Rockstar Gives Away Midnight Club 2 on Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rockstar Gives Away Midnight Club 2 on Steam

For the next few days, anyone joining the Rockstar Games Steam Community gets Midnight Club 2 free.

Midnight Club is one of Rockstar's lesser lights, forgotten by most amidst the sound and fury of Grand Theft Audio, Red Dead Redemption and all the other big [and even not-so-big] franchises that leap to mind when the such things come up in conversation. But as arcade racers go the games are actually quite good, and even though Midnight Club 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Club-2-Pc/dp/B00008JOLT/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336751537&sr=8-3] is pushing ten years old it's still a lot of fun.

And for the next few days it's also free, with a catch, of course: you'll have to join the Rockstar Steam Community [http://steamcommunity.com/games/rockstargames] to get it. Get your name on the roster by 10 am PST on May 15 and at some point over the next couple of weeks you'll find a non-giftable copy of Midnight Club 2 in your Steam account.

Midnight Club 2 was originally released all the way back in 2003 for the PlayStation 2, Xbox and PC, and was a pretty spectacular looking game in its day. It features a wide range of fictional cars and bikes based on real-life vehicles, racing through the streets of Los Angeles, Paris and Tokyo, plus multiplayer support for up to eight racers at once! It's not what you'd call a high-fidelity racing simulator, but as a high-speed, "light-it-up-and-drive" game, it was pretty fantastic.

Not a whole lot more to say, really. Do this, get that, be happy. You'll need a Steam account with at least one game registered to it already, and if that game, or any of them, happens to be Midnight Club 2, then you get nothing [http://steamcommunity.com/games/rockstargames/announcements/detail/1045078427175199696]. Hey, life's tough.

Thanks to NewClassic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/NewClassic] for the tip.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Ubisoft releases a trailer that urges people to join their Facebook group and they'll release another trailer for everyone to see regarding their new DRM-release.

Rockstar releases a whisper of an announcement that urges people to join their videogame-related Steam group and they'll give you a free game.

Yep. Even if Rockstar is quite console-focused, it's hard to dislike those guys.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I love both free stuff and arcade racing games!

What can possibly go wrong?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Scrythe said:
I love both free stuff and arcade racing games!

What can possibly go wrong?

Well you can use the compadibility option in 7 to rub it through Windows XP.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Scrustle said:
I did this the other day but I'm yet to receive anything.
Gimli says:

Get your name on the roster by 10 am PST on May 15 and at some point over the next couple of weeks you'll find a non-giftable copy of Midnight Club 2 in your Steam account.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Done and done. Who doesn't like free stuff? Plus I'd been meaning to get this back in the-
Scrythe said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Give it a quick Google search. There are methods to get it working (hell I found a Youtube video showing how to get MC2 working on Windows 7 on the very first page of a Google search), so I'm sure there's no reason to worry.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
Skywolf09 said:
Mcoffey said:
Done and done. Who doesn't like free stuff? Plus I'd been meaning to get this back in the-
Scrythe said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Give it a quick Google search. There are methods to get it working (hell I found a Youtube video showing how to get MC2 working on Windows 7 on the very first page of a Google search), so I'm sure there's no reason to worry.
It is good incentive these guys are doing, but then knowing this I feel a little bit... off? Don't get me wrong I do want to play the game genuinely, despite mods exist and all that its just... I dunno. Feels like something is amiss...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Is it just midnight club 2 or is it Midnight Club 2: Dub Edition?

I love the fuck out of Midnight Club 2: Dub Edition. Great racing game, great music too. The graphics at the time were a work of art (and for the most part, it still holds up.)

on another note, it's also the game I let my four year old nephew play. He use to really suck, now he's good enough he can at least complete the races all by himself. I'm rather proud.