RoosterTeeth has gone anime (new series called RWBY)

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
It looks really...really awesome, but I can't help but wonder how they are ever going to create tension or challenge this character at all. Without a doubt my favourite thing from that video is the gun-scythe, and using the recoil of firing to slice with the scythe was magnificent.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I always enjoy Monty Onum animation and choreography, even if it is over the top. As for the rest of it I like the overall art style though I don't care for the character design. I would bet we will get trailers with the rest of the silhouettes before too long so we will have to see.

If nothing else I like how Roosterteeth is expanding and trying new things. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Hey RoosterTeeth! Black★Rock Shooter called, they want their concept back!

Nah, I kid, Black★Rock Shooter royally fumbled it's great concept, this actually looks better.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
cant wait to see the other 3 trailers....given what the last few seconds there..so lets see

R = red riding hood (with a gun-scythe)
W = snow White?
B = sleeping Beauty or maybe Beauty (of the beast? which i think is more likely now)?
Y = yeah I'm drawing a blank...anyone else know of a fairytale-esque female that has Y there?

Silverback91

Oct 5, 2010
FireAza said:
Hey RoosterTeeth! Black★Rock Shooter called, they want their concept back!

Nah, I kid, Black★Rock Shooter royally fumbled it's great concept, this actually looks better.
I'm wondering how many people there have SEEN Black Rock Shooter... Anyway, I don't normally like Monty's style of combat. Its not really fun for me to watch one overpowered person blow through flunkies. If I was going to like that, though he would be my first pick. His stuff is unquestionably good when its 2 overpowered people fighting though. So looking forward to this.

Brixton6

Mar 30, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
So with the last episode of Red Vs Blue that was uploaded yesterday/ last night (which I think will be the end of that series forever well except for PSA related stuff)
They announced Season 11 on their podcast.

Yeah, RWBY looks pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see what happens with it.

On a side note, has anyone checked out The Gauntlet? It's something completely different for them, but I think Burnie works great as a game show judge.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
ZeoAssassin said:
cant wait to see the other 3 trailers....given what the last few seconds there..so lets see

R = red riding hood (with a gun-scythe)
W = snow White?
B = sleeping Beauty or maybe Beauty (of the beast? which i think is more likely now)?
Y = yeah I'm drawing a blank...anyone else know of a fairytale-esque female that has Y there?
I was thinking about that too, and having trouble with the B and the Y. I assumed they were colors, but I couldn't think of any fairy tale characters with Black and Yellow in them. That said, your idea makes sense.

I'm looking forward to it personally. Looks like it could be awesome.

Siegreich

Jun 24, 2008
Is it just me or does this character remind you guys of Margaret from No More Heroes 2 the weapons basically the same except she uses two of them.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Oh wow. I remember back when Monty Oum started, with that old Haloid video of Samus vs Master Chief, and then those Final Fantasy vs DOA videos he did.

Gotta admit, it looks like he's developed by leaps and bounds since then. Especially little things, like the facial expressions and animations in this one. Gonna have to keep an eye out now. The music and choreography oozes style and I will admit to having a fondness for ridiculous, transforming, hybrid weapons. :)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I have a gripe with the facial expressions. They look unconvincing, sort of a middle-path between indifferent and showing emotions which I don't really like in this instance. Otherwise, it looks badass.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Will watch.

Like, definitely will watch. As long as the whole series is going to be like that, then count me in.

Now just give me a moment to pick up my jaw off of the floor.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Something is wrong when I feel sorry for the monsters and no remorse for the plight of the protagonist... which just about every monster movie in existence fulfills.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
That trailer reminds me of Mabinogi, only a very kickass and cleaner-looking version.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
That art style. That's what really sold me on this. Man, those colours! And the character design's pretty good, too, judging by the trailer. It's a Monty Oum production, as well, so obviously the animation'll be great.

That leaves the writing and acting. If they're any good, I'll probably have a new favourite web series. If not, I'll be disappointed. This is what'll make or break the series. It's got so many good points already, but if the story's an incomprehensible mess, then it's all for naught. Even if the dialogue's good, it'll need a decent story to hold it together. However, without decent acting, the dialogue won't sell. If they get this wrong, it'll ruin the production.

I'm still REALLY looking forward to this, though. Even with the possibility of horrid writing and acting, I really don't think they'll screw it up. Rooster Teeth has a good reputation for high-quality productions, and even if it's more a Monty Oum production than a Rooster Teeth one, I don't think they'd host something they think might be bad.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Mooty Oron is one of the few animators that can make fight scenes beautiful.

I want more of this.

I want more of this NOW. D:<

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
AH HA! I got it...

Something about Oum's works in RvB had me thinking that something was off. Im just realizing from watching the trailer again, that there doesnt seem to be any weight. By this, I mean that the main character (and by extension other characters) seem to completely defy gravity and such, and that the poor bastards on the receiving end have little to no resistance to the attacks they receive. Its like everything is... IDK... made of tissue paper...

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
TimeLord said:
Easton Dark said:
That's a lot of rose petals in that animation.

I'm sure Ray will be a fan.

(I've never watched RvB)
Aha! A fellow Minecraft Let's Play fan?
Personally I have never watched RvB myself either. By the time I'd stumbled across it, it was 9 seasons in and I did not have the time to invest in it. But this looks pretty good so I'll keep an eye out for it.
Every non-"sports" episode, yeah. I almost never cheer for videos, but I cheered for Let's Play 23.

I remember doing a video project in 6th or 7th grade where I used an early episode of RvB to explain how capture the flag works. That's about my extent of exposure.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
GOT 'EM!

But seriously, watch some RvB. After a while I started to lose track of what was happening (an ever-expanding cast and multiple jumps through time will do that), but the first 5 seasons (100 episode of maybe 5-10 minutes each, which you can watch over the course of a couple weeks) are comedy gold.
I say "Fuckin' got 'em" daily now it seems.

And no thanks. I enjoy Achievement Hunter and the podcasts, but that's the extent of my Rooster Teeth exposure.

And that will probably remain true. This trailer didn't really interest me... sorry Monty.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I enjoyed the intro for a while, but grimaced soon enough.

Ultra tough/lethal anime girls are cliche. The gun/scythe was interesting, but the endless fight with its predictable route and ending was...predictable.

Is there anyone else here who felt that the fight just dragged on and that the girl's slaughtering werewolf after werewolf was practically...by the book? Routine?

Predictable?

Without a decent story I won't be interested. If I want mindless/pointless/endless anime fights I'll look up Dragonball Z.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
While I find Monty's choice of action a little... exhausting, there are times when I just have to hand it to the guy and say, "Okay THAT was cool." For instance, the Zero Gravity Fight between Carolina and York, the final show down when the crew goes up against the army of Tex robots, this was no different. I am interested to see where this series goes.