Rock Band to Guitar Hero: Thanks for the Memories

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the creators of Guitar Hero are expressing their condolences for the death of the franchise they created while somewhat lording their continued existence over the GH employees? Such a weird thing.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It's still kind of hard to believe, especially since DLC for Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock was just released. I was always more of a Guitar Hero fan but Rock Band is the same game. I really hope Rock Band: Japan is still in the works though...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That's what happens when you saturate the market with 4 Guitar Heroes in one year, with separate peripherals for each of those games, separate DLC for each game, never improving upon the core gameplay, and having songs that are completely out of place for a Guitar Hero game (Fuck you, Kotick!)

While that may sound a bit harsh, I say that in the most sombre way I can. Guitar Hero 1 and 2 were great games and they spawned an entire genre. Without Guitar Hero, or Rock Band, there would be hundreds of songs I never would have known about or have the pleasure to listen to. The thing that I worry about the most, however, is that due to Guitar Hero saturating the market, Rock Band may suffer because of this.

But regardless, I bid thee farewell. You'll always have a special place in my heart, Guitar Hero.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh wow, now I hate Harmonix, or at least that guy. What a bunch of cocky fuckers, putting out fake sympathy for people who lost their jobs at another company and trying to say "Our game is still here, buy it" despite the fact that their own game bombed just as badly as the last Guitar Hero and it caused them to lay people off themselves just three days ago. Not to mention that they got sold for only $50 and that they have pretty much nothing on their plate right now, so they're basically next in line for a complete closure. I look forward to your impending bite in the ass from karma, Mr. Drake. I'm just sorry it'll come along with a lot of people who are probably decent folks losing their jobs as well.

Scrumpmonkey said:
I feel sorry for Harmonix to be honest, their sector of the games industry has basically been raped out of existance by a gaint evil mega-corporation and may never really recover. Rockband has been a bastion of restraint, taste and quality when compared to the depths of depravity the GH series was contorted into.
I fail to see how Rock Band putting out at least one game a year for quite a few years and doing the same crap Guitar Hero did with the games based around one band is a "bastion of restraint, taste and quality". Rock Band as a franchise has been just as shameless a whore as Guitar Hero was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band#Games From 2008 forward, it turned into another "at least one a year, but more of course for more moneyz!" franchise just like Guitar Hero. Especially 2009; if I may borrow a phrase from Yahtzee, Rock Band was a triple-cunted hooker in 2009.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
HankMan said:
Now there's games to be made,
Guitar solos to be played,
On the franchise that is,
still alive
/thread. That's all I have to say about that.

I converted to Rock Band a long time ago, but as Guitar Hero 3 was the game that got me into a lot of good music, I'm a little sad. They really killed themselves by releasing SO MANY Guitar Hero titles though.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
mjc0961 said:
I fail to see how Rock Band putting out at least one game a year for quite a few years and doing the same crap Guitar Hero did with the games based around one band is a "bastion of restraint, taste and quality". Rock Band as a franchise has been just as shameless a whore as Guitar Hero was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band#Games From 2008 forward, it turned into another "at least one a year, but more of course for more moneyz!" franchise just like Guitar Hero. Especially 2009; if I may borrow a phrase from Yahtzee, Rock Band was a triple-cunted hooker in 2009.
You're kind of missing the point there.
Yeah, there have been quite a few Rock Band games released since Harmonix split from Activision but, in the same time period, there have been twice as many Guitar Hero games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero

You're free to believe that Harmonix have been selling out, but to claim Rock Band's been selling out as much as Guitar Hero is blatantly false.

Mogule

Mar 17, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Oh wow, now I hate Harmonix, or at least that guy. What a bunch of cocky fuckers, putting out fake sympathy for people who lost their jobs at another company and trying to say "Our game is still here, buy it" despite the fact that their own game bombed just as badly as the last Guitar Hero and it caused them to lay people off themselves just three days ago.
Holy run-on sentence Batman! However, I believe you have forgot that these two companies used to work with each other. I'm sure they still have some of the same staff since then, maybe even a few friends over there. I'd also like to mention that it's a damn shame to see a franchise you created to be over-used and prostituted to death by a producer that hasn't had the best record with making friends with customers or developers. On top of that, when this is also your only other 'serious' competitor, it's a bit nerve-wrecking to see when you're not doing too hot yourself.

mjc0961 said:
Not to mention that they got sold for only $50
Source?

mjc0961 said:
and that they have pretty much nothing on their plate right now,
Source?

mjc0961 said:
so they're basically next in line for a complete closure.
OBJECTION!! Speculation! Also, source? I think you missed a few things while skimming their wiki page. For the first five years, they had nearly 0 revenue. Did you catch that? ZERO. Yet here they are. These guys know what they need to do to keep the company alive, unfortunately, it 'may' mean more layoffs. I have yet to see a bad review on Rock Band 3. I'm sure RB4 (if it happens) will be even more spectacular.

mjc0961 said:
I look forward to your impending bite in the ass from karma, Mr. Drake. I'm just sorry it'll come along with a lot of people who are probably decent folks losing their jobs as well.
There you go with your speculation again.

mjc0961 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
I feel sorry for Harmonix to be honest, their sector of the games industry has basically been raped out of existance by a gaint evil mega-corporation and may never really recover. Rockband has been a bastion of restraint, taste and quality when compared to the depths of depravity the GH series was contorted into.

Unfortunately here, you may be partially right. Might I point out that most years with more than one game, had the games on different systems. One minor slip in 2010 with Rock Band: Green Day is still a slip for a one-a-year track that they had. However, Harmonix knew what would be good in the first Rock Band. When it was time for a sequel, they listened to consumers, and they tweaked the game. They didn't mess with bells and whistles to make the game flashy. They messed with the gameplay, they messed with the setlist, and they messed with the graphics, all in efforts to make them better. The outcome? An amazingly well polished game that could only be better by what? Integrating the real instruments in.

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
mjc0961 said:

You will be surprised to note that 7 of those titles are exportable packaged DLC, made available for those who don't want to buy the songs online, and 4 of them are portable games, which should never count towards your total major releases unless it is its own franchise.

Comparably, there were 16 major GH releases, and 6 RB releases.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
good riddance to Guitar Hero. the series has been crap since Harmonix left got kicked out. however, to be fair, the newest Rock Band game sucks hardcore, also :(

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Jamboxdotcom said:
good riddance to Guitar Hero. the series has been crap since Harmonix left got kicked out. however, to be fair, the newest Rock Band game sucks hardcore, also :(
aaaaaannnd false.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
saintchristopher said:
Jamboxdotcom said:
aaaaaannnd false.
how can an opinion be false? i loved GH 1 and 2, hated everything after that, with the partial exception of GH:WT. same with RB. loved 1 and 2, but 3 pisses me off. and i know many people who share that opinion.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Jamboxdotcom said:
saintchristopher said:
Jamboxdotcom said:
aaaaaannnd false.
how can an opinion be false? i loved GH 1 and 2, hated everything after that, with the partial exception of GH:WT. same with RB. loved 1 and 2, but 3 pisses me off. and i know many people who share that opinion.
Fine. [HEADING=1]I DISAGREE.[/HEADING]

Twuk

Dec 18, 2010
For the longest time, the level of fanboyism between Rock Band and Guitar Hero players was almost as hectic as the Genre Wars we have going on. I wonder how all the RB fans are reacting to this news...

I always loved Rock Band more than Guitar Hero simply because with each RB release, I actually saw that Harmonix gave two shits about its consumers by giving them what they want in their game. It really doesn't surprise me that the GH series took the plunge.