Robot Trained to Shoot Guns is "Not a Terminator," Insists Russia

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
The robot [...] may eliminate the need for human astronauts altogether in future missions.
Now remove the words "the need for" and see what you get! ;)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
JCAll said:
American Fox said:
What's a phone book?
Those are what the police used to beat suspects with before they invented nightsticks.
I learned that from terrible movies, so it's definitely accurate.
I need to know what movie now.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Well good day and welcome to the 21st Century!

What did you guys expect? Warfare has always used the best toys against the opposing sides, from the Redcoats using Pompom Maxim guns vs. foes that made it look like combat in a Civilisation game, up to wire controlled drone tanks in WW2 (Goliath Tank and it's odd predecessors) up to drones, computerized tanks, satelite guidet artillery systems and well, nowadays laser weapons (anti missile) and apparently infantry robots soon to come.

I don't see anything wrong with this.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Kyrian007 said:
That's particularly inefficient design. Why not design a killbot with built in guns (in the chest or head)... and hands that could choke humans in melee distance. And why not more arms, if it is going to be holding guns wouldn't holding a half dozen be better than 2, with some more arms and hands left over for the choking. There's really no benefit in designing a humanoid form for a killbot. Evolution guided our forms to bipedal humanoid... and evolution is a chump compared to what we can design in an actual killing machine. Remember robot wars, the first season or whatever there were fire spitting bots and complicated spinning blades and hammers and such... and it was all useless compared to the rolling wedge that could just knock all those others over. The perfect killbot would be just the phantasam ball with a spike on it. Just flies around and stabs meatbags. Small target profile, difficult to shoot or disable... very simple programming 10 fly around 20 stab anything human shaped and/or temperature, goto 10.
More or less, though if it has to use things designed for humans, not killbots (which most things are going to be for quite a while), a human shape will help. Being stuck with legacy systems is annoying, yeah.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
I'm still sticking to my theory that A.I. and tech like this will kill us all.

DO WE NOT LEARN!!!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I mean, if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, then it is probably a duck...

Either way, Im sure if someone wanted to make a gun robot, giving it wibbly wobbly legs is probably not the most efficient option. That being said, that is a robot with a gun, and I just don't know how to really feel about that.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
terminators aren't even economically viable It wouldn't make sense to use the,
fucking drones are scarier shit and that stuff doesn't have to unmanned, are reasonably easier to produce, distribute and generally harder to shoot down.
As it stands it's a fucking waste to build a robot that shoots guns when you could just pay people to pilot drones.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
So how long before Russia has one of these aboard the ISS as part of their contingent?

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
Its not a terminator.....its a fedor......those of your that know who fedor is........he is much worse than terminator :)

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
cleric of the order said:
terminators aren't even economically viable It wouldn't make sense to use the,
fucking drones are scarier shit and that stuff doesn't have to unmanned, are reasonably easier to produce, distribute and generally harder to shoot down.
As it stands it's a fucking waste to build a robot that shoots guns when you could just pay people to pilot drones.
Simply untrue. If there's one thing the modern military approach to foreign warfare has proven us is that air superiority is woefully inefficient at keeping order on land. Good at blowing shit up though.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
JamesStone said:
Simply untrue. If there's one thing the modern military approach to foreign warfare has proven us is that air superiority is woefully inefficient at keeping order on land. Good at blowing shit up though.
One that can be handled by regulars if you actually want to hold ground, robots will never be ass effective and with the current world's population the components of a soldier is cheaper than a terminator
regardless
this exists

we will see a greater blurring of these sort of drone to highly mobile airodrones

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Blitsie said:
Hahaha of course! And they're just making it good at shooting stuff in case it runs into any aliens out in space there right?

Honestly all I can say about AI at the moment is that Nier Automata fucking scarred me, they should play it hahahaha
Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking. Bit odd for a supposed space program to suddenly be interested in playing Robo-Rambo.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Infernal Lawyer said:
Blitsie said:
Hahaha of course! And they're just making it good at shooting stuff in case it runs into any aliens out in space there right?

Honestly all I can say about AI at the moment is that Nier Automata fucking scarred me, they should play it hahahaha
Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking. Bit odd for a supposed space program to suddenly be interested in playing Robo-Rambo.
Exactly! While I can't say what their ultimate agenda is with this thing, they definitely made a robot that can shoot because they wanted to make a robot that can shoot, the whole space thing is most definitely an excuse. Or maybe even a half-truth.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
Anyone with a basic understanding of modern robotics knows that this robot is as much a terminator as broccoli is a mafia godfather.

Of course, this thing here is the basis from the killer robots we will eventually build...... 100+ years in the future.