RPGs

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Recently my PC's PSU has been on the fritz making it impossible to use it for any power hungry programs and as largely a PC gamer this means I'm stuck with little to do (other than chat with you fine folks, obviously). In lieu of my PC games I've decided to get a final fantasy-esque RPG for either the 360 or PS3 since those game seem to last a while, but I'm at a loss for what to buy since I don't follow console gaming all that much.

So what final fantasy style RPG games for consoles do you recommend? I heard mixed things about Blue Dragon, but I'd prefer a western RPG. Do final fantasy style RPGs exist or are the only RPGs these days games like Oblivion and Fallout? I'm specifically looking for something like final fantasy.

Steve B

Oct 31, 2010
I'm sorry for not giving a detailed reply, but I'm about to leave my house. For now, here's a list of games off the top of my head. If anything, it'll help you find information on your own, or others can chime in about them. Also, let me know, and maybe in a few hours I can give more details about them when I get back.

~The Last Remnant (Xbox 360)
I'd recommend this out of any of them. It's amazing. There are a few downsides to know before you buy (like the lag that everyone flipped a shit over, but it can be eliminated by downloading the game to your hard drive), again, hopefully I'll write later.
OH AND THE CUT SCENES OH MY GOD.

~Infinite Undiscovery (Xbox 360)

~Final Fantasy 13 (PS3/360)
Really really great. Another game people had problems with, like it's more linear game play and what not, but crazy awesome.

~Tales of Vesperia (PS3/360)

Shoot, I had less time than I thought. Ask and I'll write more later. Hope this helps.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Chrono Trigger DS.
It sucks you in like a shopvac. Trust me. I started playing around six o'clock, and it's nine now. It also has multiple endings to ensure at least a few more playthroughs. Keep in mind this is from someone who'd never played Chrono Trigger before.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Step 1) Get DS

Step 2) Get Golden Sun

Step 3) Smiley face.
I really enjoy the Golden Sun series.

Steve B said:
Thanks for the titles, I'll look into them.

Tales actually looks pretty great, I'll see if my local game store has any copies tomorrow morning.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
you could just join gog.com they have lots of old school pc rpg games and if your computer can stand being on then it can run any of those

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Steve B said:
I'm sorry for not giving a detailed reply, but I'm about to leave my house. For now, here's a list of games off the top of my head. If anything, it'll help you find information on your own, or others can chime in about them. Also, let me know, and maybe in a few hours I can give more details about them when I get back.

~The Last Remnant (Xbox 360)
I'd recommend this out of any of them. It's amazing. There are a few downsides to know before you buy (like the lag that everyone flipped a shit over, but it can be eliminated by downloading the game to your hard drive), again, hopefully I'll write later.
OH AND THE CUT SCENES OH MY GOD.

~Infinite Undiscovery (Xbox 360)

~Final Fantasy 13 (PS3/360)
Really really great. Another game people had problems with, like it's more linear game play and what not, but crazy awesome.

~Tales of Vesperia (PS3/360)

Shoot, I had less time than I thought. Ask and I'll write more later. Hope this helps.
Those. Also to add.

Enchanted Arms (PS3/360)
The characters can be a bit annoying and cliched, however the story isn't too bad. Random encounters are fairly frequent(Apparently improved in the PS3 version?) however I quite enjoyed the grid based battle system, required you to be tactical in where you place your characters or golems. Also you can collect golems to use in battle, meaning you have tonnes of selection of who to use.

Lost Odyssey (360)
Big recommendation, amazing characters and an amazing story. Very old school final fantasy with random battles and turn based combat.

Star Ocean The last Hope (360/PS3, PS3 version has extra content)
Few of the characters and their voices get a bit annoying but other than that it's a solid RPG with a good battle system.

Stuntkid

Cyberdemon
Oct 6, 2010
Meh, 360 and PS3 games arent the only games that last a while. There are good 60+ hr. final fantasy-esque rpgs for older consoles as well, like Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast or Gamecube. You can also go for Golden Sun or the paper-mario series. I know that there are good games in that criteria for PS3 or 360, but these games are a lot more cheap, and you can get more bang for your buck

Also, if you're looking for good final fantasy-esque rpg that you can play on ANY computer you can try other people's RPG Maker projects. I got into them recently, and some of them are amazing.

Some good ones are:

-"The Way" Series (My personal Favorite)

-A Blurred Line (Everyone else's personal favorite)

- SOE:Wings of Time-Deluxe (This game is massive)(downloadable on the creater's Youtube Account. Search by name.)

-Blue Paradise (even though this is a tiny game the tropical, 8-bit atmosphere is beautiful)

- "Onyx" Series(Even though it is glitchy at times, the brilliant writing and characters make up for it tenfold)

-RETSU ARASHI: PSYCHIC STORM (Even though this game is very hard to find it is an awsome martial arts-based rpg game)(Seriously, I don't know how I found it. You have to hunt this one down.)

-and many more.

The rest of these games can be downloaded at RPGRPG Revolution or rpgmaker.net, they cause not damage or slowdown on your computer, and it's free of charge.

I don't have a 360 or a PS3, but if I want a RPG fix, I do these things.

Edit: Oh, and the answers above are good valid ones, too.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Here's a thing. I ahve recently downloaded Morrowind after everyone banged on about how good it was. I can't play for more than 20 mins. I don't get it. What am I missing? There is no instant gratification at all

blubbyblubbyblub

Feb 19, 2008
Verlander said:
Here's a thing. I ahve recently downloaded Morrowind after everyone banged on about how good it was. I can't play for more than 20 mins. I don't get it. What am I missing? There is no instant gratification at all
That's a part of it's charm, when you advance a couple of levels and look at what you've become, you will feel extreme proudness for getting that far, tis' a long game indeed

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
yron33 said:
Verlander said:
That's a part of it's charm, when you advance a couple of levels and look at what you've become, you will feel extreme proudness for getting that far, tis' a long game indeed
Damn my impatience!

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
RPGs... Well, most of my 'stock list of games to recommend people' are RPGs so this might sound familiar to some.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicks Obscura.
Baldur's Gate
Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. (if your PSU can take it)
Deus Ex.
Planescape: Torment.
KOTOR, (if your PSU can handle it without shutting down.)
Fallout
Shining Force 2 (an old megadrive game, total classic)
Chrono Trigger (an old SNES game, total classic)

That should keep you covered.

EDIT: yes, these are PC games and I know the PSU is the issue, but if you can run an internet browser you ought to be able to run most of these, except the ones I marked.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Verlander said:
I loved Morrowind, it's expansiveness (especially character dialogue, which the transition to spoken dialogue utterly decimated in Oblivion and with it any sense of immersion) made the game feel very full back when it came out. These days, however, it's probably rather out of date, especially the combat. When the next TES comes out they desperately need to take a cue from Morrowind, even if it means cutting things like spoken dialogue.

Zekksta said:
Have you tried the Fable games?

They won't blow you away or anything, but the gameplay is fun.

Oblivion isn't bad either.
Yup, finished them all with everything done. They're brilliant games, but I'm looking for something lengthier which is the main reason I'm going for traditional RPGs. Fable three was quite a bit longer than the others, and the scenery was perfect, but it still clocked less than three days play for total completion. From what I'm reading, Tales of Vesperia clocks around 60 hours for the main story alone.

Serenegoose said:
RPGs... Well, most of my 'stock list of games to recommend people' are RPGs so this might sound familiar to some.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicks Obscura.
Baldur's Gate
Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. (if your PSU can take it)
Deus Ex.
Planescape: Torment.
KOTOR, (if your PSU can handle it without shutting down.)
Fallout
Shining Force 2 (an old megadrive game, total classic)
Chrono Trigger (an old SNES game, total classic)

That should keep you covered.

EDIT: yes, these are PC games and I know the PSU is the issue, but if you can run an internet browser you ought to be able to run most of these, except the ones I marked.
Thank you for that list, I'm happy to entertain the idea of low-end PC games, but the PC can't even handle the battles in Medieval 2: Total War (admittedly with everything maxed out they still look quite nice and that'll put a big power strain on the beastly power-consuming 9800 gtx ocx).

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
BGH122 said:
Verlander said:
I loved Morrowind, it's expansiveness (especially character dialogue, which the transition to spoken dialogue utterly decimated in Oblivion and with it any sense of immersion) made the game feel very full back when it came out. These days, however, it's probably rather out of date, especially the combat. When the next TES comes out they desperately need to take a cue from Morrowind, even if it means cutting things like spoken dialogue.
Maybe hat's what got me, I've become so used to modern games, that the dialogue has engulfed me. I'm not giving up yet though!

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
BGH122 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Step 1) Get DS

Step 2) Get Golden Sun

Step 3) Smiley face.
I really enjoy the Golden Sun series.

Steve B said:
Thanks for the titles, I'll look into them.

Tales actually looks pretty great, I'll see if my local game store has any copies tomorrow morning.
Flying-Emu said:
Step 1) Get DS

Step 2) Get Golden Sun

Step 3) Smiley face.

I agree. Or Golden Sun 2.

Golden Sun 3 is coming out before the holiday season as well. You can see how ecstatic I am.