Robotics Engineer Builds Pocket-Sized Portal Personality Cores

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Robotics Engineer Builds Pocket-Sized Portal Personality Cores

What better way to start the day than with mad AIs that fit in the palm of you hand?

When he's not busy working on robots, engineer Chris Myles likes to spend his time recreating things from videogames and movies. Hot on the heels of his rather dangerous-looking hidden blade [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109919-Assassins-Creed-Blade-Replica-Perfect-for-Cosplay-Actual-Murder] from the Assassin's Creed, he's created diminutive replicas of the four personality cores from Portal 2.

Those of you who have finished Portal 2 - and for those who haven't, there are some spoilers ahead - will undoubtedly remember the cores from the final fight with Wheatley. With their unique and special defectiveness, the space-obsessed Space Core, the dashing Adventure Core - or Rick, as he prefers to be called - and the knowledgeable Fact Core help Chell and GLaDOS avoid being vaporized by facility's impending destruction.

To honor their heroic efforts - or just because he thought they looked cool - Myles has recreated tiny replicas of the three cores, as well as Wheatley. Not just any replicas either, but incredibly detailed replicas with moveable, light-up eyes. As you can see from the video, the mechanism used to move the eyes around is only a little bigger than a quarter, and yet they're capable of an amazing range of movement.

Unfortunately, Myles says that he isn't interested in selling the cores and he isn't interested in making any more of them, so we can only look on in admiration at their fine craftsmanship. There are more images of the cores on Myles' Flickr [http://www.flickr.com/photos/ammnra/5720642774/in/set-72157626669964230 ] page, where you can see how detailed they really are.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/16/portable-portal-2-personality-cores-are-ready-for-adventure/]

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Ah such a shame valve doesn't get in on stuff like this, portal toys would sell so well, the plush turret, these spheres, seriously add something to make them talk and they would sell like hot cakes.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Daw, if these were a toy line of diffrent cores, that would be awesome and he could make millions if he was allowed.

I want the curious one from the first Portal! "Ooh, what's that? What is that? That thing has numbers on it. That thing is round. Who are you, lady? Where are you taking me?"

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
My guess is someone is going to make Glados next.

But still awesome craftsmen ship on these spheres, although he got the Red one wrong, it should be Yellow

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
If Valve were to do only one intelligent thing for the rest of the year, it would be buying these off that guy and selling them. I'd happily buy the lot of them (as well as the space sphere).

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
arc1991 said:
My guess is someone is going to make Glados next.

But still awesome craftsmen ship on these spheres, although he got the Red one wrong, it should be Yellow
Don't give them ideas. We'll be doomed!

On topic though, it's a shame he's not interested in making more of these. I'm not into toys, but I would definitely buy them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Dear Valve

Make this happen or give that guy the right to mass produce them!!! I think their sizes they would be great as key chain.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Martin van Wijk said:
thats not the space sphere, but the anger core (portal 1)

space core/sphere is yellow...
The video makes the light look more red than it is. It's the Space Core.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I'd totally buy it, if i would see it in a shop. Looks really cool. Now if it were able to talk, too...
That would be even more mega-super-awesome. But as it is, it's still damn cool.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Valve needs to get on this. It's free fuckin' money for them. And I would bet anything that the yellow core would sell like crazy.

"SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!"

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
If they were for sale and could speak at least random lines form the game i would buy every single one of them! I would settle for a mini companion cube if i had any idea where to get one..

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
That basterd! He plans to keep all to him self! And what do we get?! Some pictures and a video! Basterd!

OT: That is so awesome. I wish he would do more and sell them. As it has been pointed out those would be awesome as key chains.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Its strange the day i finished portal 2 i was thinking "i want some sweet ass miniture replicas for my desk.... AND NOW I CAN HAVE THEM!

I wish they would make offical cores and sell them.