Rockstar Unveils Max Payne 3 Special Edition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rockstar Unveils Max Payne 3 Special Edition

Max Payne 3 is getting a rather pricey "special edition" treatment.

Rockstar seems to be putting a lot of effort into reviving the moribund Max Payne 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-Pc/dp/B00002SUOV/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1321899841&sr=8-7] will be available in a "definitive premium" and rather expensive special edition. It includes:

A copy of the game, and yes, this probably goes without saying but I'm covering all the bases here
A ten-inch-tall statue of Max Payne created by TriForce [http://www.projecttriforce.com/]
"Game-inspired still life art prints that depict some of Max Payne's inner demons and vices"
Bullet keychain made of copper and brass-plated iron
The "Classic Multiplayer Character Pack" featuring eight multiplayer character skins from the original Max Payne games, including Mona Sax, Vladimir Lem and the original Max Payne
The "Disorderly Conduct Multiplayer Weapons Pack," which includes devastating weaponry like the Hammerhead Auto Shotgun, the G9 Grenade Launcher and Molotov cocktail
Official Max Payne 3 soundtrack

This probably won't come as much of a shock but the Max Payne 3 Special Edition isn't cheap, going for the rather baffling $99.99/£99.99 [$157]/€109.99 [$149] depending on your locale. Is it worth that kind of extra coin? To each his own and all that, and it would be easier to judge if I wasn't quite so suspicious that "still life art print" is just a fancy way of saying "postcard," but at this point I'm really just not seeing it.

The Max Payne 3 Special Edition will be available for preorder until January 15, 2012, or "while supplies last," which sounds like a bluff to me. Max Payne 3 comes out in March 2012.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
The multiplayer part was a instant red alert for me....

I am afraid they will work more on the multiplayer and not has much on the single player story, and am afraid of a 4 hour long game....

But it IS Rockstar we're talking about.... and they are not like other companies, they are able to make excellent projects with and withouth multiplayer....

Ok... in Rockstar i trust... is just that i really loved Max Payne games, and do not want a broken down sequel...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Thanks CoD for popularizing the $150 special edition.

I do have to say, at least the night vision goggles were cool. Neither Skyrim's nor this one look anything close to worth that price tag.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm a sucker for statuettes, and that keychain looks sweet too.

But with money being tight I'll have to skip it. I'd pay ?80 for it, but ?110? No way.
Andy Chalk said:
and it would be easier to judge if I wasn't quite so suspicious that "still life art print" is just a fancy way of saying "postcard,"
Sadly I think so too, but I actually hope they are small posters, like the ones from BioShock 2. I have no doubt that they'd fit wonderfully in my room, as they're probably going to be pretty noir-ish.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Maybe i wasn't paying attention, but this is the first i've heard about multiplayer for MP3. How is bullet time going to work with MP?

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Ne1butme said:
Maybe i wasn't paying attention, but this is the first i've heard about multiplayer for MP3. How is bullet time going to work with MP?
Same as Stranglehold. It's broken.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Am I the only one who is... very wishing they never made another one? I loved the original, the second kinda killed it for me.
I had the exact same feeling regarding Deus Ex, and then Human Revolution came out and redeemed the series.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Special Edition isn't cheap, going for the rather baffling $99.99/£99.99 [$157]
What??

Where are these insane conversion rates coming from? I may as well import it, and buy a PAL version as well than just the normal at that ridiculous amount.

If I was inclined to purchase this edition of course.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...The only special edition guaranteed to get you pulled aside to a "special room" at the airport when you forget the damn keychain is in your pocket!

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Europeans have to pay 50 bucks more? Well that's nice. We never get to pay more for our games than Yanks... OH WAIT! Yes we do, all the time! HOW WONDERFUL

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Thanks CoD for popularizing the $150 special edition.

I do have to say, at least the night vision goggles were cool. Neither Skyrim's nor this one look anything close to worth that price tag.
CoD? I believe Halo popularized that high price point with its legendary edition. Way back in what, '06, '07?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well damn, that's expensive. And multiplayer weapons, really? I'd like to actually see how the multiplayer comes out, tho I'm not keeping my hopes high. And i really hope those multiplayer weapons aren't overpowered compared to the normal ones, that would be just retarded.

Also, weird, the molotov used to be a normal thingy used by Max. And now you have to pay extra to get it on multiplayer? Not very cool...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I remain hopeful for the game, but I'm not springing extra for this CE. Not nearly enough content to justify it, and given how pricing typically works in Canada (we'll probably end up paying $120 or $130 for it, even though our exchange rate is virtually on par) it's just not going to happen.

It's disappointing, because I'm a big collector's edition fan, but this will make two games I've really looked forward to that I've had to pass one - Skyrim being the other. Too much money, not enough content. I'm still on the fence about The Witcher 2, assuming I can find one; it's expensive as hell too, but man, SO MUCH STUFF. If you're going to charge 150 bucks (or even 100) for your game, you better damn well make it worth the money.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Honestly, this isn't so bad for the price - there have been similarly priced special editions that contained less. It's a shame a handful of pictures take the place of a full-blown artbook, especially given Max Payne's rich history and all the concept art that could have been included from both this game and its two predecessors. Still, a soundtrack, statuette, keychain, pictures & about $10 worth of DLC make it a fairly decent collection of trinkets for a Max Payne fan.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
the soundtrack sounds interesting and i wouldnt mind the statue but i dont care for the rest. really hope this game will be good. and i also really hope that the pc port will be good.