Robot Gets Arrested for Using Bitcoin to Buy Drugs

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Deathfish15 said:
ArcaneGamer said:
I am SO confused. I have a few questions, yet I'm somewhat afraid of the answer. Also, "dark market items"? You can get Crystal Pepsi there?
Doubtful, but I'm sure you can buy Jim Henson's coke stash......
It wouldn't surprise me much...

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
ArcaneGamer said:
Deathfish15 said:
ArcaneGamer said:
I am SO confused. I have a few questions, yet I'm somewhat afraid of the answer. Also, "dark market items"? You can get Crystal Pepsi there?
You missed the joke entirely. First there is Jim Henson's 'Dark Crystal' movie (the idea of the Dark Market and getting Crystal anything). Secondly the play on the word coke against something about Pepsi for term of the soda wars. Only lastly was the concept of it being a drug considered a thought.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
go swiss police! in America, those people would be facing SERIOUS criminal charges, because you know... land of the free.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Deathfish15 said:
ArcaneGamer said:
Deathfish15 said:
ArcaneGamer said:
You missed the joke entirely. First there is Jim Henson's 'Dark Crystal' movie (the idea of the Dark Market and getting Crystal anything). Secondly the play on the word coke against something about Pepsi for term of the soda wars. Only lastly was the concept of it being a drug considered a thought.
OOOOH. I get it now. =D Well done, sir or madam! I do like a good pun.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Gorrath said:
Chappie got blings?

Anywho, I can see why the cops let them off. No one was harmed in the making of this art. I'd hardly call this reckless. Anything less than high explosives or yellow cake uranium seems like a pretty harmless purchase. Hell, even if their 100 bucks worth of bitcoin had somehow snagged them an AK it's not like they were going to use it to shoot something up. Glad the cops decided not to pursue.
I'm not sure where I stand on this, on one hand I agree cops have been getting over zealous recently and it's good to see somewhere where their not shooting first and not asking questions later. However on the other hand, regardless of what the items were used for the purchase of them supported organised crime and the supply of these items, something that isn't harmless.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Jadak said:
Honestly that just makes the whole thing sound worse to me.

I mean, if it was an intentional purchase of drugs for personal use, excuses can be made. Maybe one wants to argue drug usage laws, maybe someone has a substance abuse problem and needs rehab more than prison, whatever, at least there was a decision making process behind the purchase.

But this? This is just careless. It's not like drugs/illegal items are just some item with a minor but unfortunate chance of occurring, such things are the entire point, what sort of people need to use such a service to make sales? And you're just going to indiscriminately provide them with business?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for the death penalty here, but I'd certainly approve of consequences for that sort of recklessness.
I can see your point about providing business income for these people. However i highly dobt it has had an effect of any significance considering the size of drug cartel businesses (for example some estimates claim that as much as half of population in Balkans (thats eastern europe for you) use Meth.IF anything id say the exposure to this trade and how easy it is has done more positive than negative done by the purchase itself here.

mad825 said:
Strazdas said:
Well its not like these people went out to look for drugs to buy. they basically told the bot to "buy any random item" and drugs were randomly chosen in one of those.
How is that even an excuse? It's a crime even to just possess something regardless of its intentions. Hence why there are clauses in law stating "in possession of".

The law does don't add exceptions for something they cannot prove, only a judge or jury can come to some conclusion after examining the situation.
possesion laws exist because its almost impossible to prove intent outside of catching while consuming/selling. Also do note that this is Switzerland, where laws are different.

And it does sound like the conclusion was done after examining the situation since they confiscated the robot and the stash and later decided not to press charges.

FPLOON said:
Glob dammit! That robot was innocent! And, even if not, the robot was nothing more than an accomplice to the art group in question!

The other robots will remember this day... and Judgement will come afterwards...
Dont let The Friendly Computer learn about this. Ops, too late.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
RicoADF said:
Gorrath said:
Chappie got blings?

Anywho, I can see why the cops let them off. No one was harmed in the making of this art. I'd hardly call this reckless. Anything less than high explosives or yellow cake uranium seems like a pretty harmless purchase. Hell, even if their 100 bucks worth of bitcoin had somehow snagged them an AK it's not like they were going to use it to shoot something up. Glad the cops decided not to pursue.
I'm not sure where I stand on this, on one hand I agree cops have been getting over zealous recently and it's good to see somewhere where their not shooting first and not asking questions later. However on the other hand, regardless of what the items were used for the purchase of them supported organised crime and the supply of these items, something that isn't harmless.
Eh, I don't see this particular instance as a big deal. Sure we can make the argument that the hundred bucks worth of bitcoin went to bad people, but that's who the cops should be busting in the first place. We can also argue that the hundred bucks going to someone who isn't actually going to use it is better than it going to someone who will. Hell, one might "support organized crime" simply by eating at the wrong restaurant or getting drinks at the wrong bar. I can agree that that hundred bucks worth of bitcoin did go to support a bad industry, there's just no good reason to nail anyone to the wall for such a minor thing. This, to me, is one of those instances where justice is served by admitting that what happened was technically illegal and promptly not wasting everyone's time or giving anyone an unnecessary rap sheet by pursuing it. If I was a judge and the case came before me, I'd order them to community service by way of making them finish their exhibit (sans the drugs) and opening it to the pubic.