Robots Invade Scottish Hospital

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, its a good step...as long as they dont take oer clinical care! Then I will be scared!

BlackKraken

Apr 4, 2009
Im frankly disappointed in the escapists rampant robotism, they are our friends and equals and //WE WILL DESTROY YOU PUNY MEATBAGS//

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Man, that's cool. That said it would be wise to not anger the robots if they have access to our surgery gear and medical supplies.
So it's cool but I'd be cautious.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I think it's worth pointing out that these are robots, not androids and won't resemble anything vaguely Science Fiction-like.

The hospital Pharmacy I used to work has a robot which dispenses prescriptions and medicines, and it's basically just a giant (almost the size of an entire room) computer controlled vending machine, and I suspect these robot Porters will just resemble electric pallet trolleys or small electric pallet trucks.

We've been using robots like these for decades, and I think it's only impressive because people confuse the term robot with android, so they envisage things like a T-800 endoskeleton as opposed to a vending machine or the automated assembly lines used in factories.

Christopher Dudgeon

Mar 24, 2010
I've seen them and there just automated pallet lifts lol

Here is some footage of them in action

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/10344849.stm

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
AnAngryMoose said:
RebelRising said:
Scotland is the last place I imagined this happening, but there you go.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Just one question though: will the robots wear kilts?
And will they speak in loud Scottish accents?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Think about it:

1. Technophobic senior patient needs to be moved.
2. Assign robot to task.
3. Senior patient is moved to cardio ward due to sudden heart attack.
4. Profit! These robots could pay off themselves in less than a year!

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
AnAngryMoose said:
zHellas said:
AnAngryMoose said:
RebelRising said:

Hell infuse them with Scottish genes!
Haha..ha..ha...

I'm actually a student nurse that lives in the area and I've been to the new hospital, believe it or not, it as actually AWESOME :p

The reception has a Starbucks too! lol

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Sacre Bleu! Ze ruvoluzion haz started!
I must alert napurleon from hiz cryo state!
But seriously, if robots ARE going to break asimov's rules of robotics, tits will inevitably go up(maybe thats wahta will happen in 2012).

Oh yeah and that hospital is doomed if they have a mental ward because the robots will start questioning their own existence.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Lopunny said:
AnAngryMoose said:
zHellas said:
AnAngryMoose said:
RebelRising said:

Hell infuse them with Scottish genes!
Haha..ha..ha...

I'm actually a student nurse that lives in the area and I've been to the new hospital, believe it or not, it as actually AWESOME :p

The reception has a Starbucks too! lol
This makes me want to go into medicine and move to Scotland now. A Starbucks too? Seriously?!

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Holy mother of fuck. It is officially the future.
This... this is real, right? I hope this is real.

What's really amazing is that this is happening in the UK. America or Japan or something, I could understand. But Scotland? Woah.

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
Monkfish Acc. said:
Holy mother of fuck. It is officially the future.
This... this is real, right? I hope this is real.

What's really amazing is that this is happening in the UK. America or Japan or something, I could understand. But Scotland? Woah.
As I've said before, it really is awesome, alot of people are amazed its in Scoland but I'd argue that Scotland's healthcare is of a higher standard than England!

AnAngryMoose said:
This makes me want to go into medicine and move to Scotland now. A Starbucks too? Seriously?!
Haha, yeah, and a WHSmith newsagent/bookshop too. It really is VERY high tech with security passkeys and such and of course its brand new, massive inside, very bright with windows everywhere and a really nice healthy eating restaurant. It won't be fully operational for a while yet, but some of the wards are open already. There are two other Hospitals nearby and their services are being moved into the new one.

Alot of these things have been made possible by the fact they saved alot because they didn't need to buy the land it was built on, its on the grounds of a old hospital.

Anyway, I went on a wee ramble there....