I loved the Startrek film, i can't watch the series though, don't know why. Time to watch it again i think!

Speaking of Startrek...Wanna hear Kirk Rapping?

I don't why he talks like that, apparently it's a joke from the series...still funny though, Columbus is very well done xD

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Could someone please slaughter JJ Abrams already? I want that bastard ruined, why the hell do so many people like his stuff? This is the bastard that made LOST for crying out loud! God hate him. The only saving grave, is that the original film was in an alternative universe and timeline, but what a shocking contribution to Star Trek, completely horrific.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Conza said:
Could someone please slaughter JJ Abrams already? I want that bastard ruined, why the hell do so many people like his stuff? This is the bastard that made LOST for crying out loud! God hate him. The only saving grave, is that the original film was in an alternative universe and timeline, but what a shocking contribution to Star Trek, completely horrific.
I completely agree. While I feel that some of the more recent Trek shows and movies have and slipping in quality overall and have been somewhat lacking, this wasn't the solution I was looking for AT ALL.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Conza said:
Really? You really think the new film was a shocking contribution, after Star Trek TMP, 5, 7, 9, 10, Voyager, and Enterprise?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Peter Weller? I like him in a majority of Sci-fi films but...I don't really want to call J.J Abram's Startrek..Sci-fi.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I just read on IGN that Benicio Del Toro is NOT gonna be portraying Khan?

ah well, two years and going may have created more and more bile in the hearts of audiences towards JJ's Star Trek, but I'm still hella excited for it! about damn time, like really :D

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Watch out for the cycle, though. The last movie was good, so chances are this next one will suck. Unless it can break it somehow.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
They'll fix that, they fix everything
Bitchin Robocop reference.

There were a lot of good 80s stars that eventually fell in to the "made for t.v movies" categories during the 90s and early 2000s (still no useable shorthand?). Sure he did a couple of them, but then he started doing the more mainstream stuff again.

I wonder how J.J will bone up science in Star Trek 2? Maybe he will have Scotty utilize the "Big Bang" to restart the Enterprise's engines.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Phlakes said:
Watch out for the cycle, though. The last movie was good, so chances are this next one will suck. Unless it can break it somehow.
You got it backwards, in the Star Trek 'verse, the even numbered movies are the best ones; Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country and First Contact. All the odd numbered ones; The Movie, Search for Spock (Christopher Lloyd as a Kilingon? Not buying it), and the 5th one(forgot the name), all sucked balls.

In keeping with the tradition, J.J's first sucked balls.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
008Zulu said:
Phlakes said:
You got it backwards, in the Star Trek 'verse, the even numbered movies are the best ones; Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country and First Contact. All the odd numbered ones; The Movie, Search for Spock (Christopher Lloyd as a Kilingon? Not buying it), and the 5th one(forgot the name), all sucked balls.

In keeping with the tradition, J.J's first sucked balls.
Yes, but it continues into the TNG movies- Generations sucked, and Insurrection sucked but you can throw Galaxy Quest between them, First Contact was good, and Nemesis sucked, and then there was this one.