Rockstar Preparing "Rockstar Pass" for L.A. Noire

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I've wanted this game ever since I heard it's bloody name, but why does Rockstar have to get into this crap as well? If it really is "bonus content" then chances are if you already have a full and expansive game, hardly anyone will pay extra for the "bonus content".

Sigh.

HankMan said:
What IS the Rockstar Pass? For now... it's a mystery.
From the way this game is being hyped, the only way it could "take You're L.A. Noire experience to the next level" is if it turned the player character into Batman.
That would be pretty sick.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Veldie said:
Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt this be kinda pointless since it duesnt do multiplayer?

I dont see how the online pass could be worked for the whole preorder dlc and future stuff I mean what they going to make it so even if you buy dlc you can play it without because thats gona piss somone off or somthing.

Well, I'd imagine it's a situation where the pre-order DLC is only being given to the companies temporarly and they plan to release all of it to everyone at some point down the road, like how the various "Red Dead Redemption" pre-order benefits got put out on the market for like a dollar apiece not too long ago if I remember. The Pass might net you them for free, when the exclusivity contract expires.

It's also possible that it could be something like the Saboteur, like where you needed the pass to see the dancers show their boobies and so on, basically uncensoring some of the more "Adult" content from the game.

Really, we won't know until it comes out, but there have been plenty of things like this done besides multiplayer modes.

Speaking for myself, L.A. Noire doesn't impress me that much. I might try it some day when it drops in price, but right now there are just too many games I'm more interested in. I guess it's just that being an Arson Investigator in the 1940s doesn't capture my imagination as much as it does for some other people. On the other hand it does show some potential, if someone ever wanted to make a game like this set in the 1920s based on the "Call Of Cthulhu" RPGs, with the cases being paranormal investigations or whatever, I might be interested. Bethesda's "Dark Corners Of The Earth" was a long time ago. Of course Rock Star doesn't generally do much fantasy stuff, the undead nightmare thing for Red Dead: Redemption being fairly unusual from what I've seen of their work.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
internetzealot1 said:
rsvp42 said:
internetzealot1 said:
You mean they're going to make us pay for stuff already on the disk. Great. You'd think Rockstar would at least have enough respect for its fans to not dress it up with this preorder facade.
Only if you buy it used. Which I'm pretty sure leads to a whole big debate that goes around in circles.
They haven't said what it for yet. The speculation in this article is that it'll unlock the "preorder" bonuses, of which there are, like, six.
That would be pretty cool if it did unlock the pre-order bonuses. Wasn't one of the bonuses a T-shirt?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Kalezian said:
HankMan said:
What IS the Rockstar Pass? For now... it's a mystery.
From the way this game is being hyped, the only way it could "take You're L.A. Noire experience to the next level" is if it turned the player character into Batman.

A mystery you might think, but in reality I think it will end up killing this game, as it will try to rob players of their money.

But seriously, Here we go again with people complaining how DLC should work and such, and of course the ever lasting hatred of Project $10-ish game passes.

Veldie said:
StriderShinryu said:
Veldie said:
StriderShinryu said:
Veldie said:
Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt this be kinda pointless since it duesnt do multiplayer?

I dont see how the online pass could be worked for the whole preorder dlc and future stuff I mean what they going to make it so even if you buy dlc you can play it without because thats gona piss somone off or somthing.
Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age both had an online pass but were single player games. Basically, the online pass gave you free access to downloadable content you otherwise had to pay for (weapons, outfits, characters, mission packs, etc.).
Guess im a idiot because I own ME2 and both Dragon ages >_>
lol Well, for the most part they've integrated it fairly well with those titles. In ME2 it's the Cerberus Network, which had several weapons, a couple of mission packs, Zaeed and his mission, and maybe a costume pack. If you have the Cerberus Network (free if you bought the game new), you got all that stuff for free. If you didn't have the CNet, you had to buy it separately. In DA:O it was basically Shale and her attached queste. Buy the game new, get the character and quests. Buy the game used and you had to buy them separately.
yea I know about them i just forgot about them whats funny tho is I got ME2 Used for 12 dollers from Gamefly and the box had the cerberus network code in it unused lol

Lucky, I got a brand-new version of Bad Company 2 at a huge reduction of price [about $10-$12 here] with an unused battle code.

That had expired back in April.

Thankfully I had forgone the battlecode the first time and went ahead and bought the VIP crap, thus allowing me to always re-download it.

I dont always find ways around ensuring developers get money, but when I do, its hilarious to me.
it wasnt that I didnt want them to get money I just felt ME2 just felt underwelmed for me so i figured id just get it used and i already had the copy at my home from renting it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I rue the online pass. RUEEEEEE!!!!
Its the biggest flaw of the new MK. It is the biggest flaw of every game that has it also.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I remember back in the olden days when a game was a complete unit that you either bought or didn't. I guess this will be yet another game I buy out of bargain bin 2 years from now when the "game of the year" edition is released that is actually complete.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
So does this mean that because I do not have my console connected to the internet, I'll have to pay a full price for half of the game?

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I don't get it. If it's for DLC. Surely we should be charged less should we not want the day 1 DLC anyways?

Wasn't even gonna pay full price for a rockstar game again after RDR and GTA IV. I stand by that.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Why did half the people on the thread go to, "OH GREAT, THE COMPANY IS HOLDING BACK MORE SHIT FROM US TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK"?

L.A. Noire was made for the PS3, and it took up the entire 25GB PS3 disk

It's on three separate disks for the 360 version. (Because it's ported. The PS3 version has a free exclusive mission on the disk as well.)

Team Bondi mentioned that some content was cut from the game so that they could fit the entire thing on one disk. The 'Rockstar Pass' might be the cut content. Still kind of sucky that they'd make you pay for something they planned to be in the game anyway, if that was indeed what the RP is.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Veldie said:

Of course it isnt pointless, project 10$ isnt about charging for multiplayer, its about penalising the people that buy the game used and dont give money to the guys that made the game.

I have no problem with this, I want this type of games to exist so I will support them by buying a new copy.

Its the same price, I get the content and they get the money, everyone is happy.

rembrandtqeinstein said:
I remember back in the olden days when a game was a complete unit that you either bought or didn't. I guess this will be yet another game I buy out of bargain bin 2 years from now when the "game of the year" edition is released that is actually complete.
If you actually buy the game new instead of keeping those 10$ to yourself you get all this content. I dont get why people whine about this kind of deals, games are the same price, the pass is free if you buy the game new. If you buy the game used you will then pay the 10$ you saved for the rest of the game, it makes sense. They are making sure that they see some money, I prefer giving my money to developers than retail stores.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Calico93 said:
Wish they would make the companies who do game trade ins pay more or something, not taking out on the consumer.
Uh, the consumers are the ones who buy pre-owned games...

Project $10 and Online Pass are good systems in my book. Does not bother me in the slightest.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
this whole thing reminds me...I pre-ordered the game through Gamestop online and until now it didn't occur to me that Im unsure of where the code for the preorder bonuses normally is...can someone who knows for sure let me know?

Rhythm

Sep 17, 2008
Perhaps my brain isn't working this morning, but I am a little confused as to what's happening with LA Noire. I was tempted to buy it brand new but as funds are short this month I decided to wait and maybe pick it up second hand. However after reading this story am I to believe that I 'have' to purchase it new to be able to get everything with the game? It's quotes like....

"Take-Two's first foray into participating in used sales could come packed with L.A. Noire."

"Take-Two said it had plans to do something similar, which may begin with Rockstar Games' L.A. Noire"

So I need to pick it up new to get the code to enable to potentially grab all the DLC right? If it is all the stuff that's included in the 6 way pre-order split, then what's the point of pre-ording it if you just get a code on launch that gives you all the pre-order stuff?? o.0

I'm confused :/

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Calico93 said:
Wish they would make the companies who do game trade ins pay more or something, not taking out on the consumer.
How exactly? Stop stores from selling your game? The retailers are all in the one big club and the last thing they want is suppliers deciding they can force a better price. If they tried to push for a better price I'd say the retailers just wouldn't stock it and I don't think Digital Distribution or ordering online is so big that it will make up for those lost sales.

AgDr_ODST said:
this whole thing reminds me...I pre-ordered the game through Gamestop online and until now it didn't occur to me that Im unsure of where the code for the preorder bonuses normally is...can someone who knows for sure let me know?
If you didn't recieve any kind of email about it (for digital copies) then chances are that it will be in the gamebox. It'll be a slip of paper, about the same as those shitty ads they put in for alienware or other games. When it comes to preorder slips they'll probably have those in a bundle behind the counter and if the guy doesn't put it in when he is at the register double check the box just to be sure.

Elegy of Fools

May 8, 2011
AgDr_ODST said:
If you pick up at store, it prints on the receipt or is bundled in the box (they made special bundles for Red Dead Redemption, so I'm leaning towards that being the case)

If you are having it shipped, it'll be in an email if it's a separate code, or bundled with if it's not.

As for the whole project $10 nonsense the only people it really hurts is the consumer; speaking first hand it still hasn't damaged the used market as prices get swung to compensate, and free codes with used purchases started being offered with Mortal Kombat, at least via GameStop. Unfortunately these codes make the return policy for the new games as strict as PC games.

I wish companies would take an approach like Activision and offer Real DLC to support their title and rake in money regardless of New/Used purchase condition; but clearly they know nothing about how to make money and keep people happy.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
does La Noire have multiplayer? i didn't think so but i've been avoiding all the media on this game because I know i'm going to buy it haha

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Good thinking RockStar announcing this in the midst of the PSN outage. Shh if you listen closely you can hear the sound of 1000s of PS3 owners cancelling their preorders.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Oh, shit, they'll be offering additional content to the people who decide to support the developer, I guess I won't buy it then. After all, that content is probably essential to the 25 HOUR LONG GAME!

Never understood what the big problem with Project Ten Dollar was. The only real issue is that it's screwing over the people who don't have online.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
MajorDolphin said:
"Rockstar hasn't spoken up on what the Rockstar Pass is yet, only saying that it'll "take your L.A. Noire experience to the next level. More details are reportedly coming soon."

Read: Stuff that would normally be in the game. "Take your ... experience to the next level" is basically marketing speak (newspeak for some) for "don't get mad, we're promising neato stuff that we'll fail to deliver. Heres a multiplayer map!" How exactly is multiplayer and stats "next level"? If actual DLC episodic content was included that would be different but they'll likely just take a note from everyone else and offer chopped off features to used game buyers for 10 dollars. Yay?
That's what I was thinking... to the next level.
They?re just marketing it so people don?t notice that it?s as sleazy as EA?s Online Pass. Since we weren?t expecting to have multiplayer at all, used buyers should be very pleased that they can buy online multiplayer for $10.... To the next level.
Of course we don?t really know what it is and I think it?s only been announced for the 360 so it may just take your avatar to the next level.
R* was my favorite dev from last gen but this gen they?ve been annoying, grubby, and just not as entertaining.... To the next level.
For me they seem to have peaked with San Andreas.