RPGs: Useless companions

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Simple question; are there any companion characters in your favourite RPGs you don't use often/ever? And what are your reasons?

I have a couple;
T3-M4 in KOTOR - After he sliced the door at the Sith base, I never used him again. Mission Vao was usually in a similar position after rescuing Bastila, although on some playthroughs I used her a lot more than others. T3's remit doesn't really extend that far beyond skills and I found in the first KOTOR, skills weren't really that important; he was a lot more valuable in the second game.

Rex in Fallout: New Vegas - I hate the fact he just runs off to try and kill a couple of deathclaws miles away all the time; of course then said deathclaws come and attack me! E-DE does the same, but not as regularly and has a more useful perk.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
I almost never use Cid in FF7. By the time I get to where he's available, Tifa's a wrecking machine and Cait Sith is a sponge. I'd replace Cloud if I could, and put Vincent, but eh...

Pretty much every Final Fantasy has at least one person I don't use.

FF1: Thief. Doesn't seem a viable choice in a party of Fighter, Fighter, Black Mage, White Mage
FF2: Been a while since I played last, can't recall...
FF3: As above.
FF4: Never bother with Edge, unless I have to.
FF5: Class-wise, the Ninja. Not sure why...
FF6: Strago. The blue magic system isn't great. On a similar note, Gau.
FF7: The aforementioned Cid.
FF8: Rinoa. The whole love story always felt a little shoehorned, and she's the target.
FF9: Quina, because of blue magic, and Eiko because she annoys me.
FF10: Wakka. So you're good against flying types? Big whoop.
FF11: All of them, because it shouldn't be counted in the numbered games.
FF12: Penelo. When everyone can learn everything (eventually) she seems pointless.
FF13: Hope. He annoys me so.
FF Tactics: Any special characters. I trained my units, dammit, and I'm going to use them!

Hmm... in KotOR I don't use Juhani or Jolee. One Force user is enough, thanks!

Basically, I could go on... :p

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Antitonic said:
I almost never use Cid in FF7. By the time I get to where he's available, Tifa's a wrecking machine and Cait Sith is a sponge. I'd replace Cloud if I could, and put Vincent, but eh...

FF1: Thief. Doesn't seem a viable choice in a party of Fighter, Fighter, Black Mage, White Mage
FF2: Been a while since I played last, can't recall...
FF3: As above.
FF4: Never bother with Edge, unless I have to.
FF5: Class-wise, the Ninja. Not sure why...
FF6: Strago. The blue magic system isn't great. On a similar note, Gau.
FF7: The aforementioned Cid.
FF8: Rinoa. The whole love story always felt a little shoehorned, and she's the target.
FF9: Quina, because of blue magic, and Eiko because she annoys me.
FF10: Wakka. So you're good against flying types? Big whoop.
FF11: All of them, because it shouldn't be counted in the numbered games.
FF12: Penelo. When everyone can learn everything (eventually) she seems pointless.
FF13: Hope. He annoys me so.
FF Tactics: Any special characters. I trained my units, dammit, and I'm going to use them!

Hmm... in KotOR I don't use Juhani or Jolee. One Force user is enough, thanks!

Basically, I could go on... :p
In FFX you're missing out the wonderful Rikku. What's that; you're hideously weak and have no offensive skills? Ok, back to the pile you go!

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
That freakish pink animal thing in Xenogears. The game tries so hard to be serious all the time, but do they realize the main character is followed by a freakish girly carebear / muppet thing?!

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Antitonic said:
*list snipped*

Hmm, you really don't like blue magic, do you? It was implemented really, really well in FF5 and never quite as well since, so I have to say I'm pretty much the same way. Quina is overpowered though, not underpowered - level her blue magic and she's pretty much a gamebreaker.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
RuralGamer said:
Simple question; are there any companion characters in your favourite RPGs you don't use often/ever? And what are your reasons?

I have a couple;
T3-M4 in KOTOR - After he sliced the door at the Sith base, I never used him again. Mission Vao was usually in a similar position after rescuing Bastila, although on some playthroughs I used her a lot more than others. T3's remit doesn't really extend that far beyond skills and I found in the first KOTOR, skills weren't really that important; he was a lot more valuable in the second game.

Rex in Fallout: New Vegas - I hate the fact he just runs off to try and kill a couple of deathclaws miles away all the time; of course then said deathclaws come and attack me! E-DE does the same, but not as regularly and has a more useful perk.
Mission and T3 I can understand. Mission has a ton of skills, but skills (other than persuasion and, at times, computer use) aren't nearly as useful as they are in KotOR 2. T3 has the same issue, but also doesn't interact with the party like others do. He's also overshadowed by a certain other droid party member. Mission and T3 can both be surprisingly good in combat, though. Mission is actually specced correctly for a ranged character once you get her (unlike Canderous). Her vitality is never great, though.

However, Rex is awesome. I take him over ED-E. He knocks down just about everyone (especially if you give him the right brain), is very fast, and does a good bit of damage. My A team is Cass and Rex.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
While not technically an RPG it is described as one, Mass Effect 2's Jack has to be one of the most useless characters ever. In a possible case of worst false adverting ever, Jack is described as being one of the most dangerous and most powerful biotic in the galaxy. And when you first meet her, it seems that way as she has single handedly almost destroyed half the prison complex where she is being held. However, once she joins you cheery cast of misfits...well...my cat is a more powerful biotic. Her only use is to make the biotic shield during the suicide mission and thats it. Ever get the feeling you've been conned?

Also because I'm currently playing through them, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn character, Astrid. When you first meet her you think, "Yay, Paladin archer, how useful is she going to be". In truth, not in the slightest bit, she will miss almost all her attacks, those attacks that hit are pathetic and she will die if she goes up against anything stronger than a slight breeze. She is not worth the time and energy it takes to put her in your team as if you end up using her, you will just be embarassing yourself.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Catfood220 said:
While not technically an RPG it is described as one, Mass Effect 2's Jack has to be one of the most useless characters ever. In a possible case of worst false adverting ever, Jack is described as being one of the most dangerous and most powerful biotic in the galaxy. And when you first meet her, it seems that way as she has single handedly almost destroyed half the prison complex where she is being held. However, once she joins you cheery cast of misfits...well...my cat is a more powerful biotic. Her only use is to make the biotic shield during the suicide mission and thats it. Ever get the feeling you've been conned?
Haha truth. I have no idea why the devs thought the shockwave power was remotely useful for anything in that game. At least she has pull?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Final fantasy 8 Rinoa . I absolutely hated her character and as punishment i never EVER used her in any playthrough ( and i have played through that game quite a bit ).

In final fantasy tactics , the original psone version , i never used unique charactera because i put a lot of time and effort training my soldiers, and the calculator kicks so much ass .

In final fantasy 7 i never used cait sith , mostly because i have no idea how to pronounce his name , and don't want to have to talk about him and sound like a retard ( i pronounce it kate scythe )

Final fantasy 9 never used , eiko , quinoa and steiner. Mostly because eikos summon suck ( next to garnets ) , quinoa is a hassle to use , and steiner is a dick . But steiner eventually gets to date beatrix and shes so hot i'm so jelouse. Honestly if i could find a girl IRL that looks like beatrix i'd be all over her.

In FF10 i never used kimarhi or wakka , two annoying characters that i prefer to avoid. I did have trouble in that fight where i HAD to use him because of this.

In final fantasy 13 i never used snow, his name makes me laugh and hes a douchebag macho wannabe, plus his initial class sucks.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Dragon Age - Sten, Oghren
Baldur's Gate 2 - Cernd, Haer'Dalis, Nalia
Mass Effect - Kaidan
Mass Effect 2 - Jack, Jacob
Planescape: Torment - Nordom
Jade Empire - Everyone
Diablo 2 - Ironwolves
Fallout 1 - Everyone
Fallout 2 - Myron, all the dogs, Miria/Davin
Fallout 3 - Everyone except Fawkes
KotOR - Everyone who isn't a Jedi
KotOR 2 - Everyone who isn't a Jedi/Sith

A Winner Is You

Dec 21, 2011
Jandau said:
Mass Effect - Kaidan
Jade Empire - Everyone
Diablo 2 - Ironwolves
Fallout 1 - Everyone
Well, I have to respectfully disagree with a few of your choices there. Sten can be a pretty mean fighter in DA:O if you outfit him well and focus on his two handed skills (granted, his personality is lame, but at least he's not whining like a baby and cracking bad jokes all the time like Alistair).

Cernd. Again, don't care for the character's personality much, but anybody who says he's useless probably hasn't played with him in their party all that much. Once Cernd learns the greater werewolf shapeshift ability he turns into an absolute BEAST (literally and figuratively). Perfect for meleeing the heck out of hordes of enemies. And his enhanced strength in greater werewolf form makes him the best pack mule you could possibly ask for.

Only the Jedi/Sith in Kotor 2? I got two words for ya: Wookie Rage. Hanharr is a mainstay in my party if I'm playing as a Sith.

And then there's Jack. I don't know, maybe her biotic powers aren't all they're cut out to be, but her badassery makes her my favorite NPC in the ME games so far. Maybe I just dig gals with tattoos...

Did anyone ever play the SNES version of Shadowrun? The NPC's you could hire on as followers were absolutely shocking in their ineptitude.

Also, I thought Coran and Skie were pretty worthless in the first Baldur's Gate.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
A Winner Is You said:
Jandau said:
Mass Effect - Kaidan
Jade Empire - Everyone
Diablo 2 - Ironwolves
Fallout 1 - Everyone
Well, I have to respectfully disagree with a few of your choices there. Sten can be a pretty mean fighter in DA:O if you outfit him well and focus on his two handed skills (granted, his personality is lame, but at least he's not whining like a baby and cracking bad jokes all the time like Alistair).

Cernd. Again, don't care for the character's personality much, but anybody who says he's useless probably hasn't played with him in their party all that much. Once Cernd learns the greater werewolf shapeshift ability he turns into an absolute BEAST (literally and figuratively). Perfect for meleeing the heck out of hordes of enemies. And his enhanced strength in greater werewolf form makes him the best pack mule you could possibly ask for.

Only the Jedi/Sith in Kotor 2? I got two words for ya: Wookie Rage. Hanharr is a mainstay in my party if I'm playing as a Sith.

And then there's Jack. I don't know, maybe her biotic powers aren't all they're cut out to be, but her badassery makes her my favorite NPC in the ME games so far. Maybe I just dig gals with tattoos...

Did anyone ever play the SNES version of Shadowrun? The NPC's you could hire on as followers were absolutely shocking in their ineptitude.

Also, I thought Coran and Skie were pretty worthless in the first Baldur's Gate.
Sten's crap simply because Mages > Everything in DA:O. Bring a rogue for the traps, a tank, a healer and then a damage mage. Granted, you don't HAVE to do that, but whenever I brought Oghren or Sten, they felt like a waste of space. At least when I played a 2H Warrior myself, I got all the free stats ans whatnot that made me decent.

Cernd's decent up until you start getting good items on your other frontline fighters, while his Werewolf form stays the same. He gets badly outclassed in melee by pretty much any dedicated combat class.

Hanharr only applies to Darkside players, doesn't he. And I still maintain that the Jedi party members are better simply due to Force abilities. I used the other companions for the flavor, but when I needed shit done, it was 3 Jedi all the way in both Kotor 1 and 2.

Jack's an annoying *****. And she sucks in combat. And her clothes are stupid.

Agreed about Coran and Skie, and I'd like to add that bard fellow you can pick up early on as well (can't remember his name)

A Winner Is You

Dec 21, 2011
Jandau said:
Sten's crap simply because Mages > Everything in DA:O. Bring a rogue for the traps, a tank, a healer and then a damage mage. Granted, you don't HAVE to do that, but whenever I brought Oghren or Sten, they felt like a waste of space. At least when I played a 2H Warrior myself, I got all the free stats ans whatnot that made me decent.
Obviously he's not going to be worth much if you're already a 2H fighter.

Jandau said:
Jack's an annoying *****. And she sucks in combat. And her clothes are stupid.
That's pretty much how I feel about Miranda.

Jandau said:
Agreed about Coran and Skie, and I'd like to add that bard fellow you can pick up early on as well (can't remember his name)
Garrick.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
Isaac, Garet, Ivan and Mia in Golden Sun: Lost Age because by the time they join, Felix and the gang are already overpowered. For that same reason, Amiti, Sveta, Eoleo and Himi in Dark Dawn.

I always get used to the first 4 and never want to use the others XD

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
RuralGamer said:

I have a couple;

I used the feel that way about T3 until I did my solo-Sith playthrough.Since you are kind of boned skill-wise if you solo the game I decided since T3 is useless in combat that it was acceptable to bring him along on my "solo" playthrough without making me feel like a cheater. He only really helped in one fight (so I guess I cheated once), but his breadth of skills is unmatched. He can do everything for you! The game is easy enough combat-wise as any class, so there is no reason to think T3 wastes a spot in the squad especially if the other two are pure combat characters.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I use every companion in Fallout. They are all useless and die before the end but they do soak up the bad guy's shots. Ian really annoys me, he shoots me in the back all the time.

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
Zeckt said:
That freakish pink animal thing in Xenogears. The game tries so hard to be serious all the time, but do they realize the main character is followed by a freakish girly carebear / muppet thing?!
Yeah, Chu-chu is kind of ridiculous, but I found it quite useful actually, especially when it grows to gear size - it has a healing spell that works on gears (and is strong enough when Chu-chu enlarges to make it worth using), and it doesn't have to worry about fuel; it comes in especially handy at the last boss when fighting the pillar of Deus that spams AoE fuel drains and uses high-damage attacks.

Anyway, back on topic:

Final Fantasy: I don't use Black Mages - spell damage doesn't scale as well as weapon damage, and their weapon damage is pitiful because of low STR, low Hit, and poor weapon selection. In the middle of the game, when their offensive spells are actually useful, Red Mages have access to those spells, and in the end-game, they're only really useful for their buffs, which are available to red mages AND ninja.

Final Fantasy 2: Not that they give you any choice in the matter, but several of the "fourth-slot" characters are lackluster.

Final Fantasy 4: Again, at least on the SNES version, you have no real say as to who's in your party. Nevertheless, I don't like having to use Edward. Tellah's kind of meh the second time he joins up, as well.

Final Fantasy 6: I don't use Gau very much, because I don't feel like investing the time farming to good rages - even if he is incredibly exploitable if you put in the effort. Relm gets skipped because of low weapon damage potential, and because I first played the SNES version, wherein here signature command, which was already not very useful, had a tendency to glitch the game. Umaro gets passed over because I have no desire for an uncontrolled character.

Final Fantasy 7: Cait Sith gets benched because I don't like the character design and I don't care for his limit breaks, and those are the only real reasons to pick one character over another. Yuffie suffers a similar fate.

Dragon Warrior 3: I never use Goof-Offs/Jesters because to me, turning one into Sage without needing a Book of Satori is simply not worth putting up with it for 20 levels first. And I skip merchants because I don't particularly care about increased item and gold drops.

Final Fantasy Tactics: I don't use monsters. Period. They simply lack the versatility that I want in my characters, even if they DO compensate with absolutely ridiculous damage output growth. I ignore Cloud as well, because it takes too much work to make him viable, and even then he still can't compete with most other special characters.

Chrono Cross: Between characters with ridiculous character designs, characters with poor element grid growth, and characters who are clearly jokes, I bench probably 3/4 of the game's cast.

Paladin's Quest, Lennus 2: Both games have large numbers of companion characters, but they're all basically mercenaries who you explicitly hire to join your party. Because there are so many, I can't recall which ones I skipped - though I can say that everyone I skipped was because they were inferior, either in gear selection or spell list, than the ones already in my party.

Mass Effect: I like my parties to have a balance between tech, biotic, and combat abilities, so different characters get benched depending on my class - for example, my soldier completely ignored Ashley (and let her die, in fact).

Mass Effect 2: Legion doesn't get used a lot, because I tend to postpone the derelict reaper mission as long as possible, so I usually only have him available for two missions.