RP Digest

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
RP Digest

Never checked out the RP forum? Take a peek at what you've been missing.

Read Full Article

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I still think the RP Digest should've been a monthly feature. It works well with the pacing of the boards.

Not that I'm in any RPs or anything, but I talk with the RP crowd often enough, plus I read along with some of them, like Aegis (no, not the Mass Effect one).

JourneyThroughHell said:
But, even if I want to join an RP, aren't they all already closed/started?
Join one when it starts, RPs open up and end all the time. They're not endless things, despite the length of some them. (this obviously excludes the Asylum one that's got a life of it's own outside of its own posters)
If you really don't like the RP you're committed to, you can always write your character out of the story somehow.

I still need to get into RPing myself, but every time I come across anything interesting, it's either closed and started already or it's private. Oh well, one of these days... *dramatically looks up to the sky*

Also congratulations to maddawg IAJI/Adam for making the post with DA and Sky with the SMT game. I feel like reading that DA now, honestly.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Thats what I am worried. Its showing lots of successful ones here, but, they are already in progress so really no chance in joining in mid-ship

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Sweet Jesus the Digest is back. Quick question is this going to be something you're selected for now, or as before where people send in their summaries. To those worried about ones that have started already, don't worry, new ones crop up all the time, not to mention drop outs in the RPs.

I remember in the old Digest about there being something about advertising new RPs as well, so perhaps they can start that part up again as well

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
Crap... I forgot to get my entries done in time. Fffffuuuuu-

Anyway,
Nevyrmoore said:
By any chance do said RPs also include P&P RPs like D&D? Or Paranoia?
No, this is about the forum RPs hosted on this website in the Forum Games & RP section of the forums.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well I'd like to try one out, but the thing is , do i need to spend a lot of time in the forums to do so? And also, my timezone (+2) might cause a bit of trouble , too. I mean, if most of the players are from The States, then won't i slow the game down a lot ? I don't actually know a lot about RPing in forums, the only RPing I've done is in games and in D&D 3.5. But my main question is : how much time will it take from my day? And how does RPing in forums even work, anyone care to post some sort of link, or write something useful?

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Lauren Admire said:
The occupants go about their daily lives, or at least attempt to.
"Attempt to" being the key word there.
I swear, sometimes I wonder if we should just scrap the "real life RP" part of the title, and just go crazy.
JourneyThroughHell said:
Wait for a new one to pop-up, or say to the GM of one that if a space comes open, can you fill it.
That's my advice.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Maaaaaayn, it sucks that I don't have any RP's that I can write up on anymore. But it's nice to see all those new GM's entering the fray.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Owlslayer said:
Well I'd like to try one out, but the thing is , do i need to spend a lot of time in the forums to do so? And also, my timezone (+2) might cause a bit of trouble , too. I mean, if most of the players are from The States, then won't i slow the game down a lot ? I don't actually know a lot about RPing in forums, the only RPing I've done is in games and in D&D 3.5. But my main question is : how much time will it take from my day? And how does RPing in forums even work, anyone care to post some sort of link, or write something useful?
It really depends on the speed of the RPs that you find yourself in. I was in Lambi's first FF RP and I couldn't keep up with one of that speed due to college and work. However in the RPs I'm in [such as Maddawg's Down Under RP] right now, a couple of posts a day is all you need to keep going.

As for helpful links I have three for you

wilsoncrazybed's RP Guidelines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.63498-Role-playing-thread-guidelines-UPDATE-27-August-2008]
Higurashi's Role Playing and You [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.116378-Escapist-role-playing-and-you]
My Own Walkthrough to Role Playing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.174743-The-Walkthrough-to-Role-Playing-Character-Creation-and-Posting-Habits#4928821]

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Holy shit, it's back from the grave. I must say, I'm surprised. Last time this was tried our digests somehow didn't get posted.

But I'll be optimistic, especially since it seems to be on a request basis.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I would join one, but they always seem closed down. I do my forum RPing at the order of the stick forums, sense there are a lot of them and there more organized, but none of my games have come together there and I would like to play with people here, I just haven't been able to.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Sparrow said:
Maaaaaayn, it sucks that I don't have any RP's that I can write up on anymore. But it's nice to see all those new GM's entering the fray.
Except for me of course. I'm the horse that just won't die!

I'm glad to see this up, and agree with others that it really should be a monthly article, it is just a shame gathering interest is difficult.

I might check out some of those RPs, bar my own. They seem very interesting.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I'm not sure I'd want to try an RP. I like to post based on how I'm feeling at the time, and getting fixed to a character with a set personality (even if I set it myself) might get a little limiting.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sporky111 said:
Holy shit, it's back from the grave. I must say, I'm surprised. Last time this was tried our digests somehow didn't get posted.

But I'll be optimistic, especially since it seems to be on a request basis.
One-time thing, gang. We simply don't have the time to chase people down for this every week. As for your digests not getting posted, I received exactly two last time this subject came up. The simple truth is that as much as people complain about the RP not running, too few people took the time to submit summaries. Even when we opened it up to advertisements, we got next to no response.

If the RP Digest doesn't run, it's because the RP community chooses not to participate. You send us summaries, we will be very, very happy to run the Digest, I promise you. But we can't run it for just one or two.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Mookie_Magnus said:
Crap... I forgot to get my entries done in time. Fffffuuuuu-

Anyway,
Nevyrmoore said:
By any chance do said RPs also include P&P RPs like D&D? Or Paranoia?
No, this is about the forum RPs hosted on this website in the Forum Games & RP section of the forums.

Yes, I realised that...what I meant was do the RPs on this forum also include P&P RP campaigns?

Alpha Centauri

Sep 7, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Mine is not

Jaredin said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Thats what I am worried. Its showing lots of successful ones here, but, they are already in progress so really no chance in joining in mid-ship
Mine is desinged to have people jump in mid ship.

Owlslayer said:
Mine is simple ever other day either at 9am EST or 3PM EST I post a mass update for all players, and they post thier response, I wanted so it could inclued all players.

Alpha Centauri

Sep 7, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Mine is not

Jaredin said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Mine is desinged to have people jump in mid ship.

Owlslayer said:
Mine is simple ever other day either at 9am EST or 3PM EST I post a mass update for all players, and they post thier response, I wanted so it could inclued all players.

Tharwen said:
I'm not sure I'd want to try an RP. I like to post based on how I'm feeling at the time, and getting fixed to a character with a set personality (even if I set it myself) might get a little limiting.
Try mine, is not a charater, but a nation you run, this way you dont have to adhear to a set peronality, one day you could be building homelss shelters, and the next declarieing war