Rocket league has no right to be what it is

Sep 14, 2009
Race cars + indoor soccer = stupidest thing I'd heard of for a game idea this year...and it should be illegal how much fun this damn game is, I hadn't heard of it up until a week ago, and finally after having some friends bug me enough I decided to try it out, and it is just stupid amounts of fun (literally and figuratively, it is such a dumb concept that works out in the best way possible.).

pros:

-local splitscreen up to 4 players, even on pc, these days, this is rare as fuck and is a welcomed sight.
-customization out the wazoo (over a billion combinations to customize your car)
- easy to learn, difficult to master
-local bots (this is essentially what tipped me on the edge into buying it)
-single player/season campaign for those who don't wish to play online
-replays that can be saved and distributed (visa vis halo multiplayer and such)

cons:

-not many maps, and there aren't any goofy modes (such as adding items, more/different field effects, etc..) like in mario soccer or other similar games

for those who haven't seen the game

now, besides me gushing over this game, I'm curious if anyone else has played this game, and if anyone wants to share any games in the past year or so that they initially thought sounded/looked stupid, but ended up loving it after trying it.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I got Super Sonic Aerobatic Rocket-powered Battle Cars from the PS store as a time killer a couple years ago during the winter and by god it was some entertaining shit. I was caught back by its sequel, I hadn't heard it being made at all so I guess its promotion wasn't that great but I'm really glad to see it doing well in Steam sales.

There's a bunch of these sort of games. (I vaguely recall one about robots playing a dodgeball/basketball type game on Steam which was really entertaining too, Super Hexagon is another I like). There not really games you can sink in massive amounts of hours into as they can go stale quick but as a sort of "I have twenty minutes to kill, fire it up" it's absolutely perfect.

I'm more of a GSG player, but I have feck all personal time nowadays so I've a love for these types of games

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
I love the game!
Played Super Sonic Aerobatic Rocket-powered Battle Cars alot on PS3 and this is even more fun.
THe first game had alot more crazy maps and the devs have said tha tthey want to add more crazy maps over time (for free).

It has 3 million downloads so far so the promotion can't be that bad. ;)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Pandalisk said:
I got Super Sonic Aerobatic Rocket-powered Battle Cars from the PS store as a time killer a couple years ago during the winter and by god it was some entertaining shit. I was caught back by its sequel, I hadn't heard it being made at all so I guess its promotion wasn't that great but I'm really glad to see it doing well in Steam sales.

There's a bunch of these sort of games. (I vaguely recall one about robots playing a dodgeball/basketball type game on Steam which was really entertaining too, Super Hexagon is another I like). There not really games you can sink in massive amounts of hours into as they can go stale quick but as a sort of "I have twenty minutes to kill, fire it up" it's absolutely perfect.
Well... As long as you don't get xaught up in 'completing' them, as I did. (super hexagon I mean. Bit trip beat also comes to mind)

Because then you end up like me, playing these weird minimalist games for 100+ hours. Not all at once of course, but wow does it take forever to get good enough at them to get through all the stages...

on topic, I've seen my fair share of dumb sounding things that work anyway, but onceagain my memory is sabotaging me... And I can't think of any specific examples. ~sigh~

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Gah, I want this game so bad. It looks so fun, even for the local splitscreen alone. It'll have to wait a bit, though. But I'll be getting it ASAP.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
*Football.

Okay, now that that particular obligation has been fulfilled, OMFGHOLYSHIT ROCKET LEAGUE IS THE BEST FOOTBALL GAME SINCE FIFA STREET (the original ones on the PS2, not the modern one).

My friend sent me a youtube link, and within 3 minutes of the video starting I'd already bought the game. It's just so mad.
You get good enough and you can do some insane things, particularly with mid-air rocket boosts.

And because this video will probably never be relevant again, I'm a post it here.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ya... I wonder how many of you will play after a month, seems most of the hyped up enjoyment people proclaim comes from popular Youtubers enjoying it.

Not that the game isn't good at what it does, but it does very little. They only have the one standard map and the cars while visually impressive have next to no mechanical variety, so within 5 matches you have already seen all that is on offer.
I would give it a much greater endorsement if we got a wide range of maps, modes, items, weapons, ... there is just a whole whole lot more they could be doing, but they hit that YT popularity jackpot so it's not very likely they will do anything more.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Smooth Operator said:
Ya... I wonder how many of you will play after a month, seems most of the hyped up enjoyment people proclaim comes from popular Youtubers enjoying it.

Not that the game isn't good at what it does, but it does very little. They only have the one standard map and the cars while visually impressive have next to no mechanical variety, so within 5 matches you have already seen all that is on offer.
I would give it a much greater endorsement if we got a wide range of maps, modes, items, weapons, ... there is just a whole whole lot more they could be doing, but they hit that YT popularity jackpot so it's not very likely they will do anything more.
I played it, and I haven't based it off of any Youtuber.

I find it to be one of the best designed multiplayer games I've ever played. Yes, it is quite deceptively simple. The game would actually be *worse* if more inelegant options were added in. Some of the beauty is in the fact that it has that simple universal appeal. If you're looking for more content, this isn't where to find it - it's where to have the opportunity to improve as a player and enjoy the competition.

I absolutely love the game so far, and while it does take some time to "invest" in it, the payoff is really quite rewarding once you start getting good.

Sep 14, 2009
Smooth Operator said:

i personally dont pay attention to any youtubers at all, so I only heard about this from friends, and while yes I wish it had more maps/modes/items, it's still an amazing amount of fun and I can't wait to have it around for when family or friends come over. I'm treating this akin to how I would treat a mario sports game, yes they are lots of fun, but are more for hanging out with friends and such otherwise it becomes stale.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
My only question is; do you have any form of control over the ball, or are you just bumping into it and hoping that it goes the right way all whilest firing weapons at the enemy players?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
[HEADING=1]ROCKET LEAGUE![/HEADING]

Yeah, it's pretty great. Only problem so far has been the servers, but I'm fairly sure that's pretty much entirely down to them not expecting the game to be such a massive success.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This game is stroke of genius, 5 min addictive hits of unbridled fun. Never heard of it until it was given away on psn this month, probably never would have tried it either. But I am so damn glad I did. Cannot imagine watching someone else on youtube have all the fun instead. That just sounds sliiightly depressing.
It is great for a moment of not knowing what to play, just a match on Rocket league to pass these 5 min....hey, why is it dark already??
I remember reading somewhere that they are bringing out the more interesting maps for free once the developers feel they have laid the introductory groundwork for new players
Can.

Not.

Wait.

Edit: Ah link for suresies...
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/07/07/paid-and-free-rocket-league-dlc-coming-this-month/

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Smooth Operator said:
Then again, Counterstike has even less mechanical variety and look how that's doing over the years. Looking at it a bit, I'd say that Rocket League seems to be rewarding player creativity a lot more than most multiplayer games actually. Lots of trick shots and creatively using the dodges, jumps and boosts and whatnot.

I hope it'll do well in the future in any case. I might not play it myself, but I appreciate multiplayer games like this. It seems like one of those easy to learn, hard to mater affairs in which a tight set of mechanics allow the player to do a lot of cool stuff. One of those games that's 100% about fun.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
bluegate said:
My only question is; do you have any form of control over the ball, or are you just bumping into it and hoping that it goes the right way all whilest firing weapons at the enemy players?
You don't have weapons at all (You can kill people by boosting into them under circumstances I'm not entirely sure of)

Besides speed and basic pool shot angles, you can jump, and flip the car around, allowing you to do some more complicated maneuvers. The simplest form is flipping back as you touch the ball to lift it.

My main gripe with it is that the hitboxes are kind of wonky. I'm guessing it's because all the car models use the same one, so it's oddly standardized. Its noticeable in replays especially, how often the car doesn't touch the ball for a hit. Along with some of the more squared off truck-like ones clearly reacting as if they have a sloped racecar hood.

Sep 14, 2009
bluegate said:
not really, you have to hit it in just the right place (say if you jumped and then rocket boosted and hit the top right corner of the ball, it's going to give it nasty top spin and probably send it rocketing towards the left side) but otherwise there aren't any abilities outside of that, the only weapon you have is super boosting into the back of your enemies vehicle which blows it up.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Rocket League is the only recent fad game that I have genuinely enjoyed a great deal. Its simplicity, whilst its greatest downfall, is also by far its greatest strength.

Damn that game is so satisfying.