Rocksmith 2014 Dev Video Shows Off New Look, Menu

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Rocksmith 2014 Dev Video Shows Off New Look, Menu

The Creative and Art teams share how the sequel's aesthetics have moved away from the "man cave" style of the original game.

Feeling like a big star playing to a loud, sold-out crowd is great when you have mastered the elaborate solo, but when you stutter through it twenty or thirty times, trying to get it perfect, an empty practice room feels less intimidating. "Open, airy, nice, and friendly," is the feeling that the developers say they were going for with the sequel to the original Rocksmith. In a video released today, the development team at Studio SF in Ubisoft's San Francisco office share the reasoning behind some changes to the design and user interface in Rocksmith 2014.

Technical Art Project Lead Aaron Murray says, "We had this idea of this is inclusive and it's the opposite of "man cave", but it's still credible - we were always hanging on to the credibility, the gear and the guitars and all the stuff." The developers looked to interior design, fashion design, and album covers while creating the loft over which the menus appear. The video also shows off the physical set for the lesson videos, a white brick apartment space full of comfortable chairs, amplifiers, and beautiful guitars. Omar Siu, Environment Art Lead, says that the set was so well liked by the team and the performers that "We didn't want to take it down."

Rocksmith 2014 teaches guitar using a real guitar as a controller. Any guitar with a standard 1/4 inch output jack is compatible. In addition to lessons and feedback on your playing, the game includes a Session Mode that lets you play with AI musicians who respond to what you play, mini-games for practicing scales and technique, and a Riff Repeater Mode accessible at any time in a song for practicing difficult sections. Ubisoft revealed the full track list [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128769-Rocksmith-2014-Reveals-Full-Track-List] for the game on October 16. Rocksmith 2014 is available now for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and Mac.

Source: PlayStation.com [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/22/rocksmith-2014-edition-an-all-new-inclusive-experience/].

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I wish that the cable wasn't so bloody expensive; I have an electric guitar that I never bothered to learn, and I feel that Rocksmith would be the way to do this, sadly the game+the cable is waay to expensive for what is essentially a gamified tutorial program.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Akichi Daikashima said:
I wish that the cable wasn't so bloody expensive; I have an electric guitar that I never bothered to learn, and I feel that Rocksmith would be the way to do this, sadly the game+the cable is waay to expensive for what is essentially a gamified tutorial program.
I got the first game plus cable for 30 bucks for the 360. I then got the first game for 7.50 on a Steam sale (maybe less) figuring the DLC would go on sale sometimes, and it has. Now I just need to get my guitar back so I can play more.

Edit: my point is, you can probably find a deal if you shop around. Also, mine was for the guitar/bass edition; I think you can get Vanilla Rocksmith 1 for even less.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I'm curious about this game. It uses real guitars, right? Is it possible to learn to play by working up through difficulty levels on this game or is it not possible? I've been wanting to pick up and learn an instrument lately but not sure which one. Thinking this might be a good start.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
VanQ said:
I'm curious about this game. It uses real guitars, right? Is it possible to learn to play by working up through difficulty levels on this game or is it not possible? I've been wanting to pick up and learn an instrument lately but not sure which one. Thinking this might be a good start.
It is an amazing tool for learning from scratch to play guitar. It has dynamic difficulty based upon your level of skill, so the more you screw up, or are bad, it eases up for you, until you nail the easy mode, then gradually ramps up the difficulty as you progress and get better.

Even though i had already been a guitar/bass player for a long time, it is still a great play - especially if you are rusty lol