Role-Playing Grandmother Misses Release of Dragon Quest VI

ENKC

May 3, 2010
You know, with a town named 'Puyallup', I'm genuinely suprised it's not here in the south west of Western Australia (WA). It sounds just like one of our town names.

Which reminds me, there was apparently an old lady who used to ring the Nintendo helpline all the time wanting help playing Lufia. I wonder if they still have those people who give walkthroughs over the phone.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Wow that's quite...unfortunate

If the Half-Life series doesn't end with the next game, then I'm seriously wondering whether I'll see the end of it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
How unfortunate, I'd wish my grandmother had just a bit of awesomeness Ms. Jeter had.

May she rest in peace.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Diligent said:
Depressing indeed.
This has got me thinking about a high school buddy who passed away before duke nukem forever became a total debacle. He was really looking forward to playing it, and now that it's coming out, I'll probably have to pour out a beer on my computer for him when I finish it.
I found out a couple of years back that a high school buddy who encouraged me to get into JRPGs (and through them the RPG genre as a whole) had died in a traffic accident. That was depressing too.

I should go back and play Final Fantasy VII again in his honor at some point.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
This should be a call to action. They should start taking into account people like this and thus make more moves to bring great games to other countries, etc.

I also hope to play Elder Scrolls XII :p

But on the flip side I don't want it to fall into FF's pattern and just release games without thought.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Now, I've heard of older people playing video games before, but never have I seen an RPG fan, let alone Dragon Quest! But hopefully she got to enjoy DQIX in it's awesome glory before she died.

I knew a guy who was really anticipating Final Fantasy XIII, but he died in June 2008...

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Man... that makes me think about the games I want to play, then die before it releases...

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
'96 to a few weeks ago. That's a lot of awesome, game-wise. I can only hope that she enjoyed the ride.

You know, I never did play shadow of the colossus or katamari damasi. Perhaps I'll pick up a ps2 from ebay or something.

PPB

May 25, 2009
Very sad, though hopefully she had fun with other games.

AetherWolf said:
Now, I've heard of older people playing video games before, but never have I seen an RPG fan, let alone Dragon Quest!
One of my friends had a grandpa who apparently went nuts over Baldur's Gate, to the point where he had uncovered every little corner of all the areas. I actually have an easier time imagining older folks playing RPGs than "twitchy" games like FPSs and platformers.

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
As the blessing goes, "May you achieve all of your goals but one." It's always good to have something to look forward to, even if it never happens, and I'm sure she had plenty of games to enjoy already.

There are plenty of games I want to play before I die, but most of them have already been made.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Perhaps the crap Enix released later like Dragon Quest VIII poisoned her on the series for life? We can hope... I guess.

As an addendum I've been waiting for Marvel vs Capcom 3 for over 10 years. Luckily I'm quite a lot younger than this poor lady. It would totally suck to die right before a game you had been waiting on for ages.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Bless her heart. She's levelling up with Jesus now. Or possibly some other diety.

On a side note, how awesome would a D&D campaign with Norse Gods be? With Odin DMing? Damn.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
That is sad. But there are entire graveyards filled with the souls of those who are still waiting for Duke to be done. ;)

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Makes me wonder how many fans died waiting for Mother 3 to get localized into Earthbound 2 (or was it 3?)