Roseanne cancelled

Kiall

New member
Dec 20, 2020
21
0
0
Country
United Kingdom
Avnger said:
Silentpony said:
Avnger said:
Hawki said:
altnameJag said:
Oh no, whatever you do, don't cancel Bill Maher. Leftists would hate* that.
Um, wouldn't they? Bill Maher is left leaning.
Maher is a child throwing handfuls of poop around the room. More of his rectal produce ends up on "the right" than "the left," but he's still just a shit-flinging kid at the end of the day.
What are you on about? Maher is famous for his left of center views and its only the super extreme far far FAR left that think he's even a little bit right.
The most right-wing thing Bill Maher ever did was have Milo on his show, and even then he called Milo a right-wing impish fag who shouldn't be taken seriously to Milo's face. though to be fair, both Milo and the audience applauded.
I was mostly referring to the bigoted bullshit he has a habit of saying recently in particular about Islam (example critique of those statements).
Having looked through that article I'm struggling to see any real issue with the (paraphrased) statements:

A) Islam is full of bad ideas.

B) While every religion is guilty of terrible excesses of violence and oppression Muslims are overwhelmingly behind such actions today.

Is it really bigoted to make two statements that are factually correct?
 

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
4,367
0
0
Baffle2 said:
British sitcoms are better. Probably not by much. But a bit.
I mean, by virtue of having fewer episodes alone they are better. Can you imagine if Little Britain had damn near 200 episodes?
 

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,600
288
88
Kiall said:
Having looked through that article I'm struggling to see any real issue with the (paraphrased) statements:

A) Islam is full of bad ideas.

B) While every religion is guilty of terrible excesses of violence and oppression Muslims are overwhelmingly behind such actions today.

Is it really bigoted to make two statements that are factually correct?
Well, I have little love for the dogma of Islam either, though, to be fair, I don't feel any better about any other large religion. Thing is, negativity directed towards muslims is, in the west, practically always an act of punching down and it's become such a popular past time that it's hard not to have some sympathy with muslims, even if you might find their religion disagreeable in many aspects. It's a hierarchical thing, you know.

You have those folks who, in the west, are mostly immigrants or descended from immigrants, hail from countries that are often dirt poor, unstable, repressive or all of those things and have decided to live in countries where, ever since 9/11, people have been pretty open about, at best, distrusting them and, at worst, viewing them as an enemy force that needs to be driven out of the country through violence. And then you get rich, popular media people like Maher using their massive platform to express their frustration about a mostly poor, mostly discriminated and mostly nonwhite (which carries some unfortunate implication all on its own) religious group in it seems like a very peculiar target to pick, the actual merit or lack thereof of their religion aside. There are quite a few groups who are much larger, much more powerful and much more deeply ingrained in western culture one could go after.

Maher considers himself a liberal, right? Shouldn't he use his platform to help level the playing field and take down those who are higher on societies pecking order rather than going after those who are pretty close to its bottom as it is? And doesn't that seem like a deliberate effort to keep them at that very bottom? Just a few things to consider.

I mean, he could instead go to, like, Saudia Arabia or The United Arabian Emirates, or Iran or, hell, even Turkey, places where those in power actually are Muslims, and be critical of Islam there. That'd actually make me respect him a bit more.
 

Baffle

Elite Member
Apr 6, 2020
1,932
829
118
BreakfastMan said:
I mean, by virtue of having fewer episodes alone they are better. Can you imagine if Little Britain had damn near 200 episodes?
For the most part they don't tend to drag on too long, though Little Britain isn't really a sitcom so much as a sketch show. I don't much like it myself.
 

Smithnikov_v1legacy

New member
May 7, 2016
1,020
1
0
If I were in that board room and had any kind of sway, I would have gone Franklin Cross on whoever pulled the trigger on this.


The network is getting something talked about again. It's somehow lured the alt right into slobbering over it just on account of a pro-Trump figurehead being attached. We're making fucking money off of this.

And just because our star which we're banking on being controversial and talked about is...being controversial and talked about, we're gonna go Jason Vorhees on our golden goose.

10 out of 10 for principles, guyz, but -100 for tactical thinking.
 

Smithnikov_v1legacy

New member
May 7, 2016
1,020
1
0
jademunky said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... ahem.

I feel bad for John Goodman on this one. He was always way too talented for that drek and I was a little disappointed in him that he agreed to go back to it. Hope they cut him a big paycheque.
Reminds me, I'm pretty sure Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman were REAL appreciative of her for this.
 

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
250
0
0
jademunky said:
Just Ebola said:
the leftist media threw a collective shit fit when they announced Time Allen's show was coming back.
So much so that I had no idea that it had existed for 6 seasons until this thread just now.
One person didn't know about it? Must not have happened then.

Shortly after I remember reading an article by a liberal, likening the show to an attack on safe spaces. I think it says a lot that even just having a counter-point to the mostly liberal media is seen as something profane. It was suspicious that the show got canned in the first place, considering the ratings were head and shoulders above most other sitcoms, almost as if Hollywood being 99% liberal had something to do with it.

Probably won't watch it, don't like modern sitcoms, but I'm glad it's coming back. New sitcoms are garbage compared to the stuff of the 80's and 90's. Frasier, the Fresh Prince, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Family Matters, that was the golden age of sitcoms. Now we have The Big Bang theory. The less said about that shit, the better.
 

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
1,715
823
118
Country
United States
Just Ebola said:
One person didn't know about it? Must not have happened then.

Shortly after I remember reading an article by a liberal, likening the show to an attack on safe spaces. I think it says a lot that even just having a counter-point to the mostly liberal media is seen as something profane.
One person likened the show to an attack? All liberals must think it's profane then. You could have at least put a sentence or 2 between these two points; it might have somewhat toned down the blatant hypocrisy if nothing else.

Just Ebola said:
It was suspicious that the show got canned in the first place, considering the ratings were head and shoulders above most other sitcoms, almost as if Hollywood being 99% liberal had something to do with it.
Oh hun... Are we really going full (((globalist))) conspiracy theory on this one?

The leading star (and namesake) of the show pulled the ultimate PR no-no in the form of announcing to the entire world that they're an ignorant, racist bigot. This is on top of the regular Infowars and "QAnon" conspiracies and hateful rhetoric she publicly advocates. Oh and there's also the fact that several of her co-stars and writers were quitting in response.

Maybe, just maybe, ABC decided that garnering goodwill with the public, its employees, and the actors, actresses, and other people they depend upon for their product was worth more in the long run than pandering to bigots? Crazy thought, right?

It's almost as if the precious alt-right is simply a loud minority instead of the silent majority they believe they are.
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,953
6
13
Just Ebola said:
jademunky said:
Just Ebola said:
the leftist media threw a collective shit fit when they announced Time Allen's show was coming back.
So much so that I had no idea that it had existed for 6 seasons until this thread just now.
One person didn't know about it? Must not have happened then.

Shortly after I remember reading an article by a liberal, likening the show to an attack on safe spaces. I think it says a lot that even just having a counter-point to the mostly liberal media is seen as something profane. It was suspicious that the show got canned in the first place, considering the ratings were head and shoulders above most other sitcoms, almost as if Hollywood being 99% liberal had something to do with it.
That's weird, I read a lot of this liberal medias amongst others and never come across any mention of this subject. It's literally the first I've ever heard of seen of it. Weird indeed. Got to be conspiracies again.
 

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
739
0
0
Avnger said:
Just Ebola said:
One person didn't know about it? Must not have happened then.

Shortly after I remember reading an article by a liberal, likening the show to an attack on safe spaces. I think it says a lot that even just having a counter-point to the mostly liberal media is seen as something profane.
One person likened the show to an attack? All liberals must think it's profane then. You could have at least put a sentence or 2 between these two points; it might have somewhat toned down the blatant hypocrisy if nothing else.

Just Ebola said:
It was suspicious that the show got canned in the first place, considering the ratings were head and shoulders above most other sitcoms, almost as if Hollywood being 99% liberal had something to do with it.
Oh hun... Are we really going full (((globalist))) conspiracy theory on this one?

The leading star (and namesake) of the show pulled the ultimate PR no-no in the form of announcing to the entire world that they're an ignorant, racist bigot. This is on top of the regular Infowars and "QAnon" conspiracies and hateful rhetoric she publicly advocates. Oh and there's also the fact that several of her co-stars and writers were quitting in response.

Maybe, just maybe, ABC decided that garnering goodwill with the public, its employees, and the actors, actresses, and other people they depend upon for their product was worth more in the long run than pandering to bigots? Crazy thought, right?

It's almost as if the precious alt-right is simply a loud minority instead of the silent majority they believe they are.
I think Just Ebola was referring to Tim Allen's show, which was cancelled but is coming back. Roseanne's show was set for renewal until her Shwitter-storm.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0
Avnger said:
Just Ebola said:
One person didn't know about it? Must not have happened then.

Shortly after I remember reading an article by a liberal, likening the show to an attack on safe spaces. I think it says a lot that even just having a counter-point to the mostly liberal media is seen as something profane.
One person likened the show to an attack? All liberals must think it's profane then. You could have at least put a sentence or 2 between these two points; it might have somewhat toned down the blatant hypocrisy if nothing else.

Just Ebola said:
It was suspicious that the show got canned in the first place, considering the ratings were head and shoulders above most other sitcoms, almost as if Hollywood being 99% liberal had something to do with it.
Oh hun... Are we really going full (((globalist))) conspiracy theory on this one?

The leading star (and namesake) of the show pulled the ultimate PR no-no in the form of announcing to the entire world that they're an ignorant, racist bigot. This is on top of the regular Infowars and "QAnon" conspiracies and hateful rhetoric she publicly advocates. Oh and there's also the fact that several of her co-stars and writers were quitting in response.

Maybe, just maybe, ABC decided that garnering goodwill with the public, its employees, and the actors, actresses, and other people they depend upon for their product was worth more in the long run than pandering to bigots? Crazy thought, right?

It's almost as if the precious alt-right is simply a loud minority instead of the silent majority they believe they are.
Exactly. From what I saw most of the cast and producers were set to quit in protest and rather than have the show be murdered by them, thus making ABC look to be on Roseanne's side, ABC and Disney decided it'd be easier to just axe the entire show while Roseanne was redhot, thus garnering 72hrs worth of positive news coverage.
 

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
250
0
0
Avnger said:
Just Ebola said:
One person didn't know about it? Must not have happened then.

Shortly after I remember reading an article by a liberal, likening the show to an attack on safe spaces. I think it says a lot that even just having a counter-point to the mostly liberal media is seen as something profane.
One person likened the show to an attack? All liberals must think it's profane then. You could have at least put a sentence or 2 between these two points; it might have somewhat toned down the blatant hypocrisy if nothing else.

Just Ebola said:
It was suspicious that the show got canned in the first place, considering the ratings were head and shoulders above most other sitcoms, almost as if Hollywood being 99% liberal had something to do with it.
Oh hun... Are we really going full (((globalist))) conspiracy theory on this one?

The leading star (and namesake) of the show pulled the ultimate PR no-no in the form of announcing to the entire world that they're an ignorant, racist bigot. This is on top of the regular Infowars and "QAnon" conspiracies and hateful rhetoric she publicly advocates. Oh and there's also the fact that several of her co-stars and writers were quitting in response.

Maybe, just maybe, ABC decided that garnering goodwill with the public, its employees, and the actors, actresses, and other people they depend upon for their product was worth more in the long run than pandering to bigots? Crazy thought, right?

It's almost as if the precious alt-right is simply a loud minority instead of the silent majority they believe they are.
Except there's a world of difference between some rando not hearing about something and a litany of leftist articles celebrating the cancellation and more recently, bemoaning the revival. Blantant hypocrisy seems a bit harsh.

Also, not really sure what you're on about, I was talking about the cancellation of Last Man Standing. As far as the "official reasons" CBS gave for the cancellation, licenses, contract negotiations etc, how do I put this politely? Bollocks. I guess it's pretty easy to put a tinfoil hat on me and hand-wave it away, but any reasonable person, on either side of the political spectrum should see something at least a bit weird about it. I don't watch the show, but something Tim Allen said really stuck with me, something about how there's nothing more dangerous than a likeable conservative to the liberals. Seems like it checks out in this case.

As far as Roseanne, like I said, can't bring myself to give a shit. Never found the actors or the characters they played interesting. If she shot her mouth off and got canned, fair play. Also, hun? Really? That always rubs me as extremely condescending. Every time someone calls me hun, I can't help but picture them trying to pinch my cheeks and force a tray of biscuits down my throat.
Xsjadoblayde said:
That's weird, I read a lot of this liberal medias amongst others and never come across any mention of this subject. It's literally the first I've ever heard of seen of it. Weird indeed. Got to be conspiracies again.
Must be the Mandela effect. Or Aliens.
COMaestro said:
I think Just Ebola was referring to Tim Allen's show, which was cancelled but is coming back. Roseanne's show was set for renewal until her Shwitter-storm.
Yep, this.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
The more I hear about this, the more I'm glad I never heard about Roseanne before. It all sounds like a big train wreck!
 

Baffle

Elite Member
Apr 6, 2020
1,932
829
118
CaitSeith said:
The more I hear about this, the more I'm glad I never heard about Roseanne before. It all sounds like a big train wreck!
I feel it would be disrespectful to refer to something as a little trainwreck.
 

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
739
0
0
Baffle2 said:
CaitSeith said:
The more I hear about this, the more I'm glad I never heard about Roseanne before. It all sounds like a big train wreck!
I feel it would be disrespectful to refer to something as a little trainwreck.
It all depends on the context:

 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0
CaitSeith said:
The more I hear about this, the more I'm glad I never heard about Roseanne before. It all sounds like a big train wreck!
I was a toddler for the original run, at least when it started, and from what I've gathered it was a hot mess from day 1. Roseanne loved firing people and screaming, she had to be the smartest and funniest person in the room, she had final say over everything, and in the final seasons when she took over as producer she started do what I can only guess are personal fantasy episodes, like Roseambo where Roseanna teams up with Stephen Seagal to save Hilary Clinton from some terrorists on a train. And it was considered 'good' television, without Crow T Robot, Tom Servo and Mike Nelson.
 

Baffle

Elite Member
Apr 6, 2020
1,932
829
118
Silentpony said:
she had to be the smartest and funniest person in the room
That must have been an extremely difficult pretense, even for the world-class actors that went on to star in the Big Bang Theory.
 
Jan 27, 2011
3,740
0
0
On the slightly off-topic-ish topic of sitcoms, literally the only two I ever found watchable were:

Everybody love Raymond (because on top of the comically loony characters, they'd throw in some interesting subversions here and there)

And Golden Girls. That show was brilliant. It's still brilliant to this day. I can't get enough Sicily Stories, St-Olaf stories, and Dorothy's biting sarcasm.

On the actual topic of Roseanne getting cancelled...Oh well. Her post was preeeetty bad, so I'm not surprised that the network just dropped her like a hot potato to save face.
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,370
0
0
aegix drakan said:
On the slightly off-topic-ish topic of sitcoms, literally the only two I ever found watchable were:

Everybody love Raymond (because on top of the comically loony characters, they'd throw in some interesting subversions here and there)

And Golden Girls. That show was brilliant. It's still brilliant to this day. I can't get enough Sicily Stories, St-Olaf stories, and Dorothy's biting sarcasm.

On the actual topic of Roseanne getting cancelled...Oh well. Her post was preeeetty bad, so I'm not surprised that the network just dropped her like a hot potato to save face.
Dear Lord is Golden Girls so good. I got my girlfriend into it along with 30 Rock.