RoosterTeeth has gone anime (new series called RWBY)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Hmmm... I like the art style and the animation but I find myself not really engaged.

There's such a thing as making a character too strong to the point where I am unable to sympathize with the character's struggle(or their lack of). I actually found myself sympathizing with the werewolves to get a decent hit in.

I just don't care about a person's morning exercise regime that they do before they eat breakfast.

If this were the end of a story where the character struggled, failed, rose from the ashes and now succeeded in being able to effortlessly dispatch the antagonist(s) then that would give a feeling of elation, being glad about the character's accomplishments. Without that context, it falls flat.

This just looks like a very good portfolio piece to show off a person's animation skills.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Never heard of any of it, gave it a go. All I got from that was flower petals and innocent-looking kawaii teenage girl with a giant gun. Also the animation was awkward, felt like it had no weight to the figures. I think I will continue to stay away from anything resembling anime.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Copper Zen said:
I enjoyed the intro for a while, but grimaced soon enough.

Ultra tough/lethal anime girls are cliche. The gun/scythe was interesting, but the endless fight with its predictable route and ending was...predictable.

Is there anyone else here who felt that the fight just dragged on and that the girl's slaughtering werewolf after werewolf was practically...by the book? Routine?

Predictable?

Without a decent story I won't be interested. If I want mindless/pointless/endless anime fights I'll look up Dragonball Z.
Agreed. the entire thing was 1 cliche after another, they even did the Schindler's List red on black and white motif which is used everywhere nowadays.

Rook takes Knight

Oct 1, 2012
MeChaNiZ3D said:
It looks really...really awesome, but I can't help but wonder how they are ever going to create tension or challenge this character at all.
They could always introduce an enemy which is as strong as she is and create an epic battle.

As for the video,the best thing about it is the music,really.I have a soft spot for action scenes going along with Spanish-esque music.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
i have high hopes for it. i really enjoyed the trailer.

i didn't really like that it was a bunch of werewolves getting their asses handed to them. i really like werewolves and would like to see more media with them in it. but even so. it looks fun and exciting with some beautiful visuals. looks like gun-scythe girl is only one of what looks to be 4 main characters, i wonder who the other 3 are.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Looks really interesting.

However, I can not get interested in this since I'm still waiting for the conclusion to Dead Fantasy!

Captcha: filthy rich
I wish I was

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
The action is cool but that's it, it seems to have no substance outside of making a cool action sequence, a little bit of emotion in it would of been great but the protagonist just keeps that same bored look through out.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Hey, I'd watch it. It looks really interesting... plus the Red Riding Hood-looking girl has a gun that turns into a scythe. Badass.

Okay, I admit it's a bit... cliche... but hey it's just a teaser, maybe the series itself will be different... I hope.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Well, although I really like Red vs Blue, but I was never a fan of the overly flashy fight scenes, and I also don't really like anime, so I'll give this a pass.

Riptide1

Oct 28, 2010
holy shit! who gave little red riding hood a shotgun scythe!?!

Every part of this looks amazing, cant wait to see the full thing

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
I think we can just go and call 2012 the year of Rooster Teeth, Lets play being a multi million hit show, The Gauntlet looking like an actually well made Video game game show, the Siri short (this might have been 2011) RvB season 10 being insane and from what I've seen having x3 the hits of last year, also that $180 Box set they are selling the shit out of.

Really looking forward to this as well. I think a hell of a lot of the media company's need to take notice of RT and their evolution.

Oh and Rage quit and Gavin will be the new "test Subjects" for the new Immersion. That alone wins.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Can't wait for it to be honest. I've loved Monty's work so far and this looks great. Also, shotgun scythe huh...guess I haven't seen every impractical weapon there is.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I LOVE the art style here. The music is also phenomenal and fits the trailer very well.

Obviously, it would get boring if the entire series was nothing but action flips, but as long as the story is good too, I think this could definitely be a series I would watch.

I'm interested in what she and the other (presumably 3) characters will sound like, though.

One tiny critique is the movement of the werewolves, which seems at some parts to be a little "robotic," but that's minor, since the action itself was really well-done.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
xplosive59 said:
Agreed. the entire thing was 1 cliche after another, they even did the Schindler's List red on black and white motif which is used everywhere nowadays.
I think that that's only because she's the first of four characters (you see at the end, Red White Blue(?) Yellow). The next trailer will likely have "white" being a theme as opposed to red, followed by a blue-themed trailer, etc. I think it's just chance that this girl came first on the list (except for, you know, R being first in the name RWBY).

We'll see, of course, but I'm not too worried as of yet.

Tony Gonzales

Oct 22, 2010
If i were to assume, it is a story about fairy tale girls, RWBY representing the individual characters. Red riding hood for red in this trailer. Perhaps it then snow white, i have no idea who the girl under black is and the only yellow fairy tale is either goldy locks or alice.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I've always enjoyed Monty's fighting animations since Dead Fantasy (which I would love to see him continue). This looks like a massive improvement from those, so I'm looking forward to seeing more out of it.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Siegreich said:
Is it just me or does this character remind you guys of Margaret from No More Heroes 2 the weapons basically the same except she uses two of them.
Same here,she also reminded me of Yeager from Tales of Vesperia,and that part in Ninja Gaiden 2 where you get the scythe and try it out on some werewolves