RoosterTeeth has gone anime (new series called RWBY)

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
While it looks pretty well done, I cant help but agree with the following quote, unfortunetly.

Waffle_Man said:
Personally, while I greatly respect what Monty Oum does, I don't think I've ever actually enjoyed anything he's done. It's too flashy to be exciting for me. When characters don't have to obey the laws of gravity, flips have no meaning. When werewolves can be killed with such ease, there is no difference between 2 or 200. When the character hardly looks like they're even trying in combat, I have no need to feel anxious or impressed. Hell, I can't even tell what's going on at the end of it. I will check it out so that it has the chance to impress me with some sort of compelling writing, but I'm not going to be upset or surprised if it's just another excuse for characters to go around and act "badass" in the most surface-oriented way possible.

With that said. I love the idea of Rooster Teeth (or any individual/small enterprise) making anything of substantial production value that isn't based on existing properties and I certainly hope it does well on principle.
So yeah, this. Agree with pretty much exactly all of the above.

I hope however that this show does not replace RvB, and that roosterteeth kicks out something else as well to take RvBs place. They've prooved they can keep an interesting narrative going in the halo universe so perhaps that's an idea, especielly with halo4 being out and all.

Really gonna miss all the RvB characters though.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I saw the trailer with the Scythe dude/girl. I like the art style, but all the slashing and killing got pretty boring. Maybe its just because I had no story to work with, but I just felt like the scene went on far too long

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Jesus... I have Red vs Blue Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and then dropped out of it.

Speaking strictly from a writing stand point, they were pretty good when they first started, so long as they are still passionate about anything their creating I think it'll be successful and find an audience.

NinjaSocks333

Jul 13, 2012
TimeLord said:
Easton Dark said:
That's a lot of rose petals in that animation.

I'm sure Ray will be a fan.

(I've never watched RvB)
Aha! A fellow Minecraft Let's Play fan?
Personally I have never watched RvB myself either. By the time I'd stumbled across it, it was 9 seasons in and I did not have the time to invest in it. But this looks pretty good so I'll keep an eye out for it.
You really should give it a shot. Personally i'm happy Monty ISN'T doing RvB. All the fight scenes arent what i watch RvB for, even if they are impressive. i lost intrest around season 9, i couldn't follow it and i seemed too serious. Classic RvB had a story but was MUCH more humorous!

MoreThanANoob

Oct 9, 2012
MeChaNiZ3D said:
It looks really...really awesome, but I can't help but wonder how they are ever going to create tension or challenge this character at all. Without a doubt my favourite thing from that video is the gun-scythe, and using the recoil of firing to slice with the scythe was magnificent.
We appear to share the same opinion on this topic. I'm sure we all know how easy "goons" are to defeat, but she just seemed so bored with it, with context as to why. Are these, as I mentioned seconds ago, the simple "goons"? Has she refined her skill so much that tougher enemies pose no threat? Both? Or is she just arrogant? With such outstanding visual personality I find it extraordinarily disappointing that we have no actual characterization happening here.

It's like a Square Enix trailer. Sure it was pretty, but all we know walking away from it is "chick with a cool weapon" and "OMG wolves". Not horrible selling points, but I'd like to know where my time may be going.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
So what do you think of the preview?
Ever since Monty Oum joined the company this was inevitable.

I won't be watching it, but I think any kind of expansion (and hopefully success) for Rooster Teeth is good.

However, if this leads to a fall in the quality of Red Vs Blue their MoCap cameras will being having a little set-to with a well known codeword.

It will be Rooster Teeth's most expensive day ever.

Of all time.

MoreThanANoob

Oct 9, 2012
The_Blue_Rider said:
I saw the trailer with the Scythe dude/girl. I like the art style, but all the slashing and killing got pretty boring. Maybe its just because I had no story to work with, but I just felt like the scene went on far too long
Ditto. I don't know what it was about it, but about halfway through I just got bored of it.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Well, any serious anime fan can tell you stuff like this is hard to find. Sure, the smug hipster cynic in you may think this has been done to death, but budgetary restrictions mean most anime have to struggle to put in more than a little action. Drawing is hard, folks!

The last anime like this would be Black Rock Shooter which, yes, came out this year (and, since I saw it just like a week ago, I could talk about it so much...the first half was so amazing and the second half was so, so bad). But most anime like this only pretend to be like this because, as I said, budgetary restrictions. Lure people in with guns and girls and them bait and switch them with a harem comedy.

And now that I've talked way too much without saying anything, I will conclude by saying that yes, the lack of tension is definitely present. I've seen some Monty Oum before...Haloid I think, and some Dead Fantasy, and they had the same problem as I recall. On the other hand, there's plenty of room to evolve.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
So with the last episode of Red Vs Blue that was uploaded yesterday/ last night (which I think will be the end of that series forever well except for PSA related stuff)
[link]http://areyoumakingmoreredvsblue.com/ [/link]

I like how this looks so far. I do hope they clean up the dog/wolf SFX though for the final product.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
It looks pretty cool, but I'm doubtful it will anything else going for it. Not that I'm against mindless action.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
I wonder how long Monty has been planning this out. A guy like him has a crazy idea a day, so there's no doubt this is one of many of his original series he's been kicking around for awhile.

It's his first animation I know of that has original characters... His first stuff was based on his friends, then Haloid came along with Samus and MC, Dead Fantasy was another crossover and RvB wasn't written by him. Oh, and Icarus with John Woo.

I really can't wait to see the character designs on the others. Ruby looks awesome.

Finally, "High Velocity Sniper Scythe". Holy shit. I want one of those.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
It's certainly not realistic, and I can understand if people don't feel a lot of suspense given the OPness of Red up there, but personally I find that Monty Oum's amazing animation and stylistic design allow me to suspend that little bit of disbelief. That, and I was a fan of his Haloid and Dead Fantasy works, and his work in RvB was also amazing. While I can understand if people didn't like the drama and wanted more comedy, there's only so long you can go on a joke without starting to get stale. Personally, I liked seeing them try to extend their series past simple jokes, and imo it worked out pretty well. I thought Seasons 6-10 were just amazing.

runnerbelow

Feb 11, 2009
Country
Canada
It's true that when making a series animators need to cut corners like mad, but, in all fairness to the cynics, this is a trailer and it needs to look good. It's a bit like judging an anime by the opening [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionHoggingOpening].

That being said, I probably won't watch it for the same cynical reasons listed above. I like grittiness, struggling, and the look of force behind blows in my fight scenes as opposed to looking like a Capcom fighting game. To get what I mean, my favourite anime fight of all time is from Sword of the Stranger.

I also don't watch anime series anymore. Only movies.

However, I'm glad to see that a lot of people are excited about it. It is impressive given the limitations.

EDIT: I know something else it reminds me of entirely. Those stickman fighting gifs people like putting into forum sigs. Like this:

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
Waffle_Man said:
Personally, while I greatly respect what Monty Oum does, I don't think I've ever actually enjoyed anything he's done. It's too flashy to be exciting for me. When characters don't have to obey the laws of gravity, flips have no meaning. When werewolves can be killed with such ease, there is no difference between 2 or 200. When the character hardly looks like they're even trying in combat, I have no need to feel anxious or impressed. Hell, I can't even tell what's going on at the end of it. I will check it out so that it has the chance to impress me with some sort of compelling writing, but I'm not going to be upset or surprised if it's just another excuse for characters to go around and act "badass" in the most surface-oriented way possible.

With that said. I love the idea of Rooster Teeth (or any individual/small enterprise) making anything of substantial production value that isn't based on existing properties and I certainly hope it does well on principle.
I completely agree with everything you said. I've always been a Rooster Teeth fan, but lately I've been liking the actual Red vs. Blue less and less. It might be just me, but the series has gone from strictly dialog and story based, to excessive amounts of animation and action scenes. By the end of this season, I had almost forgotten what they were fighting about in the first place.

I respect the hell out of Monty and know his work ethic and creativity exceed most people, but he's just too flashy. There were a lot of times during the past RvB season that were cringe worthy in the ridiculous super hero fight scenes.

Also, maybe I'm being a misogynist, but why are the only complete bad-asses in that series, and it seems this new one as well, only girls? I get that they're progressive and showing girls are cool too or whatever, but it's crossed into making all the guys either inept, stupid, or sociopaths. It's made it harder to relate story wise, and I know it's wrong to admit, but their demographic is overwhelmingly male.

I love Rooster Teeth for what they do, it's just I'm starting to fall out of grace with their creative content.

tycho0042

Jan 27, 2010
Wow, glad to see monty oum doing animation still. last thing of his I saw was one of the dead fantasy animations he did a while back. Whelp, off to see what he's done since last I saw

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Someone told me that the music used in the trailer is available to download via Itune. Those who love the music, now is the chance to get it!

The link is within the above youtube page.

Also I notice at the end with the silhouette of the remaining three girls, it look like Black used a whip as her weapon.

alimination602

Apr 14, 2009
I would say that at present i am cautiously optimistic because as we all know from the ?Gamer Matrix? getting excited about something based on vague marketing can, like sleeping with a mob bosses daughter, prove to be a big mistake.

I think i was as surprised as everyone else when i discovered a series of videos created by some guys from Texas using a video game! And you have to remember that what we would now consider to be one of the pioneers of Machinima could have easily been snubbed out of existence before it began as Microsoft only gave them permission to make the series after the original trailer had already been released, had they said no it would have been Game Over for Halo Machinima.

We all know that Halo cannot go on indefinitely unless it is to turn into the new Final Fantasy, Sonic or Simpsons, series that were incredibly popular and whose early instalments shall likely be held in the hearts of many as part of our generations cultural highlights but who have since vastly outstayed their welcome.

Thus we have to look to new ideas and from what i have seen in the trailer i remain intrigued. I have always maintained that when the American and Japanese game industries finally get together they can produce some spectacular things (See Skies of Arcadia, Atelier, Vanquish and Valkyria Chronicles for examples) so it will be interesting to once again to see Japanese art style combined with western music and direction. We shall see.

The Last Parade

Apr 24, 2009
ZeoAssassin said:
cant wait to see the other 3 trailers....given what the last few seconds there..so lets see

R = red riding hood (with a gun-scythe)
W = snow White?
B = sleeping Beauty or maybe Beauty (of the beast? which i think is more likely now)?
Y = yeah I'm drawing a blank...anyone else know of a fairytale-esque female that has Y there?
I just got a Red, White, Black, Yellow vibe from it

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I'm looking forward to it. I'm an otaku (not to the levels of the negative stereotype in Japan) and the action scenes have been fantastic the past few seasons and from what I've seen in the trailer it's going to be even better.