Rocksteady Promises PC Version of Arkham City Will Be Worth the Wait

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rocksteady Promises PC Version of Arkham City Will Be Worth the Wait

The Arkham City developer says it wants to make the game as good as possible on all platforms.

Rocksteady's Sefton Hill says that PC gamers will forget all about the Batman: Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0F5M8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d2_g63_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0KTZ0CVNZND2VAW3FVTD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] delay when they see how good version they are getting is. Rocksteady and Warner recently pushed back the game's PC release date from October to November.

Hill didn't spill the beans directly about the reasons for the delay, but he did imply that Rocksteady was using the time to give the game a little extra polish. Hill, who is the game's director, said that Rocksteady were very aware of the differences between the various platforms, and wanted to make sure that it ran as well as possible on the PC. He also said that Rocksteady listened to feedback as much as possible, both from the PC gamers within the studio and from those without.

"We got a lot of credit on the first one, about how well it played on the PC, and how well refined the controls were," he explained. "It's because part of our attitude is always to listen to those people. We want to make the best game we can for all SKUs."

Hill said that PC version of Arkham City would be the best looking of the lot, with a more fully realized world and higher resolution textures. He said that the delay was only a couple of weeks, and that PC gamers would agree that it had been worth it.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 18th, and on PC in November.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-25-rocksteady-pc-batman-worth-the-wait]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
But will it work right with realtek audio chips? Seriously, lacking support for the most common brand of integrated audio was a tremendous mistake, as it alienated a tremendous chunk of potential audience.

Not to mention, the lack of graphics options. Let users choose if they wanna use PhysX, what resolution to run at, etc. Some people would rather a lower resolution and lower AA settings in exchange for a higher framerate, and that SHOULD BE ALLOWED.

Honestly, the PC version could have simpler graphics and generally sluggish performance, and people wouldn't mind that much if they fixed these problems.

P.S. Thanks

edit: Apparently I'm too stupid to find the arkham asylum config screen. I stand by my point about it not working with realtek chips, though.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
It'll only be worth it if Rocksteady spends all those extra time meticulously scrubbing off GFWL off the game.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
It'll only be worth it if Rocksteady spends all those extra time meticulously scrubbing off GFWL off the game.
Oh, I freakin wish...

I haven't beeen following this game very closely and when I saw the title of this article I was worried that this was going to be a crappy pc port but apparently not. Fingers crossed it doesn't suck I guess.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
It will be worth the wait if the game buggers off to my kitchen and cooks my dinner for me.

Shiny graphics are not what i'd consider 'worth waiting for'.

They can make it look like chocolate chip cookies on a naked Eliza Dushku (or pretty graphics for those that don't like Eliza) but if it plays badly we'll be sad bunnies.

The other problem I have is they pushed it back to release the same month as Skyrim which may not do it many favours on the PC selling front.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
If Rocksteady really was listening for feedback (both from inside the studio and from gamers), GFWL would have been taken out a year ago.

I call BS. And I've yet to hear a justification to yet another delay for PC against console versions.

No cookie, Mr. Hill. If I buy this, it'll be in a Steam sale. I'll respect you when you respect us.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Covarr said:
Not to mention, the lack of graphics options. Let users choose if they wanna use PhysX, what resolution to run at, etc. Some people would rather a lower resolution and lower AA settings in exchange for a higher framerate, and that SHOULD BE ALLOWED.
Have you ever seen the Arkham Asylum config screen? It has a lot of options.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Covarr said:
But will it work right with realtek audio chips? Seriously, lacking support for the most common brand of integrated audio was a tremendous mistake, as it alienated a tremendous chunk of potential audience.

Honestly, the PC version could have simpler graphics and generally sluggish performance, and people wouldn't mind that much if they fixed these problems.

P.S. Thanks
Uh...

We have plenty of options with the PC version of Arkham Asylum.

paketep said:
If Rocksteady really was listening for feedback (both from inside the studio and from gamers), GFWL would have been taken out a year ago.

I call BS. And I've yet to hear a justification to yet another delay for PC against console versions.

No cookie, Mr. Hill. If I buy this, it'll be in a Steam sale. I'll respect you when you respect us.
Is a 2-3 week delay really so bad that you'll no longer support the developers?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
It will be worth the wait if the game buggers off to my kitchen and cooks my dinner for me.

Shiny graphics are not what i'd consider 'worth waiting for'.

They can make it look like chocolate chip cookies on a naked Eliza Dushku (or pretty graphics for those that don't like Eliza) but if it plays badly we'll be sad bunnies.

The other problem I have is they pushed it back to release the same month as Skyrim which may not do it many favours on the PC selling front.
How about playing the same as the console version, but with better graphics? They are not going to change the mechanics of the game between the PC and console versions. So the game play will be the same across all 3 formats.

Maybe the extra polish apart from graphics is the difference in controls vs consoles. That is people may decide to use mouse and keyboard to play the game. I am first to defend mouse and keyboard for FPS games, but I will be breaking out the 360 controller for this one. Using the joypad the experience will be no different to the 360. For those who decide to use M/K, well maybe think about using a joypad this once.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Fine by me. There is so much good stuff coming out this fall that I will be fine with waiting for Arkham City for a couple more weeks.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't mind the delay. In fact, I'll use it as an excuse to play through awesome Arkham Asylum again. I've been meaning to do that for some time. As long as they deliver a well working product I don't care how long the delay is. People are always complaining about having to deal with updates and bug fixes. The way I see it, the longer a game is in development, the more polished it will be. And I'm really in no hurry.
Besides, I've got exams in October. This is good news for me.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
If it doesn't have the need for one-on-one multiplayer matchmaking, there is no logical reason for using GFWL over Steam. I second this notion with gusto.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
How about playing the same as the console version, but with better graphics? They are not going to change the mechanics of the game between the PC and console versions. So the game play will be the same across all 3 formats.

Maybe the extra polish apart from graphics is the difference in controls vs consoles. That is people may decide to use mouse and keyboard to play the game. I am first to defend mouse and keyboard for FPS games, but I will be breaking out the 360 controller for this one. Using the joypad the experience will be no different to the 360. For those who decide to use M/K, well maybe think about using a joypad this once.
I will be using a joypad.

M/K has it's place for some games as you say, FPS, MMO's and most RPG's but for games like Batman and Assassins Creed it's ye olde joypad for me.

I wasn't digging at them delaying it for no apparent reason. I'm hoping the use the time to iron out what usually makes a game a bad console to PC port and it plays smoothly.

If they are just delaying it for a graphical overhaul, which is what some people believe, then thats not worth a delay.

I'd be more than happy with a version that looks exactly the same as the console ones as long as it plays just as smoothly. Graphics aren't everything. A game can look shiny and great but, as the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd. As long as it plays great i'll be a happy bunny if not then i'm going to wonder what the hell the delay was for.

I'm not going to praise a game for playing fantastic just because the last one did. We haven't seen this one yet and I don't like to assume it's going to be just as good. Last time I got my hopes up for a game it was a massive let down (Dead Island, i'm looking at you).

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
ph0b0s123 said:
I will be using a joypad.

M/K has it's place for some games as you say, FPS, MMO's and most RPG's but for games like Batman and Assassins Creed it's ye olde joypad for me.

I wasn't digging at them delaying it for no apparent reason. I'm hoping the use the time to iron out what usually makes a game a bad console to PC port and it plays smoothly.

If they are just delaying it for a graphical overhaul, which is what some people believe, then thats not worth a delay.

I'd be more than happy with a version that looks exactly the same as the console ones as long as it plays just as smoothly. Graphics aren't everything. A game can look shiny and great but, as the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd. As long as it plays great i'll be a happy bunny if not then i'm going to wonder what the hell the delay was for.

I'm not going to praise a game for playing fantastic just because the last one did. We haven't seen this one yet and I don't like to assume it's going to be just as good. Last time I got my hopes up for a game it was a massive let down (Dead Island, i'm looking at you).
I won't be happy if the game looks exactly the same as the console versions. If a couple of weeks delay is what I have to pay for the game to have DX11 with tessellation / fog support plus physx (which is what the game will be coming with), then I am happy to pay it. Also by that point we will know if the game is a turkey or not, so won't have to risk money to buy a bad game. If it's bad on consoles, it's going to definitely be bad on PC.

bahumat42 said:
ph0b0s123 said:
AA had brilliant m/k support. It just worked. It sohuldnt of but did. Although it dont work fpr everything, AC series is painful with a keyboard.
Good to know. So even M/K users should be catered for if they were able to do it with the last game. But since pinpoint aiming is not need and button mashing attacks are, like the first one, it's no brainer joypad for me.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Some of you guys are forgetting that the PC version should be the better version of the game for 20 dollars less than the console version. That to me, is worth the wait. Well that and DX11.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
paketep said:

I like hearing about delays. It gives me the impression that they're actually trying to release a product that will work out of the box: which is pretty rare with games on all platforms now-a days.
I'm now actually more inclined to buy the PC version.