Role-Playing Games

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Role-Playing Games

Yes, in every game you play a role. No, not every game is a role-playing game.

Read Full Article

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i agree that we need some better categories to put games in, they are just to wage atm.

and borderlands was one long snorefest, and even though i agree with most of what you wrote i still think you presented it in a overly mean, arrogant and bitter fashion, even for you.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've never understood the JRPG naming, but RPGs have always clearly been the likes of KotOR, Mass Effect, Oblivion, etc.

There's a difference between playing the role (like in Batman: AA) and "being" the role (like in the games listed above).

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
borderlands was amazing (like i stated in my self written review this weekend). but its opinion. yahtzee is an awsum reviewer, he is entitled to his views. anyone else who criticises the game however...

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Yes, Role Playing Game genre is messed up because most games takes a role character but not in such specific fashion of Role Playing games of numbers, stats and powerful equipment.

Mertruve

Feb 9, 2009
Yes, this was the gist of quite a lot of the Torchlight feedback. Yes, you can certainly hold the mouse button down to keep attacking an enemy, but my concern was about needless energy loss, and keeping the mouse button depressed is still a far worse solution than just clicking once to keep attacking an enemy until they die.
Uh, I didn't hear any complaints about constantly clicking on enemies in Modern Warfare 2 (holding the mouse down button is also required if you have an MG!).

What is the name of this Bar and/or Book going to be?
Mana and Mogworld respectively.

Also, if anything, we need to abandon categories.

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
all my friends tell me to play borderlands

they say its "like fallout 3, but without all that rpg crap... just the shooting!"

then i say "but thats why i loved fallout 3...cause of the rpg crap"... and then we almost get killed by a crazy navy guy who thinks we littered

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
true that games are beginning to diverge in terms of genres; now there are subsubgenres in subgenres (action adventure can be open world or linear)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
AceInTheHole16 said:
What is the name of this Bar and/or Book going to be?
Mana Bar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97387-Yahtzee-and-Pals-to-Open-Videogame-Bar] and Mogworld [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95677-EXCLUSIVE-Dark-Horse-Books-Announces-Ben-Yahtzee-Croshaws-Debut-Novel-Mogworld].

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Great, I was suppose to do a rant on this subject. I guess we can call your type of game with the name of "Point here and shoot at alien or douche no. 56".

LordSnakeEyes

Mar 9, 2009
1- So I'm not the only one worried gaming nomenclature becoming too wide in it's definitions...

2- I adore the bit where Yahtzee flat out destroys the hopes anyone who insists for a Borderlands review and then just makes it so people who criticize can go to hell (the last sentence).

3- (slightly out of Topic) If "everyone" (I realize that is a generalization) keeps complaining about the three-legged post-trauma ahsmatic dog that is JRPGs, how do they still sell!? And most of all, how do Japanese developpers not notice their games are somewhat broken and need fixing(IE to be neutered)?

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Not so much funny as it is angry today. Was going to argue with you but considered it wasn't to be taking to heart. Good point on the RPG's applying to all games to an extent...

I don't think the dogs in rpg's is anything to do with co-op. You'll see it in western "RPG's" (for lack of a better acronym) where for the most part your playing solo. It's just a companion/pack mule/meat shield to make the game easier (however i think Biowares Dragon age was just pulling the piss to some extent).

It was a clever idea that the other develepors duplicated, sort of what every other developer does to some extent.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Woodsey said:
I've never understood the JRPG naming, but RPGs have always clearly been the likes of KotOR, Mass Effect, Oblivion, ect.
Because JRPGs aren't based on western nomenclature? You notice the 'J' in front of the RPG?

Strictly speaking in the west they would be more properly labeled as "adventure games' or somesuch, but really, the tendencies of combat, stats, loot, and worldspace all lend JRPGs to the RPG family. They are not based on pen & paper RPGs however, which is where most of the confusion comes in.

By "role playing game", while you don't create or shape the role, the player is meant to assume the role, insofar as the role, characters, and story are the end purpose of the game, rather than just a vehicle to deliver the gameplay.

That makes any sense?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least your honest about the Borderlands thing.

Good point though, with everything becoming so convoluted the old encylopedia of game types need to be updated...with things mixing everything these days you could really say anything is an RPG.

Although, be it JRPG, FPSRPG, WRPG...there is just so many!

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
Hmm, renaming the genres could be hard. The only one I can think of would be to replace RPGs and JRPGs.

Avatar Development Game (ADG or Avment Game) - Takes the place of Role-Playing Games. Describes how you develop your avatar by choosing your actions.

Tactical Cinematic Game (TCG or CineTac) - Takes the place of JRPGs. Describes a game in which main story progression comes from cinematics and combat is more tactical such as selecting and combining combat moves with other characters.

Meh, those ideas kinda suck, but it's worth a try.