RPG girl <3s FPS boy

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
natural20 said:
I'm a table-top and console RPG player... and my boyfriend is into PC FPS games. What are some good games we could play together and both enjoy?
Well, as some have said, Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead are enormously fun to play with someone you know, regardless of preferred genre. Borderlands is pretty fun for a while too, but gets rather bland and monotonous, whether you're into the RPG or FPS elements of it.

If I had to pick one game that would greatly appeal to both of you, it'd be APB (All Points Bulletin).

It's a free to play MMO slated for some time this summer/fall that mixes, essentially, the best of MMORPG games and 3rd/1st person GTA-esque shooters. It can't provide immediate satisfaction (as it's not out yet), but I'd bet good money it'll fit the bill for both of you when it comes out.

Oh, and welcome to the Escapist! Enjoy your stay.

MonkOfDoom

Nov 23, 2008
Mass Effect maybe...but thats not something you could technically play together...thats the only thing thats remotly close because the genres dont really mesh at all...

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
natural20 said:
I'm a table-top and console RPG player... and my boyfriend is into PC FPS games. What are some good games we could play together and both enjoy?
I am a guy but I gotta put it with way. You are always right, he is always wrong. You should both play what you decide. There are no compromises between FPS and RPG. One element is always far more dominant then the other and you can feel the difference.

Apr 28, 2008
Try Fable 2.

Thats a decently fun co-op game that anyone can play.

Also Team Fortress 2. It = amazing.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Scrabble.

I also recommend L4D2, it's just really fun to play in good company. Plus he'll save you alot, because you suck. ; )

barinelg

Apr 9, 2010
Fallen Earth may be one to try out, but it is an MMO-FPS-RPG (lots of letters...). Got average reviews on Metacritic, but haven't tried it myself.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Relatively few.

Games tend either lean too heavily to the FPS spectrum to be meaningful RPGs, or vice-versa. Although, I hear there is a multiplayer mod for Oblivion.
I think that one died...
Borderlands, Fallout 3. Or you could try a few FPS', he tries a few RPG's. I believe I saw someone mention RTS'.
Oblivion is a FPRPG certainly, I don't know if I'd call it a shooter. Try Ratchet Gladiator, it's an awesome game, some RPG elements like upgrading health, weapons, buying mods for them. Co-op, which is designed brilliantly. The whole game is awesome, try it. ou can play First Person, though I find Third Person much easier.

Sarahcidal

Jun 1, 2009
try team fortress 2... its just good fun..
also you could try Halo Wars.. it's neither but would give the illusion of both i suppose lol

Blackflame140

Apr 22, 2009
well, although its not really an fps kind of game Diablo 2 is really fun regardless, but something to keep an eye on would be Global Agenda its basicly in beta right now but its a mmo with third person shooting, not much to it right now but lets hope for expansions.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
ottenni said:
TheTaco007 said:
ottenni said:
You might enjoy Team Fortress 2, that has some RPG elements.
TF2 is a fantastic game, but how wtf are you talking about, RPG elements?
Well you can customize, sorta. Yeah good point there really isn't much. But its still a good game.
Customization =/= RPG
Plus, TF2 customization is very VERY minimal. You really only have 3 extra weapons to choose from for each class, and some of them you don't even have to think about: Ex: Ubersaw, Axtinguisher, Blutsaugher (can't spell that), etc.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
There is no game that could make you both happy. RPG's and FPS's cannot be merged properly. They're polar opposites; it would be like trying to make something that is both hot and cold.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
TheTaco007 said:
ottenni said:
TheTaco007 said:
ottenni said:
You might enjoy Team Fortress 2, that has some RPG elements.
TF2 is a fantastic game, but how wtf are you talking about, RPG elements?
Well you can customize, sorta. Yeah good point there really isn't much. But its still a good game.
Customization =/= RPG
Plus, TF2 customization is very VERY minimal. You really only have 3 extra weapons to choose from for each class, and some of them you don't even have to think about: Ex: Ubersaw, Axtinguisher, Blutsaugher (can't spell that), etc.
Yeah you have me there, honestly i was just mesmerized by hats....

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Wizzie said:
Shadowrun?
No.... just no...
That is the worst idea that anybody could possibly come up with.
I only paid $15 for it and I still felt ripped off.
If you don't want to pay for live, the game is literally useless, and the game itself is nothing special.

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
Borderlands or Maybe Fallout 3, id go with Fallout 3 more though

KurtzGallahad

Oct 8, 2009
I hope you to stay together, the genres need some interbreeding, I suggest that rather than looking for middle ground you each introduce eachother kindly and slowly into your genre