Romance in Games that you thought was Well Executed

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I was actually surprised that there would be a romantic element to Deadly Premonition, but I thought it worked well. It felt unhurried and progressed naturally. Plus, it was nice to see a love interest that developed alongside the protagonist, working to protect him as he protected her.

EternalNothingness said:
Sure, the KH games don't flat out state that the above characters are gay. But, when you look at each of those pairs and how they interact with each other, it's implied that they're gay, rather than stated. I mean, all that talk about the power of friendship, and how their hearts are connected even when they're apart, and whatever the hell... it just seems like something out of a gay romance.
Sorry, I think that's more your interpretation than an actual implication.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
The Last Story indefinitely, it had better than mediocre writing going for it at least. Yes the love story shown has been done to death a million times, but out of those a million at least it didn't shit all over itself, which is the best I could ask for.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Lee and Carley, in The Walking Dead.

It doesn't get very far ... but it's there. And it's not forced.

I won't say anymore because nobody deserves to find out what happens in any of that game without playing it for themselves.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
The Witcher 2 romance between Geralt and Triss was quite wonderful in my opinion. I really enjoyed it, something that doesn't really happen with me.

Apparently Persona 3/4 does Romance quite well, but I haven't played it yet.

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
chimpzy said:
Lazy said:
Jackie and Jenny in The Darkness.

In one short, simple scene their relationship is made more believable than 99% of video game romances.
Shocksplicer said:
OK, for real: Jackie Estacado and Jenny Romano from the Darkness games. Pretty much the only games in history where the Main Character's love is actually an effective motive for the entire story.
That makes three of us.

I don't know of many other games where you actually do things a couple would do. Not in a way that doesn't seem forced and/or contrived. And in a first person shooter no less.
Yay four people that liked that game. Seriously the part in the orphanage in the first game was the saddest thing that I have seen in a game since... ever.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Big Boss and The Boss. Wow.
Persona 4 social links with the main female cast members felt very real. Special mention to P4G for expanding on the relationships with said characters.
Nate Drake and Elena in Uncharted 2. The only game in the series that nailed the dialogue with them perfectly. Clowns.
Junpei and Chidori from Persona 3. Such a short time these characters spent together and it is deeeeeep. Not to mention the scene where Junpei finds resolve, that hit me hard.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Lord Garnaat said:
Shadow of the Colossus had a beautiful romance running throughout the plot. Heck, the main love interest never says a word and spends most of the game dead, and it's still really touching!

Also, I'm not sure if anyone here has played Super Paper Mario, but the romance between "Blumier" and "Timpani" is surprisingly touching. Anyone whose played the game knows what I'm talking about.
True enough. That game receives far too much hate, mostly because it isn't a real paper mario game.

Detaching it from one's expectations for the franchise though, it's a very good game all on its own.

tce11

Turtle Who Lives in the Clouds
Apr 17, 2008
Squall and Rinoa from FFVIII, surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet, sure it might not be the most believable romance out there, but for the time it was pretty engaging. Though me being a socially awkward angsty teen at the time it came out might have helped me be more moved by a socially awkward angsty teen romance. Parts of it still hold up though, all the stuff on the Ragnarok is great, when "Eyes on Me" starts playing. Also the Laguna relationships are pretty good as well, both with Julia, and later Raine.

However since playing To the Moon all other game romances seem to pale in comparison. Man that is a fantastic game.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Maybe "Romance" isn't the proper word, but James Sunderland's love for his (deceased) wife, Mary, in Silent Hill 2. The reason is that throughout the game, it becomes very, very clear that this is the only thing he has to live for. It's depressing, but very well executed.

CNKFan said:
chimpzy said:
Lazy said:
Jackie and Jenny in The Darkness.

In one short, simple scene their relationship is made more believable than 99% of video game romances.
Shocksplicer said:
OK, for real: Jackie Estacado and Jenny Romano from the Darkness games. Pretty much the only games in history where the Main Character's love is actually an effective motive for the entire story.
That makes three of us.

I don't know of many other games where you actually do things a couple would do. Not in a way that doesn't seem forced and/or contrived. And in a first person shooter no less.
Yay four people that liked that game. Seriously the part in the orphanage in the first game was the saddest thing that I have seen in a game since... ever.
Make that five people.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
I'm throwing my vote in with the rest of the people mentioning Mass Effect romances. Liara's romance is really really sweet, and Garrus's is just adorable. Now if only there were a Krogan romance option...

Now, this isn't really a romance, but playing Journey with another person, every time I felt really attached to this other character. Especially when I put on the white cloak and play with a red-cloaked avatar. I get this urge to protect them, especially in some of the later levels. The dynamic between players in that game is so beautifully executed, I can't help feeling like I'm actually friends with a person I'll probably never talk to again.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Femshep/Kaiden: Both are played by seasoned voice actors at the top of their game and they sell every line. On top of that, Kaiden's epic sad face when he has to leave during the Extended Cut. My heart broke in two when I saw it.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
Dfskelleton said:
Maybe "Romance" isn't the proper word, but James Sunderland's love for his (deceased) wife, Mary, in Silent Hill 2. The reason is that throughout the game, it becomes very, very clear that this is the only thing he has to live for. It's depressing, but very well executed.
Thank God someone said it.

This relationship honestly breaks my heart, it became a rare instance where I actually cared about helping James, and finding Mary.

Syndarr

Mar 28, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Third: Fei and Elly from Xenogears, totally love the reincarnated, time spanning romance of those two. Also they "settle" on being in love about halfway through the game and it's good to see stories where the characters don't mince about it for the entire game.
While I hate Fei and Elly as characters, I agree that it was very satisfying to see them actually establish their relationship during the game. It annoys the crap out of me when characters spend the entire story in "will-they-won't-they" mode, especially when it's painfully obvious how they feel about each other.

That's also why I like Dart and Shana's relationship in Legend of Dragoon. Even though it starts out as a really cliche "they were childhood friends, she likes him but he's oblivious" thing, there is a point at which they actually decide "okay, yes, we are an item now" and it's very sweet.

I will also add a vote to Tidus and Yuna. Tidus' reaction when he finds out what will happen to Yuna at the end of her pilgrimage is a very good depiction of the irrational, emotional response of someone who has gotten more attached to this person than even he realizes. Or at least that's how I interpret it. ;)

However, my real vote goes to Yuri and Alice from Shadow Hearts. They're pretty much polar opposites, but their personalities complement one another so well that it's an absolute joy to watch them bounce off each other. And without spoiling anything, the very short time they spend together in Shadow Hearts: Covenant both rends and warms the heart.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
skywolfblue said:
Monkey and Trip from Enslaved.
This is a tricky subject matter, and if there's any game that I would probably say pulled it off emotionally, it was this one. Something simple as badly animated characters (Mass Effect) could totally blow it off; making the chemistry seem fake like watching a 7 year old girl playing with Ken and Barbie dolls. And a lot of games fall under that category.

Someone mentioned Heavy Rain, and even though sex scene was pretty decently animated, the romance itself felt a bit forced.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Squall and Rinoa, which is what all of Final Fantasy VIII centered around. I could relate because Squall and I share the same personality and would probably use the same amount of melodrama in his situation.

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
The thing that immediately jumps to mind is Hawke and Merrill from DA2, but I also like Shephard and Liara in Mass Effect Trilogy. The thing that makes most things really satisfying to me in any game is knowing that had I done things differently, the good stuff happening on the screen might not have happened, so I really enjoyed both of those. And while I know that Merrill's character is essentially just any given "funny foreigner" from a sit-com, I still really enjoyed the romance plot, and thought she was sweet and nice and D'AAAAWW :D :D :D :D :D :D :D! So yeah. I like those.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Res Plus said:
Never really got into romance in games, all seems extremely stilted. Still waiting for a Citizen Kane moment. Unfortunately, it seems the more narratively sound or experimental a game becomes the less "game" is actually present, Zero Kentucky and Dear Esther etc.
The closest I have to come to having a phenonemal narritve experience was when (spolier for a game that game out ten years ago) Silent Hill 2 revealed that James had smothered his wife. I was partly stunned, but oddly, part of me also was expecting it. The entire game was Jame's journey through his own personal hell to find his wife, and the more I played the more I realized that he had down something awful to wind up there. What's best, is up to the moment you play the fateful tape, it is all very subtily implied, never stated.