Ruby Rose shares details on her departure from Batwoman and problems on set.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Former Batwoman star Ruby Rose opened up about the horrific working conditions she faced on the CW Arrowverse series, which she exited after one season.

"Enough is enough," Rose wrote on Instagram, calling out showrunner Caroline Dries and Bertalnti Proudctions' Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. "I'm going to tell the whole world what really happened on that set. [Former Warner Bros. Television Group Chairman] Peter Roth, you are first up. You are chapter one. not sure if you left after getting promoted to the highest position because you couldn't stop making young women steam your pants, around your crotch while you were still wearing said pants or if you left after putting a private investigator on me who you fired as soon as the report didn't fit your narrative. either way, when it comes to you, there's already an army waiting for u."
Rose went on to share videos from a doctor's office pertaining to the neck injury she suffered while filming Batwoman, which was previously documented to some degree. She also pointed out a major rib injury and a tumor, and shared a video from her neck surgery, writing, "To everyone who said I was too stiff on bawoman, imagine going back to work 10 days after this ... 10 DAYS!!!!!! (or the whole crew and cast would be fired and I'd let everyone down because Peter Roth said he wouldn't recast and i just lost the studio millions (by getting injured on his set) that is be the one who cost so many people their jobs."
Next up, Rose shared a video of a message she delivered to announce she wouldn't be at Comic-Con International: San Diego in 2019. "Imagine having to take a pay cut to play a passion project and being so excited about Comic-Con and then being told they would not adjust the schedule so I could attend... but then saying 'we won't announce it, you have to,'" she wrote.
"So in closing, please to my dear, dear fans stop asking if I will return to that awful show, I wouldn't return for any amount of money nor if a gun were to my head.. NOR DID I QUIT," Rose continued. "I DO NOT QUIT, They ruined Kate Kane and they destroyed batwoman, not me. I followed orders, and if I wanted to stay i was going to have to sign my rights away[...] A crew member got 3rd degree burns over his whole body, and we were given no therapy after witnessing his skin fall off his face but I was the only one who sent him flowers and cards and then were told we had to do a sex scene without a minute to process, we lost 2 stunt doubles, i got cut in the face so close to my eye in a stunt I could have been blind. a woman was left quadriplegic and they tried to blame it on her being on her phone, so much so CW didn't even help her to start with because they needed to 'investigate' so she had to do a go fund me... she's a PA, they work via phones. Her accident occurred because our show refused to shut down when everyone else did because of Covid.
"[Caroline Dries] has no heart and wanted us to finish the season throughout the pandemic and I told her it was a bad idea... i told her everyone was too distracted, constantly checking Covid updates checking on friends and seeing riverdale, the flash and super girl shut down already, i felt something bad would happen and [Dries] maybe visited the set 4 times in a year... UNHEARD OF.."

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That is screwed up and I don't blame her for leaving. When will freaking Hollywood ever learn? You can't rush just to meet some unpleasable fans demands or your stupid money quota. There's honestly should be a big lawsuit; especially for that burn victim.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That is screwed up and I don't blame her for leaving. When will freaking Hollywood ever learn? You can't rush just to meet someone pleasable fans demands or your stupid money quota. There's an honestly be a big lawsuit; especially for that burn victim.
And the show wasn't even good. Why push so hard to finish something that has poor audience response in the first place.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
WB's response:

Despite the revisionist history that Ruby Rose is now sharing online aimed at the producers, the cast and crew, the network, and the Studio, the truth is that Warner Bros. Television had decided not to exercise its option to engage Ruby for season two of Batwoman based on multiple complaints about workplace behavior that were extensively reviewed and handled privately out of respect for all concerned.
Apparently they only thing they're denying is the nature of her departure rather than any of the things she says happened on set.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
WB's response:

Apparently they only thing they're denying is the nature of her departure rather than any of the things she says happened on set.
So they're claiming that Ruby's real name is Karen? Hmm...interesting.

Wasn't there stories about Ruby already hating the show mid season due to the ratings and critique?

Also why wait over a year after leaving to complain and report about abuse and problems? Why not immediately squeal the moment the show was over or even during the show if it was that bad? I don't understand tolerating it, it's not like she isn't already a millionaire and can't afford to leave a show if it's that fucked up.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
If I had to guess? NDA's
This, they put stuff in your contract that says you can't shit on the company on social media. Not even a guess, its standard practice.

I thought her departure was weird, but the trailers looked so atrocious I didn't even bother to watch and assumed she quit because it was trash. Rose seems to be pretty determined to get into acting seriously and so I assumed she quit because she knew it was a bad gig.

On topic, God what is it with producers being the filth of the earth. Hollywood seriously needs to get act together. This good olboy shit is unacceptable in this day and age.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
A non-disclosure agreement cannot prevent you from talking about or reporting criminal activity.
I figured, it's just my view of NDA's is quite negative, as for whatever their legitimate purpose is, they seem to be used exclusively as gag-orders to keep the company image "clean".

EDIT: Plus, as I'm sure CW's lawyers will be quick to point out, none of what was described is illegal, per se. Scummy and fucking awful, sure, but not totally illegal.

That would make sense if legal action had been issued or taken. But that doesn't seem to be the case, these are just straight accusations atm. Just seems weird to wait almost exactly 1 year to then start saying something.
Well, accusations are usually the start to these things, and "almost exactly 1 year" sounds like the end of a contract (to me anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That would make sense if legal action had been issued or taken. But that doesn't seem to be the case, these are just straight accusations atm. Just seems weird to wait almost exactly 1 year to then start saying something.
Why is the time important?

A non-disclosure agreement cannot prevent you from talking about or reporting criminal activity.
This is likely true in this case. Doesn't mean that WB or CW can't pretend and threat you. Just because it's not enforceable, doesn't mean a company wouldn't put it into a NDA anyway.

If I was Rose, I would be talking to lawyers before saying anything. You dont want to unintentionally screw up a potentional case by stating something incorrect

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
EDIT: Plus, as I'm sure CW's lawyers will be quick to point out, none of what was described is illegal, per se. Scummy and fucking awful, sure, but not totally illegal.
(This is what I get for posting at work)
Okay, to further clarify, most of what was described was not illegal, specifically the stuff relating to the person whos skin fell off and the woman who is now paralyzed (as I'm sure there is a contract somewhere absolving CW, which would explain why they would try to push that "she was on her phone" bit). What Mr. "Steam-clean my dick" did is most likely sexual assault.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It wouldn't be an NDA, but I got his point. I wouldn't get hung up on semantics. Celebrities and actors, when dealing with large entities, are asked to sign an agreement that says something to the effect that within X time period they can not say anything negative, and there's a bunch of legalese around it, about the company or production. I just had required training this week on this agreement ironically. If they break that agreement they can be fired, contract cancelled, sued, and lose stipends, royalties, pay etc.

My guess is Rose was muzzled by contract or honestly it's possible she was incentivized to let it go, either by cash or threat. If it's the latter by admitting it they'd look even worse so I'm imagine they'll just ignore it and ban her from working with them again.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And now to watch and laugh as everyone turns on the show who was previously calling anyone critical of it a bigot........

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And the show wasn't even good. Why push so hard to finish something that has poor audience response in the first place.
Considering the likely overlap between Batwoman and the kind of people who are hardcore Reylo shippers.......... I think it's possible to take a fair guess as to why they pushed so hard. In part because their demographic were the twitter crowd.

Wasn't there stories about Ruby already hating the show mid season due to the ratings and critique?

Also why wait over a year after leaving to complain and report about abuse and problems? Why not immediately squeal the moment the show was over or even during the show if it was that bad? I don't understand tolerating it, it's not like she isn't already a millionaire and can't afford to leave a show if it's that fucked up.
Probably wanted to make sure she had some kind of work locked in before pissing off any executives. Hollywood don't like no Narcs or squealers

I figured, it's just my view of NDA's is quite negative, as for whatever their legitimate purpose is, they seem to be used exclusively as gag-orders to keep the company image "clean".

Well, accusations are usually the start to these things, and "almost exactly 1 year" sounds like the end of a contract (to me anyway).
I'd actually suggest some of it is illegal, though it might depend more on local laws.

In the UK a certain actress nearly putting Jason Momoa's eye out has shut down a film for 2 weeks while safety investigations take place. It's entirely possible they failed to maintain a safe working environment or were negligent with the stunt work safety checks and stuff. If it was totally freak accidents maybe but seriously it sound like a seriously dangerous set. Like a guy getting all over 3rd degree burns, even low budget films normally have to have safety crews on hand for fire stunts so the only way something like that should be able to happen is a flash fire (malfunction on a fire effect piece of kit or something). As for the PA left paralysed that's I can only imagine would be either falling off something or some automated boom or platform hitting / crushing them.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm not particularly motivated to give any of these producers or WB the benefit of the doubt. They've done sketchy shit for years, but honestly the way all CW shows just go to absolute shit is enough to convince me that they have wackos in charge.

Why not immediately squeal the moment the show was over or even during the show if it was that bad?
Why did Ray Fisher wait three years to call out Joss Whedon? Why did Scarlett Johansson wait for a month before suing Disney?

So many possible reasons. Maybe they were willing to wait for internal investigations to conclude and for the authorities to do the right thing. Maybe they needed the time to build a legal case. Maybe they know despite their fame, producer shitbags like Harvey Weinstein still wield a lot of power in Hollywood and didn't want to fuck their careers over. Maybe they were willing to keep quiet until they couldn't take all the criticism for shit they weren't responsible for anymore.

I wouldn't expect anyone other than the biggest names in Hollywood to be able to just say "Hey, what the fuck are you doing" when some bad shit goes down and have action be taken immediately. I mean, when's the last time you saw a celebrity who clearly knew their movie or show was shit actually say so before or during the movie's release?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I'm not particularly motivated to give any of these producers or WB the benefit of the doubt. They've done sketchy shit for years, but honestly the way all CW shows just go to absolute shit is enough to convince me that they have wackos in charge.
The CW has a bit of a history of this.
Smallville was apparently a demanding shooting schedule such that It was only because two of the actors behind major characters came forward and basically pushed for it that Tom Welling got a driver to take him too and from set and that was after 3 close calls where he was so tired he fell asleep at the wheel on the way home from shooting. Other characters had it better being in less scenes but apparently Tom Welling was basically there all day every day from the open of shooting until the close.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

A number of reasons.

Firstly going through a lot of trauma like that can take time to process and even really realise how fucked up it was in the first place. I worked for the same company all through school and college. It wasn't until after I left and started working on a new job, that my health, physical and mental, started to improve, working in a much more positive environment that valued and respected me and talking to friends who were still in the old job that I realised how abusive that working environment was.

Sometimes people feel foolish for having "let" themselves be victims and will keep hush because they kind of blame themselves or think they were stupid for letting the abuse continue so long.

Fearing reprisal. It's a particularly vindictive industry and getting a reputation for causing trouble can end your career. Even when you are completely in the right.

Emotions aren't logical and people are emotional. Like, we know for a fact people like Weinstein and Cosby were abusers then there's Jimmy Saville. There's so many cases of abuse not coming to light for years. The whole "why'd they wait" line of questioning doesn't really work when we know for a fact that it can often take years for provably factual cases of abuse to become public. It happens, we know it happens. Taking time is not automatic grounds for suspicion.