Robot wars Eat you heart out.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I admit, I would like to see the Japanese team reply to them!

In saying it kind feel like cheating if they're going to modify their weapons to meet theirs until in their reply video, they too are also going to alter their firepowers too.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I mean technically that's a mech but y'know...

OT: This sounds really cool but c'mon challenging Japan to a mech battle? You're just asking to get your ass kicked! :p

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Hazy992 said:
OT: This sounds really cool but c'mon challenging Japan to a mech battle? You're just asking to get your ass kicked! :p
But still it will be entertaining to watch. Too bad we haven't gotten anything to contribute to this mobilised mechanised motorised mayhem.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Also known as the Liberty Prime Jnr. Still, seems kind of unfair. 3,000 pounds over the competition. Not to mention two pilots concentrating on two mutually exclusive tasks, whereas the Japanese pilot is alone. Realistically, how quickly would the Japanese be able to design a similar weight class vehicle?

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
I would watch this all day, everyday, and when I was done I'd watch it some more.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Hazy992 said:
That's just a little bit racist, assuming Japan would be superior for mech construction and combat... Especially because 'mechs aren't an exclusively Japanese idea. Also the competitive 'mech combat was an idea I first came across in BattleTech's Solaris VII, a planet solely concerned with BattleMech competition and tourism revolving around that sport.

Honestly if this gets us closer to real mechs of, any kind, I'm all for it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Piloted robot"?

Yeah, that's not a robot, due to having, you know, pilots.

In any case, the US and Japan both have much more impressive piloted fighting machines. The Abrams comes to mind.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
thaluikhain said:
In any case, the US and Japan both have much more impressive piloted fighting machines. The Abrams comes to mind.

But where's the fun in watching two tanks duke it out compared to two mechs?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
YES! YEEES! HELL YES!! Giant robots are a thing and will remain a thing! You two! Fight to the death!

Ohhh, just you wait. One day...it will be Megas VS MechaGodzilla. Sweet metallic bliss. Mwa ha ha haaa...

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Oh my dear sweet baby Jesus! If this will actually become a thing and 1v1 mecha battles will become one of the forms of entertainment, I am SO going to watch it.
And imagine if this will actually be profitable!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Alright... I know my country will never be joining this, but as long as we get this on TV, or at least live-streaming, I'm OK with this!
C'mon Japan, I'm counting on you!

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
thaluikhain said:
"Piloted robot"?

Yeah, that's not a robot, due to having, you know, pilots.

Eh. Not to be overly pedantic (oh. Who am I kidding. I'm being very pedantic. XD)

But... A robot isn't necessarily an autonomous machine. A remote-controlled mechanical arm is just as much a robot as one that can move independently (whether because of AI or a fixed program)

... Although... Lots of things qualify as robots that we don't usually think of that way... So... Whatever. XD
An inkjet printer for instance contains a mechanical head assembly that more or less qualifies as a robot... >_>
The 3 axis system of a 3d printer makes that more visible, but the principle is the same either way.

Yeah. Robots. XD

Anyway, time to see giant robots fight! This should be amusing. In a dumb sort of way.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Anyway, time to see giant robots fight! This should be amusing. In a dumb sort of way.
I dunno if we get to Arena battles that rake in huge money it's not dumb. I mean think of all the people who could qualify for such a sport that couldn't qualify for other professional sports. Plus it'd be driving human technological advancement foreword. So really if competitive mech battles become a real sport, it would actually be pretty smart, like how current Robot Wars and BattleBots is actually a really smart competitive sport/game. At the very least it wouldn't be as dumb as professional "wrestling."

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Guffe said:
Alright... I know my country will never be joining this, but as long as we get this on TV, or at least live-streaming, I'm OK with this!
I don't know, Kimi Räikkönen as driver and Kaisa Mäkäräinen as gunner would be a pretty awesome combo.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
CrystalShadow said:
I dunno if we get to Arena battles that rake in huge money it's not dumb. I mean think of all the people who could qualify for such a sport that couldn't qualify for other professional sports. Plus it'd be driving human technological advancement foreword. So really if competitive mech battles become a real sport, it would actually be pretty smart, like how current Robot Wars and BattleBots is actually a really smart competitive sport/game. At the very least it wouldn't be as dumb as professional "wrestling."
Hmm. I suppose there are advantages.
Just as Formula One might seem like a stupid waste of money, but actually leads a lot of research with widespread applications.
(the obvious one being better cars, but other stuff sometimes as well.)

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
albino boo said:
Guffe said:
I don't know, Kimi Räikkönen as driver and Kaisa Mäkäräinen as gunner would be a pretty awesome combo.
True true xD

Just give Kimi a machine that's small, fast and easy to operate and Kaisa some practice in shooting while moving and we're good to go.
Of course we could throw in Pitkämäki on the other side and have him throw spears, if he can hit a human 90m out, I bet a big robot won't be a problem...

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
CrystalShadow said:
Hmm. I suppose there are advantages.
Just as Formula One might seem like a stupid waste of money, but actually leads a lot of research with widespread applications.
(the obvious one being better cars, but other stuff sometimes as well.)
Plus Robot Wars/BattleBots has pushed advancements in robotics.

There are tons of potential non-combat use for giant robots/mechs; load lifting, construction, demolition, fire fighting, law enforcement, logging, mining, agriculture, exploration of hostile environments, and so much more. Getting a sport that makes the idea popular would be fantastic for further research and development.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Hazy992 said:
That's just a little bit racist, assuming Japan would be superior for mech construction and combat... Especially because 'mechs aren't an exclusively Japanese idea. Also the competitive 'mech combat was an idea I first came across in BattleTech's Solaris VII, a planet solely concerned with BattleMech competition and tourism revolving around that sport.

Honestly if this gets us closer to real mechs of, any kind, I'm all for it.
(shrugs) they just taught an industrial robot to wield a Katana.

I know who my money is on.

Also, remember battletech took a lot of its more iconic designs from anime.