Role-Playing Grandmother Misses Release of Dragon Quest VI

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Role-Playing Grandmother Misses Release of Dragon Quest VI

An atypical RPG fan that had been looking forward to Dragon Quest VI for more than a decade unfortunately passed away before she could play it.

Square Enix is bringing amazing pre-order bonus [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-VI-Revelation-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002I0GKIQ]), but sadly, an elderly fan that had been anticipating the game for 15 years won't get to see it. In 1996, Nintendo Power printed a letter from 76-year-old Edith Jeter of Puyallup, WA where she hoped she'd live long enough to play a localized version of Dragon Quest VI, and it just missed the mark.

Poster "Urban Champion-e" from the Racketboy Forums recently came across a Nintendo Power article titled "Enix Fans Speak Out," quoting multiple RPG enthusiasts that were upset about games such as Dragon Quest VI that might not make it to the U.S. after the temporary closing of Enix of America. Jeter was one such enthusiast, who said: "I'm now 76 years old. I may not live long enough to see Dragon Quest VI unless someone takes action soon."

Urban Champion-e decided to look Jeter up to see if she was still around to play Dragon Quest VI through the upcoming DS release. He evidently found her obituary, with Jeter having passed away on January 3, 2011, just a month-and-a-half shy of Dragon Quest VI's English localization. It's undeniably the correct Jeter, whose obituary said she enjoyed playing video games.

Talk about a cool grandmother. Who needs friends when you can go over your grandmom's to trade Dragon Quest IX [http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Black-Version-Nintendo-DS/dp/B004EW2PC6/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296415429&sr=1-1]'s treasure maps? She probably moved on to other RPGs since 1996, but damn, I really wish Jeter could have at least taken a look at Dragon Quest VI on the DS. Morbidly, her unfortunate situation gets you wondering what games we'll all miss by a sliver when we die. If I never get to play Elder Scrolls XII, I'm going to be very annoyed.

Source: Tiny Cartridge [http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28209]

TrogzTheTroll

Aug 11, 2009
Oh Half-Life 3.. Perhaps I'll play you in another life.

OT: That's a really cool lady, and it's too bad she wasn't able to live to play the game.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Depressing indeed.
This has got me thinking about a high school buddy who passed away before duke nukem forever became a total debacle. He was really looking forward to playing it, and now that it's coming out, I'll probably have to pour out a beer on my computer for him when I finish it.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
That is quite sad. It is a shame she couldn't get to experience the game she was so anticipating. =( Maybe they could at least bury a time capsule with a factory-sealed copy of the game alongside her coffin (it would probably not be a good idea to open the coffin itself at this point).

Its not much, but at least it would honour her memory.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
That has genuinely left a lump in my throat. This is the first thing to do that since I watched Up.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
I hope to be that kind of grandmother when I am older. WOW, reminds me of my own grandmother who was so excited when I got her a DS with Mario for christmas. The day she passes, I will go into a deep depression

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
As a Roman Catholic, I would like to believe that she is in Heaven, playing every game she could wish, but in full-immersion. She plays as herself, and her avatar is as young and capable as she was in her wildest years, and her mind as sharp as it was before her death. She is adventuring and leveling up right now, with the knowledge that, when the rest of her loved ones finally arrive at the Character Creation Room of St. Peter, she will be high enough level to show them the ropes.

Keep on Grinding, Grandmother.

Once a Gamer, always a Gamer.

Rathcoole

Jan 1, 2011
R.I.P Edith Jeter, Perhaps the coolest grandmother ever. If you believe in the afterlife then I am sure she is up there kicking gods ass at a video game right now.

As for me I reckon I will be dead by the end of the decade so I refuse to worry about it. I am sure there will be plenty of epic games after I am gone. But what will I care I will be dead.

Sep 14, 2009
damn, that is the coolest fucking old lady, i love my grandma, but damn that lady would've been so much fun to have around.

OT: well if there is a heaven, hopefully she's up there having the damn time of her life.

emechbjm

Jun 8, 2010
Cliff hanger endings need to stop - just stop - with 18 months between games too many grandmas never find out how stories conclude.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I wish my grandma played video games. Last time I showed her one of mine (Super Mario 64 DS) she didn't quite understand it.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Finally, when the impossible happens, and the greatest JRPG remake in history is about to be released, I will be hit by a bus, stabbed by a cutpurse, shot by an estranged lover, smote by a silly god. The game that I would have missed by days? Final Fantasy 7 Remade. Not just ANY remake. The one where Square Enix finally gets their shit together, and harkens back to a time when they were masters of not only the Jrpg, but the RPG in general.

Yup. I'll be dead for that.

hottsaucekid

Sep 20, 2009
Gabe Newell is Fat.
Eat you're heart out valve fanboys. HALF LIFE 3 WILL NEVER HAPPEN MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OT: Kingdom Hearts 3 will be out by the time im around 21 and I'll be that wierdo that plays kids games.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
That Guy Who Phails said:
Sovereignty said:
Damn that's depressing...

She really should have had better taste in games.
This probably makes us terrible people, but that was one of my first thoughts, too.

I say we just claim, "At least it's truthful." And flip it to sound like moral superiority!