Rockstar Preparing "Rockstar Pass" for L.A. Noire

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rockstar Preparing "Rockstar Pass" for L.A. Noire

Take-Two's first foray into participating in used sales could come packed with L.A. Noire.

Fairly recently, publishers such as EA and THQ have implemented a method of earning funds from the massive used games market generally referred to as "Project $10" or "Online Pass." The initiative inserts single-use codes into new games that allow customers to play online or access other features. These codes are made available at $10 for those that buy the game used. Take-Two said it L.A. Noire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103699-Grand-Theft-Auto-Parent-Company-to-Participate-in-Used-Market].

The latest Xbox Live Newsbeat press email mentions the L.A. Noire "Rockstar Pass" that will launch on May 17 alongside the game. It'll cost 800 Microsoft Points, i.e. the Project $10 price point.

Rockstar hasn't spoken up on what the Rockstar Pass is yet, only saying that it'll "take your L.A. Noire experience to the next level. More details are reportedly coming soon.

My best guess is that the Rockstar Pass will at least enable access to the host of bonus content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108037-Rockstar-Splits-L-A-Noire-Pre-Order-Bonuses-Six-Ways] Rockstar split six ways for the game's launch depending on where L.A. Noire was pre-ordered. This includes exclusive missions and outfits. Rockstar has said that the content would be available for purchase, yet using the Rockstar Pass for it would seem to negate the whole exclusive pre-order bonus thing.

Otherwise, the Rockstar Pass would probably give access to the early rounds of L.A. Noire DLC content, almost certainly already in development. Take-Two might be testing the Project $10/Online Pass waters with L.A. Noire to see how it could work out with another big title rumored to potentially be announced sometime this year called Grand Theft Auto V [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108314-Rumor-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Codenamed-Rush].

While we wait until May 17 to find out what this Rockstar Pass business is all about, why not watch L.A. Noire's launch trailer here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109952-LA-Noire-Launch-Trailer-Makes-You-and-Breaks-You]?

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/la-noire-rockstar-pass-add-on-spotlighted-in-xbox-marketplace/]

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt this be kinda pointless since it duesnt do multiplayer?

I dont see how the online pass could be worked for the whole preorder dlc and future stuff I mean what they going to make it so even if you buy dlc you can play it without because thats gona piss somone off or somthing.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
"Rockstar hasn't spoken up on what the Rockstar Pass is yet, only saying that it'll "take your L.A. Noire experience to the next level. More details are reportedly coming soon."

Read: Stuff that would normally be in the game. "Take your ... experience to the next level" is basically marketing speak (newspeak for some) for "don't get mad, we're promising neato stuff that we'll fail to deliver. Heres a multiplayer map!" How exactly is multiplayer and stats "next level"? If actual DLC episodic content was included that would be different but they'll likely just take a note from everyone else and offer chopped off features to used game buyers for 10 dollars. Yay?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Veldie said:
Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt this be kinda pointless since it duesnt do multiplayer?

I dont see how the online pass could be worked for the whole preorder dlc and future stuff I mean what they going to make it so even if you buy dlc you can play it without because thats gona piss somone off or somthing.
Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age both had an online pass but were single player games. Basically, the online pass gave you free access to downloadable content you otherwise had to pay for (weapons, outfits, characters, mission packs, etc.).

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
You mean they're going to make us pay for stuff already on the disk. Great. You'd think Rockstar would at least have enough respect for its fans to not dress it up with this preorder facade.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I really don't see why people see "Project $10" as so wrong. I mean, I think it's an effective way of getting people to buy a game new without resorting to extreme content-cutting measures. Mass Effect 2 was still eminently playable without the bonus content.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
internetzealot1 said:
You mean they're going to make us pay for stuff already on the disk. Great. You'd think Rockstar would at least have enough respect for its fans to not dress it up with this preorder facade.
Only if you buy it used. Which I'm pretty sure leads to a whole big debate that goes around in circles.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
rsvp42 said:
internetzealot1 said:
Only if you buy it used. Which I'm pretty sure leads to a whole big debate that goes around in circles.
They haven't said what it for yet. The speculation in this article is that it'll unlock the "preorder" bonuses, of which there are, like, six.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Wish they would make the companies who do game trade ins pay more or something, not taking out on the consumer.

Apr 28, 2008
If EA is any indication, this pass stuff didn't doesn't do jack shit to help curb used sales. Since they seem to have scrapped it.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
StriderShinryu said:
Veldie said:

Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age both had an online pass but were single player games. Basically, the online pass gave you free access to downloadable content you otherwise had to pay for (weapons, outfits, characters, mission packs, etc.).
Guess im a idiot because I own ME2 and both Dragon ages >_>

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
internetzealot1 said:
rsvp42 said:
internetzealot1 said:
They haven't said what it for yet. The speculation in this article is that it'll unlock the "preorder" bonuses, of which there are, like, six.
I guess I hadn't considered that... yeah, unless the store-specific bonuses need to be downloaded, that's pretty lame.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Veldie said:
StriderShinryu said:
Veldie said:

lol Well, for the most part they've integrated it fairly well with those titles. In ME2 it's the Cerberus Network, which had several weapons, a couple of mission packs, Zaeed and his mission, and maybe a costume pack. If you have the Cerberus Network (free if you bought the game new), you got all that stuff for free. If you didn't have the CNet, you had to buy it separately. In DA:O it was basically Shale and her attached queste. Buy the game new, get the character and quests. Buy the game used and you had to buy them separately.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
To me, it sounds more like Take Two taking potshots at the used game market rather than 'participating' in it, but whatever.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Calico93 said:
Wish they would make the companies who do game trade ins pay more or something, not taking out on the consumer.
And if they did that, the consumer would still pay for it.

Likely, it would be like this "Well, we have to give back $5 to Rockstar for every used sale we make, so the price is going up from $45 to $50"

OT: Don't mind the whole "online pass" thing at all. I buy my games new anyways, and get older titles used.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I'm waiting for the day that they force you to register your console game online with a serial code like pc games instead of tip toeing around it with this online pass crap. So many people will rage, especially the used market.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
StriderShinryu said:
Veldie said:
StriderShinryu said:
Veldie said:

lol Well, for the most part they've integrated it fairly well with those titles. In ME2 it's the Cerberus Network, which had several weapons, a couple of mission packs, Zaeed and his mission, and maybe a costume pack. If you have the Cerberus Network (free if you bought the game new), you got all that stuff for free. If you didn't have the CNet, you had to buy it separately. In DA:O it was basically Shale and her attached queste. Buy the game new, get the character and quests. Buy the game used and you had to buy them separately.
yea I know about them i just forgot about them whats funny tho is I got ME2 Used for 12 dollers from Gamefly and the box had the cerberus network code in it unused lol