Rockstar Creates GTA Online $500k In-Game Stimulus Package

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Rockstar Creates GTA Online $500k In-Game Stimulus Package

Rockstar has struggled with the launch of GTA Online and hopes some in-game cash will smooth over any lingering frustration.

Character deletion, infinite loading, network errors, and getting stuck in areas are just a handful of the problems in Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto Online. Starting sometime next week Rockstar will deposit half a million in-game cash to each GTA Online player.

"For players who experienced cloud server errors, connection issues, and lost game progress and characters in these first days of GTA Online, we hope this GTA$ helps to facilitate a fresh start or makes your continued life in Los Santos and Blaine County extra sweet," Rockstar stated.

Anyone who has played GTA Online at any time in October qualifies for the deposit, which will come in two $250,000 deposits by Rockstar into players' GTA Online bank accounts. First players must install a GTA V title update, expected to be live next week. The update is supposed to fix issues of vehicle purchase loss, and it will enable Rockstar to provide the in-game cash to each player.

Rockstar stated it remains committed to release fixes to the game and asked all players to visit the Support site. Lost characters or rank will not be restored. "We sincerely hope that this cash stimulus we're giving out this month will help you get back on your feet," Rockstar stated in a comment. The company added that upcoming content such as heists are "indeed in the works."

Source: Rockstar [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51565/grand-theft-auto-online-half-a-million-gta-stimulus-package-this.html]

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Sweet, I had the saving error when i first played so it wasn't a huge issue for me. but getting 500k is a nice sorry present. :D

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
500k is a fuck-ton. Wow. I can live with this.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, that's a good way to do it, perhaps next time EA (or anyone else) have a horrendous product launch they will look at this and at least consider that handing out free stuff is a better way to placate upset players than by lieing to them. Doubly effective since writing 500k of funny money into a game account is essentially a free action to the publisher.

DVS BSTrD said:
Now the automakers are giving US a bail-out? WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?
Madness?
No.
THIS
IS
LOS SANTOS!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Means I can at last move out of the shitty ghetto 2 slot garage and get a decent apartment with a lot more storage space, woooo! The rest can go to the daily hospital bills from being killed in free roam.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Kalezian said:
Skrimmy said:
I can live with this. 500K is nothing to sneeze at.
considering people that had more than 500k in vehicles and apartments that had their character deleted, some people are pissed it isn't more.

to me, this blows the whole 'we had to patch you from having fun [i.e. the replay 'glitch'] to stabilize the in-game economy!' argument out of the water.

first, there is no economy, second if players save both rounds of 250k, they can immediately unlock the 400k apartment without working for it.

even people that did get it through the gameplay features actually had to... you know, DO missions for it.

I'll be happy if R* takes that 500k and just gives me a check for $11 which is what it would cost to buy it from cash packs.
Here's an idea... immediately after people get their money, invest it in the stock market under the real estate companies. You could probably turn over on your investment 10 times over with the amount of people that'll be buying property.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Sweet! I'm going to spend it all on a very nice apartment and an expensive car.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Desert Punk said:
First players must install a GTA V title update, expected to be live next week. The update is supposed to fix issues of vehicle purchase loss, and it will enable Rockstar to provide the in-game cash to each player.
So, what it really means is "heres some money, but this update that allows us to give you money, will also allow us to sell you money as micro transactions."

Edit: It is cool they are giving out some in game money to people for their inconvenience though.
In fairness, they already enabled microtransactions. They just pulled it due to errors.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
xDDDDD Ohhhh you gotta love the ol' "JUST THROW MONEY AT IT!" way of solving problems. Heh, not that I'm complaining. To be honest I've actually been pretty damn lucky with my character...the only issue I had was on day one in which it took me 3 hours to actually get in. Beyond that everything's been just peachy for me, which is nuts because quite literally EVERYONE on my friends list that plays the game has had at least one of their characters get gobbled up.

Half a million in cold hard fake cash...gotta say that is a pretty good way to try and smooth things over with players that have been disgruntled with the shenanigans going on. Especially considering how long it takes to amass a significant sum of money (though it's still easier than doing so in the story mode xP). Unless, of course, you were able to grind on a couple of those easy money missions before they got patched. Seriously, one of them paid out 25K a pop with at least 4K exp and took literally 20 seconds per go. I've got friends that are already lvl 210 with literally everything in the entire game bought and paid for. o.o

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Zeren said:
Sweet! I'm going to spend it all on a very nice apartment and an expensive car.
Pro-tip: all the high-end apartments have the EXACT same layout and garage size, literally the only difference is what part of the city your windows are facing.

I purchased an apartment for 251K that came with a 10 car garage and it looks exactly the same as my friend who purchased the 400K apartment which also has a 10 car garage. Just a heads up so you don't blow the majority of your cash on a house when you could save a bunch of it and still get essentially the same house. :3