Rockstar Confirms GTA Online Repeat Mission Cash Slashed

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
What really bugs me is the fact that I cant choose the missions and its not my fault that they repeat since the game is the one that picks them. I could keep asking for the jobs but the time that it takes overall isnt worth it since they will keep throwing at you the same missions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lord_Gremlin said:
Hah, ha-ha.

I wonder if they think somebody would actually believe them, or just spouting BS without much hope of getting any benefit from it?
It's a natural corporate defense mechanism. But this is Rockstar. By default, thousands (at the very least) of fans will defend them.

Quiotu said:
So... I'm curious. I can see two reasons for playing a mission over and over again.
3. You're only getting a handful of missions in the first place.

I don't know about you, but my mission options are fairly limited. Hell, I know people in their 60s who are still getting limited mission options, even though they theoretically have more missions available. If you want to do missions, you're not stuck with many options in the first place.

Keep in mind, this is permanent. Once you've played a mission once, you get half value beyond that. I Played a mission a second time three days later. Hardly the grind or exploit you're talking about. The half-cash barely covered my ammo.

Oh, and we'll all just ignore everything else that was done in that patch, like lowering the maximum price for dying in freeplay mode to $500, or adding the contact missions in the post-match voting screen.
Except we're not ignoring it. People are talking about those things. Just not here. Why? Oh, I don't know, because this is about the confirmation that they've done this specific thing. So we're talking about this specific thing.

Cry more. It's a balancing patch. Deal with it.
It's a poorly balanced balancing patch. I'll let my dear friend and fellow feline Fappy field this:

Fappy said:
If they want to stop grinding thy are looking in the wrong places. If you have at least two people you can grind races and make tons of money/exp in no time.
Yeah, that. Seriously, as someone pointed out previous, you can still make a ton of money coming in LAST place in a race. It's super easy to grind races, too. Far easier, I might add, than the grinding of missions.

Kalezian said:
Races only really pay out if you place a bet, and seeing how borked the racing is right now you run a high chance of outright losing that amount because someone with a completely modded personal vehicle leaves you in the dust.
Races pay out as long as you finish, and pretty well for completely losing. Besides, you can make races without custom vehicles.

But then, that's the problem. They claim they're trying to stop people from grinding the system, while leaving in the easiest ways to grind the system. They're punishing people who are doing something different. I mean, they already took out the replay options. They took out the replay glitch. It should be hard to simply spam missions over and over again now, right? So why further decrease cash (especially since they already nerfed some of the better payouts, like Violence Duct or whatever it's called)?

Seriously, I didn't want to spam races, but I think I'm going to be doing a lot more of them from now on.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
What a surprise. A online game feature added on to what is essentially a single player game turns out to be buggy, shallow, and now a thinly veiled attempt to keep on fleecing their customers for more cash. Who woulda thunk it.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
I can see why they've done it and, in a way, it is a good thing. If a couple of missions are being endlessly replayed just for people to boost cash then they are more than obliged to step in and balance the playing field. The problem with doing it right now is that there is only a finite number of missions. Eventually everyone is going to get to the point where they have no choice but to replay missions.

In my opinion the best thing to do would have been to procedurally generate missions (go to , do , get ) in addition to the designed ones. That way you cut down on the problems behind the reason for the change: more missions --> more fun, constantly changing --> people get better in general and not just at one particular set-up.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
This is PR code for "You people aren't spending enough in micro transactions, so we're cutting the supply of free money, now get into PVP and buy our shit you useless freeloaders!"
Since micro transactions aren't currently enabled, I'd have to say no to this idea. You still make decent enough money, and can make a shit ton of money doing racing.

The part I AM upset about, is the weird nerf on survival missions, where were pretty awesome, specifically the boneyard one. They made it so you can't "cheat" by getting up on the low roof and using it as a vantage point. A vantage point that's still really tough to defend, and where you will still get your ass handed to you starting on Wave 4. How did they do this? EASY! They decided to kick you without warning if you get on the roof, and penalize you for leaving the match before it was finished.

Mar 30, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I kinda doubt this to be the case. After all, Rockstar are giving all GTA Online players $500,000 of in-game readies this month to apologise for the server issues at launch. That's far from cutting the supply of free cash.
Except they're doing that specifically to pay off their screw-ups. A lot of people lost more than what they're offering. This isn't a magnanimous gesture, it's specifically to stop people from raging and demanding refunds and the like.

"Sorry your character, cash, and progression are all gone. Here's some money to make up for it!"

Unless they're planning routine payouts, this isn't really an indicator that they're not drying up the cash. It just means we've got one promised hurrah before they do.
Oh I know they're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, I just don't think they'd essentially 'water down' their online currency to such an extent if their end-goal was to herald in a microtransaction system. Neither would I be surprised if a daily/weekly challenge system was brought into a future update - y'know, all that 'hold up 15 convenience stores in today to earn $20,000' kinda stuff. /speculation

Also, as far as I can figure it (never having played a microtransaction system before), the main problem with microtransactions is that they allow players with too mush spare cash lying around to overpower players who play the game in a more normal fashion and are therefore less well equipped. Well, surely this injection of $500,000 (even though it is a compensation payment) will help to limit the damage of 'pay-to-win' players? Or maybe not. Like I said, I have zero hands-on experience with microtransaction systems.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
It's bullshit like this that made people start finding all the money-making glitches in the first place. It's already damn-near impossible to amass any kind of wealth in a manner that wouldn't take a month, but now they're slashing payouts for high-paying missions if you've already done them before? Yeah, that's a load of bullshit if you ask me. They're going to tinker and tweak this money system and just keep pissing everyone off with each new "NO MONEY FOR YOU!" policy they implement and I honestly won't be surprised if there is indeed a massive drop off of server population. I can understand taking out the "sell a car over and over" glitch or the "sell cars worth over 50K" glitch...but to make missions you've already done essentially pointless to play again is just fucking stupid.

Fucking pricks...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If they are worried about people grinding the same missions over and over, why not have a temporary cash penalty for repeating a mission that goes away after you have done x number of other missions? People will still be able to grind, but they will have to at least play a number of other missions to get the full amount of cash. Doing it their way doesn't stop grinding, it just makes people need to do it more and be less happy with the game as a result.

And the more I hear about GTAV Online the less appealing it sounds, which is odd considering I didn't think it would be very good from the beginning.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'd say that GTA:O is a work in progress, and balance issues will be prevalent. Some people aren't going to like the nerfs, and some people are going to complain or accuse R* of gating content in such a way that players are "forced" to buy cash packs.
Let me tell you something, no one is forcing you to pay for anything. Nor are you locked out of getting money, they're just trying to level the playing field a bit because it seems to be an exploit to avoid tougher missions at higher levels to get a cash payout. While their idea isn't necessarily a great one, its a start. I think the content should scale by level so veterans can replay levels at higher difficulty for more cash, that would make more sense.
Of course there are the cynics who will always use the go to "they're making us pay to play" argument... Again, its not forced on you.
Give them some time. I am personally giving R* credit for being new to the large scale persistant multiplayer field. There will be mistakes made.

ChickNaney

May 6, 2009
"The first time you play and beat the mission, you will get the full amount. Subsequent replays will see a payout amount reduced by half."
Yeah, no. If this is the way the system is supposed to work, it's not working. I was playing with 3 other friends in a mission that none of us played before and only one of us got the full payout. Plus, when playing with friends who have done a mission when I haven't, they're getting a full payiout, but not me, even though they've done it multiple times.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
RJ 17 said:
It's bullshit like this that made people start finding all the money-making glitches in the first place. It's already damn-near impossible to amass any kind of wealth in a manner that wouldn't take a month, but now they're slashing payouts for high-paying missions if you've already done them before? Yeah, that's a load of bullshit if you ask me. They're going to tinker and tweak this money system and just keep pissing everyone off with each new "NO MONEY FOR YOU!" policy they implement and I honestly won't be surprised if there is indeed a massive drop off of server population. I can understand taking out the "sell a car over and over" glitch or the "sell cars worth over 50K" glitch...but to make missions you've already done essentially pointless to play again is just fucking stupid.

Fucking pricks...
Here's what I've always wondered about with people like you.

What... are you BUYING with that money. Other than getting an apartment for yourself, you're buying guns and ammo, and... what? Clothes? Cars? So you're buying the frivolous shit, and you've grown accustomed to it being easy to come by? Either that or you're just lazy by default and were using the exploits right from the start.

I'm not playing this game to be the person with the most goddamn toys. You can play however you want, but Rockstart never said getting your fighter jet would be easy, just that it was possible. Tanks should be hard to get, otherwise everyone'd be rolling around with one and it'd be stupid. I've never not had fun with this game other than figuring out the best way not to get griefed in freemode. The only ones getting pissed are the ones who've never played an MMO in their lives, and don't understand how the power creep system works in them.

Personally I think Rockstar's done a pretty good job with online so far. I can still kill someone 10 levels higher than me in their car if they're stupid enough to bother me, and most online games don't keep things that fair.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Quiotu said:
RJ 17 said:

Fucking pricks...
Here's what I've always wondered about with people like you.

What... are you BUYING with that money. Other than getting an apartment for yourself, you're buying guns and ammo, and... what? Clothes? Cars? So you're buying the frivolous shit, and you've grown accustomed to it being easy to come by? Either that or you're just lazy by default and were using the exploits right from the start.

I'm not playing this game to be the person with the most goddamn toys. You can play however you want, but Rockstart never said getting your fighter jet would be easy, just that it was possible. Tanks should be hard to get, otherwise everyone'd be rolling around with one and it'd be stupid. I've never not had fun with this game other than figuring out the best way not to get griefed in freemode. The only ones getting pissed are the ones who've never played an MMO in their lives, and don't understand how the power creep system works in them.

Personally I think Rockstar's done a pretty good job with online so far. I can still kill someone 10 levels higher than me in their car if they're stupid enough to bother me, and most online games don't keep things that fair.
They've taken a system of making money - which was hard enough to begin with - and nerfed it to the point that, as the article said, it's actually going BACKWARDS. Indeed, what incentive is there for me to do an 18K mission which is watered down to 9K since I've played it before when it costs 10K in expenses just to actually accomplish it? I understand exactly why they don't want money to be given away like candy, but at the same time the things in the game aren't exactly cheap. As I mentioned in my previous response, it costs 12K just to get a silencer on your pistol. What am I buying with all my money? Guns and ammo and armor so I can have a chance at completing the surprisingly difficult missions which often warrant two or three tries to just accomplish.

When your bill for playing a mission is larger than the payout of that mission, the game is going in the wrong direction.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
RJ 17 said:
They've taken a system of making money - which was hard enough to begin with - and nerfed it to the point that, as the article said, it's actually going BACKWARDS. Indeed, what incentive is there for me to do an 18K mission which is watered down to 9K since I've played it before when it costs 10K in expenses just to actually accomplish it? I understand exactly why they don't want money to be given away like candy, but at the same time the things in the game aren't exactly cheap. As I mentioned in my previous response, it costs 12K just to get a silencer on your pistol. What am I buying with all my money? Guns and ammo and armor so I can have a chance at completing the surprisingly difficult missions which often warrant two or three tries to just accomplish.

When your bill for playing a mission is larger than the payout of that mission, the game is going in the wrong direction.
Well then you suck at it. Period. $10000 in expenses for a mission, WTF are you buying for it?! A few hundred dollars for bullets, not using your personal car... and there's this thing called COVER. Armor is limited and pretty worthless, and I don't use it unless the payout is worth it. Seriously, some missions are better than others, and I've heard that Lester's are particularly bad profit-wise. Still, choose your battles, don't die so much, and AIM a bit more... you don't need the AK to kill someone, the Sub-MG or the pistol work fine. The other guns are for emergencies, or for fun.

$10000?? Are you fighting werewolves and firing silver bullets? Holy shit.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Quiotu said:
RJ 17 said:

Well then you suck at it. Period. $10000 in expenses for a mission, WTF are you buying for it?! A few hundred dollars for bullets, not using your personal car... and there's this thing called COVER. Armor is limited and pretty worthless, and I don't use it unless the payout is worth it. Seriously, some missions are better than others, and I've heard that Lester's are particularly bad profit-wise. Still, choose your battles, don't die so much, and AIM a bit more... you don't need the AK to kill someone, the Sub-MG or the pistol work fine. The other guns are for emergencies, or for fun.

$10000?? Are you fighting werewolves and firing silver bullets? Holy shit.
As a matter of fact, those fucking lycanthropes ARE damn hard to take down, so you can stuff the attitude alright?

That's what we call an "example", friend. I'm not dropping 10K per mission, but it has happened before on particularly challenging missions. If you want my purely cynical view, I'd say they're making it so hard to gain money just so they can incentivize their microtransactions to simply buy yourself into wealth. The fact that that's even an option kinda negates any BS excuse they might have about "We want people to have to EARN their living in our game!"

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
RJ 17 said:
As a matter of fact, those fucking lycanthropes ARE damn hard to take down, so you can stuff the attitude alright?

That's what we call an "example", friend. I'm not dropping 10K per mission, but it has happened before on particularly challenging missions. If you want my purely cynical view, I'd say they're making it so hard to gain money just so they can incentivize their microtransactions to simply buy yourself into wealth. The fact that that's even an option kinda negates any BS excuse they might have about "We want people to have to EARN their living in our game!"
Might also be incentive for you to find some friends and play the mission with them, as opposed to doing it with less people. The first missions start with you only playing with up to 2 people, but most after that allow up to 4, and I'm sure later missions might allow more... especially when the heist missions start trickling in.

I mean if it's $10000 to succeed by your 'example', and by my example you're doing this by yourself, then having 3 other people to help you out means you're splitting the cost of finishing the mission. So that price tag goes from 10k to 2.5k, but everyone in the mission still gets the 12k payout.

I get it, it doesn't play the way you want it to. But there's a good majority of us out there that do like it a bit more structured like this. Maybe when Volition tries their hands on an online mode for Saints Row again, you'll get the instant... safe... easy gratification you want, because they seem pretty good about that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Quiotu said:
RJ 17 said:

Might also be incentive for you to find some friends and play the mission with them, as opposed to doing it with less people. The first missions start with you only playing with up to 2 people, but most after that allow up to 4, and I'm sure later missions might allow more... especially when the heist missions start trickling in.

I mean if it's $10000 to succeed by your 'example', and by my example you're doing this by yourself, then having 3 other people to help you out means you're splitting the cost of finishing the mission. So that price tag goes from 10k to 2.5k, but everyone in the mission still gets the 12k payout.

I get it, it doesn't play the way you want it to. But there's a good majority of us out there that do like it a bit more structured like this. Maybe when Volition tries their hands on an online mode for Saints Row again, you'll get the instant... safe... easy gratification you want, because they seem pretty good about that.
Well, with the grotesque amounts of assumptions you've been making throughout this entire conversation, I think I'm about ready to go ahead and wash my hands of it. You've been misreading - whether intentionally because it goes against your point or unintentionally because it goes against your experience - pretty much everything that I've said. You know nothing about me or how I play the game or what I want from the game, and yet you sit on your high horse unable to accept the fact that some people don't like games getting smacked with the nerf-bat to the point that progress slows down to a crawl.

I do like how you just completely dodged the point that the fact remains your argument has very little to stand on based on the mere existence of the "pay for money" microtransactions. Clearly Rockstar doesn't give a damn if people are getting instant gratification in their game, they just want to make sure that you have to pay extra in order to get it.

Have a pleasant day.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Here's a great idea for an update:

Add a bigger payout to robbing stores consecutively. Since you get a progressively higher wanted level for robbing one right after another, up the ante by giving us some more dosh as a result. Higher risk deserves higher reward.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If Rockstar wants people to start doing more missions they need to add more missions with a better variety to them. I won't even do Simeon's missions because of the hassle of having to escape the cops. Every time I call Lester and Ron their give mission option is locked which means I can only do Gerald's missions. While they are fun they get really boring and tedious after awhile.

I would not mind purchasing a cash card but Rockstar has it down for maintenance for some reason or another. They should have waited to halve the mission rewards until after they were finished with their cash card maintenance.

An even better idea would be to not have microtransactions and instead have just left the mission reward alone.