RPGs Just Got Nerdier With This eDice-Rolling Bracer

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
RPGs Just Got Nerdier With This eDice-Rolling Bracer

It's tough to stand out as the nerdiest person at the local D&D game, but this new accessory could easily help you win this position.

When it comes to Dungeons & Dragons accessories, there are some great ones out there. There are things like groovy miniature figures, dice bags, and <a href=http://www.etsy.com/listing/85449791/dd-beholder-wool-catnip-toy>that Beholder catnip toy, but this new DIY project may very well take the title of "Most Epic Piece of Nerdery": A bracer that will roll virtual dice with a shake of your arm.

The bracer is designed to be made from leather, lined with fur, and it can roll eDice (I'm trademarking this term, I swear) of the 100, 20, 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4-sided varieties. All you have to do is flip an small switch to determine which type you want to roll and shake your arm. The result appears on the bracer's display.

Setting this sucker up is a lot easier than you might expect. All you need to make it work are the following:

? Conductive Thread
? LilyPad Arduino 328 Main Board
? LilyPad Accelerometer ADXL335
? LilyPad Slide Switch
? 7-Segment Serial Display
? Lipo Charger basic
? Polymer lithium Ion Battery

My crafting skills are limited to what I can assemble with duct tape, staples, and Krazy Glue. Thankfully, Sparkfun has even the most basic of crafter covered, thanks to its detailed instructions (with photos) that will walk you through every step you need to do follow in order to craft your own bracer and get +5 to your Nerd Appeal.

Source: The Mary Sue via <a href=http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/02/all_hail_the_greatest_dd_accessory_of_all_time.php>Topless Robot

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
I want it more than bacon brownies. I want it a hundred times more than bacon brownies.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
vansau said:
<a href=http://www.etsy.com/listing/85449791/dd-beholder-wool-catnip-toy>
[HEADING=1]WANT[/HEADING]

vansau said:
that will walk you through every step you need to do follow in order to craft your own bracer and get +5 to your Nerd Appeal.
Also, props. +5 is usually pretty expensive for a stat. [/nerdy mcnerd nerd]

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
What the hell? I literally thought yesterday that it was weird this hadn't been invented? Good timing.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Sorry, it sounded like you said "nerdiest" when you clearly meant COOL-IEST!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I am reminded simultaneously of the nerd classic movie "Dungeon Master" and Nintendo's failed "Power Glove" experiment (which I oddly feel is the spiritual predessecer to current gadgets like the Wii, Kinect, and Move).

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I dunno, it does look rahter fancy, i have to agree, but i doubt if it`s as useful as it seems. Somehow, throwing the actual dice seems to be more rewarding than just flipping a switch on your wrist and shaking your arm. Tho it does sound really cool... But since i haven`t actually tried this out, i won`t pass judgement.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I want to see something that launches real dice. maybe a spring loaded bracer. I'd pay money for something like that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Harmondale2 said:
What the hell? I literally thought yesterday that it was weird this hadn't been invented? Good timing.
It's synchronicity. It'll happen more the closer we get to the end of the world.

...I need to stop reading Mercury Falls.

Love this idea. Do want.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
This is good for me because I always felt too nerdy using the dice rolling application on my graphing calculator.

Now I can look cool...