Rockstar Promises Max Payne 3 Will Still Be Still Noir

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rockstar Promises Max Payne 3 Will Still Be Still Noir

"Bright" doesn't necessarily mean "not dark" in Max Payne 3.

The South American setting for Max Payne 3 may be a little bit brighter than the previous games in the season, but Rockstar promises that, despite all the sunshine, the game will be as "noir" as either of its predecessors.

Jernoimo Barrera, Rockstars VP of product development, said that noir was about more than just location, and that the game's sunny Sao Paulo setting didn't mean that Rockstar was abandoning what the Max Payne games were about. "We aren't moving away from those styles and techniques at all," he said. "And we've come up with what we think is an interesting interpretation of classic noir."

Barrera explained that the reason that there was sunshine at all was that, unlike previous games in the series where the action had taken place over a single night, Max Payne 3's story unfolded over the course of several weeks. He also said that, while Sao Paulo might seem a bright and cheerful place during the day, at night it was a different matter entirely and promised that there would be "enough rain-sodden, pitch-dark nights in the game to satisfy the most ardent fan of dark and wet locations."

Max Payne 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in March.

Source: GameSpot [http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6335902/exclusive-max-payne-3-story-qanda/index.html]

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Hey I'm all for it. So long as it's not another Kane and Lynch.

Ah it'll be good to play as Max once again. My preciiiiious...

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I'll give it a shot, but the first game is in my humble opinion a masterpiece that won't be exceeded by any future instalments.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Actions speak louder than words, Mr. Barrera. That said, i dont believe a single word until i see it with my own eyes. P.S.: Oh, and prepare for a true shit storm if you got rid off the Custom Game Option, the graphic novel cutscenes or Mona Sax as a character.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
"And we've come up with what we think is an interesting interpretation of classic noir."

That's a get out of jail card if ever I've heard one. So if people complain that it isn't noir, it's their fault for being to dumb to "see" it.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I hope so. I love noir aesthetics and was disappointed by the lack of it in LA Noire.

Which isn't a Rockstar-developed game. I know.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Probably won't be sold on this until critics, gamers, and friends tell me first-hand that it works.

Or maybe I'm just jaded since the original Max Payne guys are doing Alan Wake, which was great (if repetitive), and I've rarely seen any new studio pick up a floundering franchise and make it better (apart from Retro Studios).

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Look at it this way. Rockstar never made a bad game. Further more, they took Red Dead game and turned it into something more awesome than it's original developers could have ever imagined. They can do the same with Max Payne.

Evil Teddie

Feb 7, 2011
I hated the iffy controls of the first game. Why was it a masterpiece? Please tell me. Anyway, I hope they fix the controls.

May 29, 2011
I'm sure it'll be good but... I don't know, I know they made RDR But they also made GTA IV so I'm having a hard time trying to remain optimistic. Especially after the trailer.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Look at it this way. Rockstar never made a bad game. Further more, they took Red Dead game and turned it into something more awesome than it's original developers could have ever imagined. They can do the same with Max Payne.
Red Dead was already made by Rockstar. See. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Revolver] I'm not excited for this game, but I might pick it up eventually.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still think part 2 was the best but well, if they really do it that way, then part 3 could end up on my pc.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Evil Teddie said:
I hated the iffy controls of the first game. Why was it a masterpiece? Please tell me. Anyway, I hope they fix the controls.
When did you play it? Back when it was released it as renowned for bullet-time and intimate gun-play -- like being in an action movie. Not to mention a mature and gritty noir-themed story. It's a classic, and was exceptional for its time.

I'm replaying right now and while it's dated, MP is still a blast to play.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Uber Evil said:
Adam Jensen said:
Red Dead was already made by Rockstar. See. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Revolver] I'm not excited for this game, but I might pick it up eventually.
I think he was referring to Red Dead Revolver originally being a Capcom game that was later acquired by Rockstar.

On topic: Nope. Not convincing me, developer guy. If there are so many awesome things, then show them to me, instead of a cover based shooter it seems to turn out as.

Max Payne is all about flamboyantly jumping away from covers, not hiding like a sissy.

Besides, you lost me completely when you decided to attempt to pull at my heart strings in the last trailer I saw by adding the cello theme from the second game. You cheap bastards. That music does not belong in your travesty. Go make you own music if you're so good at "interpretations". Go talk to Starbreeze or 2K Marin about how to do it. I'm sure they can give some advice.