Romance of the Three Kingdoms Slated for North American Release

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Romance of the Three Kingdoms Slated for North American Release

The historical simulation Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX is coming to the PC in North America.

Publisher KOEI will bring the game to the region on July 29 following the launch of another one of its titles.

"Following KOEI's successful launch of Warriors Orochi for Windows-based PC earlier this year, the response to bringing more of KOEI's popular franchises to the platform has been overwhelming," said Amos Ip, Senior Vice President at KOEI Corporation. "For PC releases, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series has always been at the top of our fans' wish lists. We are looking forward to bringing Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI to Windows-based PC this summer."

The game is set at the eclipse of the Han Dynasty in 2nd and 3rd centuries A.D. Players can manage the empire using more than 40 commands to tweak a variety of assets and manage armies and diplomats as well as the economy.

The turn-based title is Rating Pending and will retail for $20.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
More of a Dynasty Warriors man myself, although I do have Volume One of the great epic which was Romance of the Three Kingdoms sitting on my bookshelf. I got to Yuan Shao's era (which is about 200 pages of minuscule font in) and gave up; it was far too hard to read properly. Not that I'm illiterate or anything, its just that its been really poorly re-written for an English, current audience.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
I have all of the Three Kingdoms books, and they are just downright hard to translate into English. The biggest problem is that the original author constantly references obscure moments in Chinese history, so the edition I have is at least 50% end-notes. It's a good read if you're REALLY into history. As for the games, I never did well because it feels like you have to micromanage everything. Didn't real Chinese warlords have courts and ministers to handle this stuff?

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
greygelgoog said:
I have all of the Three Kingdoms books, and they are just downright hard to translate into English. The biggest problem is that the original author constantly references obscure moments in Chinese history, so the edition I have is at least 50% end-notes. It's a good read if you're REALLY into history. As for the games, I never did well because it feels like you have to micromanage everything. Didn't real Chinese warlords have courts and ministers to handle this stuff?
Yeah. I was reading the abridged version a while back online, which does a brilliant job at summarising each chapter or so. Still, every other line had people debating over the meaning and context of what each section actually refers to. Which was one of the reasons I opted to get a copy of the entire text; in order to decipher it for myself. Unfortunately, aside from a brief notation or two in the beginning, my version goes fairly unnarrated and, at times, can be as vague as some of the copies out there of Art of War. I have a sure passion for 'Romance...', but it certainly doesn't run deep enough to encourage me to brave the depths of the tome a second time.

And yeah, heh, that's why I prefer the likes of Dynasty Warriors Empires; at least you get some real action out of those sorts of variations, despite it being horribly historically inaccurate.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
HalfShadow said:
Has anyone ever actually finished one of these damned things?
No. It's like doing a self-study language book. You go through the first few lessons all gung-ho learning how to say hello in Chinese or German or something. But it soon gets too boring and complicated and you find something better to do with your time.

It starts off fun, but you soon realize you'd rather be playing a Total War or Civilization game.