Rocket Racoon comic's 2nd issue see's sales plunge

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
After Rocket Racoon issue 1 saw record sales of 300,000 in July

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136774-Rocket-Raccoon-Leads-Comics-to-Best-Month-Ever-in-July-2014

August's 2nd issues see's a 245,000 sales drop to 56,597 copies sold.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55365

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Wow, that's a pretty dame big fall. I mean, a 30-50% downturn between the first and second issue of a new comic is normal, but 81% down? Holy shit, that's spectacular. Now I'm not a fan, the only comic I'm currently reading is Secret Avengers, but how? How did that happen? Was the comic really that bad?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The answer's simple. The first issue took advantage of the hype leading up the movie. The second... didn't.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Wow. I've not read it but was it overhyped and spectacularly failed to meant expectations or something? A large drop off after the initial is normal but I wouldn't expect it to be by that much. Although maybe it is normal for one thats hype comes from a movie.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I wouldn't be surprised if it was because a bunch of people who don't read comic books saw Guardians of the Galaxy, went out and bought the first comic, read it, and then remembered why they don't read comic books.

I mean, it's pretty normal for there to be a sales drop for comics under normal circumstances, but considering the Guardians of the Galaxy movie just came out and was incredibly popular it's completely possible that it got a bunch of people to buy the first issue of this series and then then all those people immediately dropped it, not because it was bad but because they realized they just don't care about comics in general.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Zontar said:
Wow, that's a pretty dame big fall. I mean, a 30-50% downturn between the first and second issue of a new comic is normal, but 81% down? Holy shit, that's spectacular. Now I'm not a fan, the only comic I'm currently reading is Secret Avengers, but how? How did that happen? Was the comic really that bad?
Johnny Novgorod said:
The answer's simple. The first issue took advantage of the hype leading up the movie. The second... didn't.
DementedSheep said:
Wow. I've not read it but is overhyped and spectacularly failed to meant expectations or something? A large drop off after the initial is normal but I wouldn't expect it to be by that much. Although maybe it is normal for one thats hype comes from a movie.
Dirty Hipsters said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was because a bunch of people who don't read comic books saw Guardians of the Galaxy, went out and bought the first comic, read it, and then remembered why they don't read comic books.

I mean, it's pretty normal for there to be a sales drop for comics under normal circumstances, but considering the Guardians of the Galaxy movie just came out and was incredibly popular it's completely possible that it got a bunch of people to buy the first issue of this series and then then all those people immediately dropped it, not because it was bad but because they realized they just don't care about comics in general.

The first issue was used by loot crate ( http://www.lootcrate.com/ ) and was originally stated by Marvel to be for 'only' 100,000 copies of the 300,000 but most believe loot crate's order was far higher and based on the 2nd week drop it was much closer to 200,000 copies for loot crate.