Rockstar: GTA 5 Let's Plays Good, Spoilers Bad

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
fluxy100 said:
That may be but it doesn't detract from the fact that allowing people to show all the cutscenes and spoil the game would likely take away some of the GTAV sales. It's very easy for someone to see all the scenes and think "Well I've pretty much seen the whole game, no need for me to buy it now". And I think that's what Rockstar is trying to avoid with these rules, while still graciously allowing Let's Players to still show the game
Pretty much any demo of the game will cost some sales. By that logic they should DMCA every video that shows footage.
There's a difference, videos that shows cut scenes along with game play will show viewers what interactive elements they would be missing by not purchasing the game. Videos with just straight footage removes the interactive bits for better or worse so somebody might not know what they're missing by only watching the cutscenes. These also take part of what Rockstar has deemed worth paying for, and instead puts it up for free without much effort from the uploader.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Strazdas said:
but rockstar also took a step backwards, just not as big one. remember the days when gmae footage videos were actually legal? yeah....
I do, but do you? The provisions that allow that come from the WIPO treaties signed when you were 7 years old. Were you really running around at the age of six saying "yay! My fair use rights are intact?"

That's...that's kind of the problem. Nothing's actually changed. At best, people are using the DMCA system more, but that's not a step backward, because we've already taken that step backward. Similarly, Rockstar isn't taking a step backward because they're still ahead of the bar.

You can say you don't like it, you can say you don't want it, but that doesn't make it a step backward anymore than it makes me a penguin.
To behonest by the time of 7 i didnt knew the concept of fair use. That changes nothing though, the laws making it illegal is not something we should ever praise. and saying that "well we will ban more of your content but not as much as the other guy" isnt something to cheer for either. any company that did not ban the videos and started banning is taking step backwards, rockstar included.
Also i didnt knew you were a penguin. how is that internet connection at the south pole?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Strazdas said:
To behonest by the time of 7 i didnt knew the concept of fair use.
Whereas I was actually campaigning against it. Keep that in mind, friend.

Yeah, it's weird to think of a 16 year old in the nineties giving a crap about something, but hey, someone had to take the place of the hippies. They'd moved off to full-time stoned conspiracy theories.

That changes nothing though, the laws making it illegal is not something we should ever praise.
Pretty sure nobody's doing that. And actually, it does change something. It changes the base premise of your argument. Acting as though the laws suddenly changed, but they didn't. They've been this way since AOL still had sway. They've been this way since before YouTube. The only real difference is that companies no longer go after YouTube itself.

and saying that "well we will ban more of your content but not as much as the other guy" isnt something to cheer for either. any company that did not ban the videos and started banning is taking step backwards, rockstar included.
Well, I suppose you'd better go back and time and yell at them when they first took that step, because it's the status quo for Rockstar. And you know what? This is a step up from when they were banning ALL STREAMS of RDR. Those takedowns were happening even after launch.

Also i didnt knew you were a penguin. how is that internet connection at the south pole?
Polar Bears keep mistaking the fiber optic lines for seals. They're not too bright. It slows things down greatly.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Strazdas said:
To behonest by the time of 7 i didnt knew the concept of fair use.
Whereas I was actually campaigning against it. Keep that in mind, friend.

Yeah, it's weird to think of a 16 year old in the nineties giving a crap about something, but hey, someone had to take the place of the hippies. They'd moved off to full-time stoned conspiracy theories.

That changes nothing though, the laws making it illegal is not something we should ever praise.
Pretty sure nobody's doing that. And actually, it does change something. It changes the base premise of your argument. Acting as though the laws suddenly changed, but they didn't. They've been this way since AOL still had sway. They've been this way since before YouTube. The only real difference is that companies no longer go after YouTube itself.

and saying that "well we will ban more of your content but not as much as the other guy" isnt something to cheer for either. any company that did not ban the videos and started banning is taking step backwards, rockstar included.
Well, I suppose you'd better go back and time and yell at them when they first took that step, because it's the status quo for Rockstar. And you know what? This is a step up from when they were banning ALL STREAMS of RDR. Those takedowns were happening even after launch.

Polar Bears keep mistaking the fiber optic lines for seals. They're not too bright. It slows things down greatly.
TOuche. you are right in this one, i eat my words back.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
s_h_a_d_o said:
A pity Rockstar doesn't apply the same conditions to some of the online reviews. :/
Why? What reviewers are flashing spoilers without warning?
Or do you mean early reviews or something?

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Strazdas said:
Wait? what? escapists agree that we should let them dictate rules of what we can upldo to youtube now? what is this i dont even? they have absolutely no right to dictate what game footage i upload on youtube. then again, we already got DCMA which in itself shouldnt be legal to begin with. not to mention that they now can prettym uch flag and remove anything they want - the purest form of censorship possible.

And if you dont want to see spoilers, why are you watching a video walktrough? oh your not? then i guess you wont see thep soilers in one, why are you raging?
Yes they do, they give money to youtube, youtube owns the site called youtube that you are posting YOUR videos too. Do you own the site? How much do you pay to keep the servers running for everyone?

Nothing? You post your videos for free and share it with the entire country or even the world as if by some form of black magic? Ok maybe quit whining then. Your rights are not being violated when a librarian asks you to shut up, you are in the library, obey the rules decided by the library.

You are at youtube, obey the rules set by youtube or accept that they will remove the things you posted to their site. It's not complicated, it's quite simple. You are a guest in a person's shop. Yes it would be nice for you if they let you sneeze all over the produce but I am personally glad it's against the rules because I don't want my produce being spoiled just because of some weirdo I never knew and never want to know.

If I don't want to see spoilers blah blah blah, hey read the OP, let's plays are not included. Walkthroughs are also covered as an exception if you pay attention. The rules against spoilers apply to people randomly popping them up or doing nothing but cutscene videos and no, people that have a game or movie spoiled for them are not usually people looking for spoilers, it's people that had it spoiled by assholes that think it's funny to ruin things for others.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Carpenter said:
Strazdas said:
Wait? what? escapists agree that we should let them dictate rules of what we can upldo to youtube now? what is this i dont even? they have absolutely no right to dictate what game footage i upload on youtube. then again, we already got DCMA which in itself shouldnt be legal to begin with. not to mention that they now can prettym uch flag and remove anything they want - the purest form of censorship possible.

And if you dont want to see spoilers, why are you watching a video walktrough? oh your not? then i guess you wont see thep soilers in one, why are you raging?
Yes they do, they give money to youtube, youtube owns the site called youtube that you are posting YOUR videos too. Do you own the site? How much do you pay to keep the servers running for everyone?

Nothing? You post your videos for free and share it with the entire country or even the world as if by some form of black magic? Ok maybe quit whining then. Your rights are not being violated when a librarian asks you to shut up, you are in the library, obey the rules decided by the library.

You are at youtube, obey the rules set by youtube or accept that they will remove the things you posted to their site. It's not complicated, it's quite simple. You are a guest in a person's shop. Yes it would be nice for you if they let you sneeze all over the produce but I am personally glad it's against the rules because I don't want my produce being spoiled just because of some weirdo I never knew and never want to know.

If I don't want to see spoilers blah blah blah, hey read the OP, let's plays are not included. Walkthroughs are also covered as an exception if you pay attention. The rules against spoilers apply to people randomly popping them up or doing nothing but cutscene videos and no, people that have a game or movie spoiled for them are not usually people looking for spoilers, it's people that had it spoiled by assholes that think it's funny to ruin things for others.
Youtube is paid by advertisement. everyone who watches my videos pays youtube by form of seeing advertisement. So me uploading thigs people want to see as well as me seeing other peoples videos is actually paying for youtubes servers.
I understand youtube can set their own rules (and t be honest there are better sites than youtube now), however it is youtube that sets them and not rockstar. your shop comparison does not work. a more clsoer comparison would be if you come to the shop, where you can buy the item, but they wont let you see it before buying it, because the manufacturer said not to.
and heres a spoiler for you: the cake is a lie.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Ayay said:
Rockstar is really going downhill huh. They think that making these rules will stop anything ? I guess ´given their rabid fanboys and success so far have given them the same ego as some of their ingame characters.But Rockstar thinks they can get away with anything and sooner or later it will backfire.To bad when that happens but then i stopped caring about their games a long time ago.
How is this so hard to understand?

They don't expect nobody to try it, they expect that by being transparent with their actions and explaining why certain videos will be removed, they give their customers and fans enough respect that they don't feel compelled to do it just as a "screw you" to the empire.

But you keep fighting the fight you rebel you. People being shot to death by robot planes, no approval from congress or the people needed, but that's always going to happen, what we need to worry about is that evil Rockstar organization, trying to destroy our way of life by removing youtube videos.

They think they can get away with anything? What are they getting away with? What wrong have they done in this case?
If you had the capability to put your time and effort to create something (it's a stretch but try to play along) would you really want people just posting the ending without warning?
Would you want people just cutting together a quick version of your movie and posting it all online for free when you had to spend your hard earned money to make the movie?

Of course you would, anything else would be "evil" right?

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Strazdas said:
Carpenter said:
Strazdas said:

Youtube is paid by advertisement. everyone who watches my videos pays youtube by form of seeing advertisement. So me uploading thigs people want to see as well as me seeing other peoples videos is actually paying for youtubes servers.
I understand youtube can set their own rules (and t be honest there are better sites than youtube now), however it is youtube that sets them and not rockstar. your shop comparison does not work. a more clsoer comparison would be if you come to the shop, where you can buy the item, but they wont let you see it before buying it, because the manufacturer said not to.
and heres a spoiler for you: the cake is a lie.
That's not how it works. Simply seeing an ad does not give money to you or youtube, a person has to click the ad for youtube (or you) to receive anything from it.
Youtube isn't only paid for through ads but even so it's not you doing the work to maintain the site in the first place. No people seeing your videos and you watching other videos is not giving money to youtube, that is a myth I am sad to see is still spread as fact.
Yes it is YOUTUBE that sets up the rules, not rockstar. YOUTUBE has set it up so their corporate sponsors (you know, guys like Rockstar that give them actual money, they don't just watch a few videos and pretend they are giving them money) can remove videos that they feel is a violation of copyright law or just simply hurtful to their product in some way.

This isn't Rockstar trying to take over youtube you silly silly person, this is Rockstar explaining that they will not just take every video down (as most game companies tend to do now) but rather post specific guidlines for people that don't want to deal with all that nonsense, these guidlines are not rules but simply a list of things that they will remove videos for. They always had the ability to remove these videos (including let's players) but they are saying that they are not going to use that authority unless it crosses the line such as just posting spoilers or clips without context.

No my analogy was fine, yours makes no sense at all. If I am not allowed to see a product, I won't buy it. That was a stupid move on the part of the manufacturer. It's called voting with your wallet, if their actions offend you so much, don't give them your money. Just keep in mind that it's youtube that allows this to happen to begin with, not Rockstar. That manufacturer has no power over the shop, that shop gives it authority in your analogy, just like youtube gave authority to Rockstar. Rockstar didn't use that authority in some obscure silly way like saying your not allowed to see their product first, they in fact do less regulating then a lot of game companies.

I mean really with that last line you are just being dishonest, trying to imply that they are trying to make it so you can't see the game before buying it. I have seen plenty of footage online that hasn't been taken down.

Can you give me one legitimate reason to be angry over this? You seem to constantly make things up to support your view of things. You even went as far as to convince yourself that you somehow fund youtube. You have to understand how childish and silly that looked from my end.

EDIT: Did you seriously just make a portal "cake" reference? Did you play that game? If you did you might understand how dumb that meme was right from the start, on top of that you might also understand that "the cake is a lie" isn't a spoiler but a reference to the strange writings found on the inside walls of the game.

Another thing wrong with that is the fact that even if it was a spoiler it would be well past the grace period and nobody would really care, doesn't really compare to a game like GTA 5 that was only just released and most have not seen the ending yet.

Ayay

Dec 6, 2009
Carpenter said:
Ayay said:
Rockstar is really going downhill huh. They think that making these rules will stop anything ? I guess ´given their rabid fanboys and success so far have given them the same ego as some of their ingame characters.But Rockstar thinks they can get away with anything and sooner or later it will backfire.To bad when that happens but then i stopped caring about their games a long time ago.

They don't expect nobody to try it, they expect that by being transparent with their actions and explaining why certain videos will be removed, they give their customers and fans enough respect that they don't feel compelled to do it just as a "screw you" to the empire.

But you keep fighting the fight you rebel you. People being shot to death by robot planes, no approval from congress or the people needed, but that's always going to happen, what we need to worry about is that evil Rockstar organization, trying to destroy our way of life by removing youtube videos.

They think they can get away with anything? What are they getting away with? What wrong have they done in this case?
If you had the capability to put your time and effort to create something (it's a stretch but try to play along) would you really want people just posting the ending without warning?
Would you want people just cutting together a quick version of your movie and posting it all online for free when you had to spend your hard earned money to make the movie?

What in the world have real people being killed by drones anything to do with my post ? I get your upset that i feel rockstar are idiots for going out and trying to tell people what they cant do (because on the internet that works really well right ?)And for that to be a transparent attempt of them to explain their stance as you so elegantly put it is bs , they care about money and only money and i belive this move is just dickish. And you get to disagree. But please hold off on judging me on drone strikes ,, my freaking country dont even have those

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Carpenter said:
That's not how it works. Simply seeing an ad does not give money to you or youtube, a person has to click the ad for youtube (or you) to receive anything from it.
Youtube isn't only paid for through ads but even so it's not you doing the work to maintain the site in the first place. No people seeing your videos and you watching other videos is not giving money to youtube, that is a myth I am sad to see is still spread as fact.
Yes it is YOUTUBE that sets up the rules, not rockstar. YOUTUBE has set it up so their corporate sponsors (you know, guys like Rockstar that give them actual money, they don't just watch a few videos and pretend they are giving them money) can remove videos that they feel is a violation of copyright law or just simply hurtful to their product in some way.

This isn't Rockstar trying to take over youtube you silly silly person, this is Rockstar explaining that they will not just take every video down (as most game companies tend to do now) but rather post specific guidlines for people that don't want to deal with all that nonsense, these guidlines are not rules but simply a list of things that they will remove videos for. They always had the ability to remove these videos (including let's players) but they are saying that they are not going to use that authority unless it crosses the line such as just posting spoilers or clips without context.

No my analogy was fine, yours makes no sense at all. If I am not allowed to see a product, I won't buy it. That was a stupid move on the part of the manufacturer. It's called voting with your wallet, if their actions offend you so much, don't give them your money. Just keep in mind that it's youtube that allows this to happen to begin with, not Rockstar. That manufacturer has no power over the shop, that shop gives it authority in your analogy, just like youtube gave authority to Rockstar. Rockstar didn't use that authority in some obscure silly way like saying your not allowed to see their product first, they in fact do less regulating then a lot of game companies.

I mean really with that last line you are just being dishonest, trying to imply that they are trying to make it so you can't see the game before buying it. I have seen plenty of footage online that hasn't been taken down.

Can you give me one legitimate reason to be angry over this? You seem to constantly make things up to support your view of things. You even went as far as to convince yourself that you somehow fund youtube. You have to understand how childish and silly that looked from my end.

EDIT: Did you seriously just make a portal "cake" reference? Did you play that game? If you did you might understand how dumb that meme was right from the start, on top of that you might also understand that "the cake is a lie" isn't a spoiler but a reference to the strange writings found on the inside walls of the game.

Another thing wrong with that is the fact that even if it was a spoiler it would be well past the grace period and nobody would really care, doesn't really compare to a game like GTA 5 that was only just released and most have not seen the ending yet.
Yes, it does. For example google ads on your website work in a simple manner of 0,01 per view 0,03 per click (rates do change from time to time and there are other factors). Youtube is owned by google amd they probably handle thier ads since google is basically a massive advertisement company anyway.
clicks do ear youtube more money, but views do too. your TV gets paid for TV ad even if you dont go to the store after seeing it.

I am not aware of rockstar sponsoring youtube, but i cant dispute this fact (though for what reason? so they coudl remove videos?)

Well, if im not allowed to see a product i wont buy it either, Rockstar however does not want me to see thier product. so....
Manufacturer has as much right to the ship as rockstar to youtube. accoriding to you it seems the manufacturer is paying the shop for this right.

And yes, i specifically chose this "not-actual-spoiler" that is far beyond spoiler range and yet everyone knows about it. if i were to put a real spoiler i would put it into spoiler tags, so someone couldnt just stumble upon it. everyone that would be able to get this reference already knows it though so this wasnt a harmful one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Carpenter said:
s_h_a_d_o said:
A pity Rockstar doesn't apply the same conditions to some of the online reviews. :/
Why? What reviewers are flashing spoilers without warning?
Or do you mean early reviews or something?
No - I just take issue with those that apparently find it too much hard work to provide critical analysis without delving into details of the narrative exposition that I would prefer to discover on my own. It strikes me as somewhat lazy and unprofessional, regardless of whether or not such commentary is flagged with warnings as 'spoilery'.
Mind you, the same can be said for many of the marketing teams that promote said games... Bioshock Infinite for example.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Ayay said:
Carpenter said:
Ayay said:

What in the world have real people being killed by drones anything to do with my post ? I get your upset that i feel rockstar are idiots for going out and trying to tell people what they cant do (because on the internet that works really well right ?)And for that to be a transparent attempt of them to explain their stance as you so elegantly put it is bs , they care about money and only money and i belive this move is just dickish. And you get to disagree. But please hold off on judging me on drone strikes ,, my freaking country dont even have those
It has nothing to do with your comment, I brought it up because you are acting like this is a horrible injustice that we are wrong for not raging over, as if this actually matters, when there is real sick stuff going on in the world. Don't like me bringing it up? Then maybe don't take video games or youtube so seriously.

Buddy, I'm not "upset" I am trying to explain to you that your complaints make no sense, I am trying to understand why you feel this is worth so much anger, why you feel there should be an outrage over this directed at Rockstar but not youtube.

You didn't even read my comment, they didn't post this to tell people not to do it, they were going to remove the offending videos either way, they posted it (as I already stated) so people know what things will not be taken down for those that (as I said before) don't have time to deal with videos being taken down over and over again without proper explanation.

Kid, if they were about money and only money, they wouldn't be spending a lot of time and money on the GTA series, they would be releasing several games a year like other companies do to maximize their profit.

How is this making them money? How does them posting their guidelines make them a single penny?

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Strazdas said:
Carpenter said:

Yes, it does. For example google ads on your website work in a simple manner of 0,01 per view 0,03 per click (rates do change from time to time and there are other factors). Youtube is owned by google amd they probably handle thier ads since google is basically a massive advertisement company anyway.
clicks do ear youtube more money, but views do too. your TV gets paid for TV ad even if you dont go to the store after seeing it.

I am not aware of rockstar sponsoring youtube, but i cant dispute this fact (though for what reason? so they coudl remove videos?)

Well, if im not allowed to see a product i wont buy it either, Rockstar however does not want me to see thier product. so....
Manufacturer has as much right to the ship as rockstar to youtube. accoriding to you it seems the manufacturer is paying the shop for this right.

And yes, i specifically chose this "not-actual-spoiler" that is far beyond spoiler range and yet everyone knows about it. if i were to put a real spoiler i would put it into spoiler tags, so someone couldnt just stumble upon it. everyone that would be able to get this reference already knows it though so this wasnt a harmful one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation
No buddy, if you were a youtube partner or at least researched this you would know that they are not given money for people viewing their ads, that would be insane and way too easy to exploit.

TV ads do not work the same way as youtube ads, the fact that I have to say that really makes me wonder why you are even trying to argue about this.

What the hell are you talking about? When did I say Rockstar sponsored youtube? I said rockstar gives them money, you see all those GTA 5 ads on youtube? Did you know that rockstar pays youtube to put those ads up?
Youtube has a close relationship with game, movie, and record companies. If you don't know that already, you need to educate yourself before trying to argue. You people keep acting like Rockstar crossed the line, this has been going on for years and years but suddenly it's wrong when one corporation decides they will not remove specific videos. Somehow deciding not to take down all the videos they find makes them the worst of the worst. Can you explain that or would you rather tell me about how youtube gets money for every person that comments?

What are you even rambling about now? Rockstar doesn't want you to see their product? Then why give people review copies? Why would they release this statement telling people that they are allowed to post videos of it online?
You either don't understand the issue or your just grasping at straws. These guys have gone out of their way to make sure that people do see the product.

Go on youtube, search for GTA 5 gameplay and tell me they have taken it all down. Did you even read the original post?

"Manufacturer has as much right to the ship as rockstar to youtube. accoriding to you it seems the manufacturer is paying the shop for this right."

No, the shop decided that the manufacturer is allowed to do this, just like youtube decided long ago (when you were apparently asleep) that companies are allowed to remove music videos they feel they own or movie reviews they don't like or game footage.

It's been that way for a long time but you are only now complaining because one specific company had decided that they won't remove every single video of their game that they find online.

Hey buddy, it's not a fallacy to point out the fact that there are much more serious things to worry about in the world when you are here acting like a game company is silencing the people or something.
I was simply pointing out the fact that you are just latching onto a made up "evil" to avoid the real evils of the world. Why? Because thinking about those real things may make you realize how self absorbed you are with your strange sense of entitlement.

Youtube owns their site, if they decide that companies can remove videos, that's the way it is. Don't like it? Ask them to change it. It's not morally wrong for a person to have rules on a website that they own.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Don't like this. I think they're being waaaaay too money-grubbing.

1) Afraid of lost profits if someone watches an unboxing video? Wow.

2) Afraid of lost profits if someone sees the ending? Because Sandbox games are all about the story...

3) Afraid of lost profits if you show the IN GAME TV? WOW.

Yuck. Rockstar, I personally think you'll LOSE money for being so stingy. Less youtubers will show off your game, less people will buy it. More will probably pirate it because it has less exposure. (although that's a bit silly, since GTA5 is all over the place, but still, it won't always be the 'hip' current game).