Rockstar: Only "Terrible Parents" Buy Our Games for Their Kids

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I couldn't agree more with Rockstar on this one, their games still suck but they are right on the bad parents and pushing the boundries.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Well that would be a good statement...if maturity came at certain ages.

That message rings true for parents who only worry if the game is going to keep their kids entertained, but what about those who believe or know that their kids are mature enough to play such games? It's perfectly possible for a 14 or 15 year old to have matured enough to handle the content in such games.

Apr 28, 2008
The truth has never been so clear.

Don't want your kids playing GTA?

DON'T BUY THE FUCKING GAME!

Apr 28, 2008
Kiefer13 said:
Fuck you, Lazlow. My parents are awesome.

Now buying Grand Theft Auto or similar games for your child and then just leaving them to their own devices, yes that is terrible parenting. But that's not what my parents did. They never regarded the age ratings on games or films as anything more than guidelines, but they always made sure that I knew the difference between reality and fiction was. They always taught me that while violent films and videogames were fine entertainment, the things depicted in them were horrible in the real world. And you know, even though I was a kid, I could understand that. And I'm incredibly grateful that my parents decided to teach me about the difference between violent media and real life at a younger age, instead of just hiding it all from me until I reached some arbitrary age that had been printed on the box.
He's saying parents who just buy their kids games to shut them up without knowing what in the game are bad parents.

If your parents are responsible about it, then they're fine.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
katsabas said:
Nothing to say except too true.
Very true. Parents need to look at games and ratings before they actually buy them for there kids blindly...

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Its true, Im glad rockstar are saying this, Because parents playing dumb and saying "Oh, well its a videogame, So its obviously mario" and then blaming everyone but themselves when their little make[/I] GTA.

Got children? Avoid GTA!

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
While it is true there are some exceptions.
The only reason I was able to play M rated games was because my mom knew I was smart enough to tell the difference from a game and reality.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
That sounds like a sound conclusion. Heck, I was surprised when my girlfriend's parents got me GTA4 when I graduated from college. Sure, I was 22 and really enjoyed the game, but it was still an odd sort of thing to get from the 'sinlaws'.

My girlfriend, who works for Gamestop keeps finding parents who are trying to ween their children off the M rated titles they bought for their children. I guess none of them had heard of "Ratchet & Clank" or the Wii.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
It's about time a developer came out and said this. I mean honestly, If you buy your 10 year old a M-Rated game, you have NO right to complain about content.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Good for Lazlow. There are too many parents who think playing GTAIV, MW2 etc. is a cheap baby sitter. That makes them shitty parents. Particularly if you let them on XBL etc.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Kenjitsuka said:
It's true... you're either informed and a very *cool* parent, or just a lazy miscreant who doesn't know what the term "grand theft auto" means in real life and you don't give a shit about your kid so you don't read the back of the game box... or notice the big *18* logo's on it... or watch the kid play it once... but do complain to Fox Newzzz how evil that game is!

P.S. If you're on this site you obviously fit in category 1 :p
So wait, my mom is a bad parent because she lets me play said games, even though she explained to me that said things are wrong, and such?
Apparently she is.

As is my mother.

Fuck those serial killers who became psychologically scarred by years of abuse, I'm a failure at life because my mother let me play violent video games!

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Seeing how in my state, California, the law still bans the sale of M rated games to minors yet we still have stories of eight year olds copying GTA here (he stole his teacher's car, drove it home, funny shit) I can't agree more, the parents are to blame, not Rockstar. It's nothing new that GTA games are violent and for adults yet so many parents buy it for their five year old then complain that the little one wants to kick some other kid's ass since he's not respecting him. Then again, for being raised by hyper conservatives, my parents never cared about my playing GTA so long as they weren't around to watch it.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
He's right. If it's labeled with a big red 18 or with the M for Mature this game is not made for anyone under the age of 18 or 17. And don't give that "but my son is acting soooo mature"-bullshit and run to your lawyer to sue the developer because he is having nightmares after playing god of war 3 or Manhunt.

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
Because none of us EVER played the earlier Grand Theft Autos when we were kids. Most of the people I know played GTA when they were younger, and none of them are crazy murderers. All of you saying, "Such a wise sentiment!".. You NEVER played M games when you were around the 13-15 age? If you didn't, cool, but I'm guessing the majority of us did play M games when we were in the Early Teen stage.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Ah, the obvious truth.

Sadly, everyone already knew that. And we've been telling that to everyone already.

The problem; it is an inconvenient truth to the people who want a scapegoat.

There are a lot of problems in society. What controls society is the people therein and the families thereof. Unfortuneatly, they don't want to take responsibility for that when they realise they've driven it to shit. Ergo, the need for scapegoats, objects, industries, to blame.

They already know it is their fault, that's why they started blaming something else.