Ruins: A Memory of Man's Destruction [Closed]

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Alexis saw the look in his cousin's eye. He had forgotten that Caelan came from a military family; he knew how important the burning of the bodies was to him. It was strange for him; the only thing he had noticed about the burning was the smell. There was no enlightenment for him, no fulfillment that was supposed to happen upon seeing the ashes return the Heavens. He had heard the stories after all; the spirits forced to walk the earth forever as their bodies rotted into the earth. They then joined the Underworld as their bodies did.

Alexis looked at the dying man and tried to calculate some kind of way to bring him peace without sacrificing himself and the rest of the people with him. He could come up with nothing; the Metal Men were moving too quickly to build any kind of flame. No materials, no sources, just them and the forest and beings that were coming upon them quickly. Alexis had no answers; he didn't know what to tell his cousin, what to tell these people; he was no leader, he had always worked alone, his actions were only felt by him. Now his actions would be felt by the entire group he had assembled around him.

He turned to his cousin, the one he knew would hate him for this decision, "I don't know what else we can do for him; look at him, he's too weak to walk, too slow for us to carry and too close to death, in my opinion, to be able to save, even if your mother looked at him," he took a deep breath, the hardest part was about to come, "The only thing we can do, is grant him a small mercy and kill him now," this last bit came as a whisper in Cael's ear, "Its that or the Metal Men kill him and I'm sure that it won't be pretty, we need to do something for him; I do agree, but we cannot burn him; I'm sorry Cousin."

The Metal Men moved through the Forest, their arrival still known as long as the children remained alive in the Ruins; their cover blown, they would not have the element of surprise that the numbers they had, in this case too few, would need in order to mount a successful attack; as long as the children survived, these two Metal Men were committing their own suicide by being here. They stepped towards the carcass of the small girl that had fallen to them; a slight hiss came from one of the Men and the being leaned over the small body, feeling for some sign of life. When none could be found, the Man stood up straighter and sighted up the device in his hands once again. He searched for the other boy that had run when they came upon the two of them; another hiss escaped his armour and the other being turned toward them, an exchange of muffled sounds and hisses continued as the two decided what to do.

One of them gestured towards the obvious disturbance in foliage and moved to follow it, while the other shook his head in protest; the argument of whether it was safe or not, remained too vague for him to make a decision about. Instead, he removed something from his bag; a small piece of technology from before the Ascension. Flicking a small switch a crackling began, the feedback loud and intrusive to the actual message being sent. He pressed a small button and the static cleared for a moment and a muffled voice echoed through the ancient machine, "What do you want?"

One of the Men grasped the Mask that shrouded his head and lifted. With a squeaking protest and a burst of compressed air, it left the attachment to his body and the being took a breath of native air, "Do we continue to press towards those who saw us? Or do we retreat; I do not wish to calculate the risk associated with this."

The voice on the other side of the speaker sounded annoyed and snapped back, "If they have seen you and already escaped, they are beyond our reach; return to the South; we cannot risk mounting an attack on this population, not with our element of surprise ruined," the feed immediately went dead and the man returned the device to his bag.

Coughing once and noticing the thin layer of blood on his hand, he immediately adjusted the mask back onto his face, feeling the comfortable feeling of the pure stale air that moved through his system once again. The two beings nodded in understanding and turned on their heels moving back towards the South in a silent retreat. However before they left the scene completely; one of the two took a silver metal piece out of one of his pockets. He clicked it a few times until he saw a bright yellow flame appear from its mouth. Setting it to the dry dead grass that surrounded the Ruins, he watched as the fire danced in front of him. Nodding in silent approval he turned around once again and vanished into the corpse of the structure in front of him.

The readings had begun, the grounds in front of the Cog were crowded with thousands who had come to hear the voice of the Elder Rickard. As he droned on about the new threat of the Metal Men and what it meant for the Village, the parts they all played and the precautions that had to be taken, Alexis's mother saw Caelan's parents and moved towards them. In a hushed voice, as not to draw attention to the conversation they were having, she whispered to her sister, "Have you seen Alexis? He was gone this morning when I woke up and I haven't seen him all morning? Is he at your house with Caelan?"

Just so you all know I'm going to be gone for a week on Vacation; I don't know how good my internet will be so just post as needed, and if you have questions PM them and hopefully I can get back to you. Regardless its a long trip so I'll have time to write more Ruins things, so expect an update when I return, that of course meaning you'll have to post for now.

Baldrek

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2008
Country
Norway
Ilmar had been looking through a promising area within the ruins when he first heard the unusual sound spread through the decrepit landscape. The sound lasted but an instant, but was sharp and powerful, much like the sound of a collapsing building, but condensed into a single moment, at least that was what his mind compared it too. Feeling suddenly exposed and alone, Ilmar slung the now weighty bundle of salvage over his shoulder and retreated back the way he had come from through the maze of rock and debris. The sound had been too unnatural to allow him to just carry on with his task, and it had quickly transformed the ruins from a place of relatively quiet safety into an inhospitable and dangerous area.

More sounds rang out, sharp cracks momentarily reflected by the gray rock and corroded metal, making Ilmar quicken his pace. He needed to get out of here now, this terrible feeling of unease wouldn't stop before he had distanced himself from the ruins and entered the woods. An unusual idea for him as he normally would prefer the former over the latter, but the current circumstances were not usual.

And as if to further add to the odd turn of events, he thought he could hear several voices echo from somewhere near him. Continuing retracing his steps to return to the path he had used to enter the ruins, he attempted to pinpoint where the voices were coming from, which soon made him almost stop in his tracks. Because whoever they were, they were smack in the middle of his intended route. Seeing as he actually had to take that path back to even have a chance of getting back to the village, Ilmar started inching himself closer to the voices, making sure the metal he was carrying was making as little noise as possible. Finally arriving at a fallen section of wall, he carefully moved to look over it to see who the voices belonged to.

He wasn't sure if should be relived or not from what he saw, on one had there were a gathering of a couple of young people, some he was sure he had seen in the village. On the other hand, there was also a person, and adult from the looks of it, who seemed severely wounded with them. And with some of the people his age covered in blood, the situation seemed difficult to discern. Thinking about what to do next, Ilmar adjusted his footing and was greeted by the sound of shattering glass beneath his soles. Looked like he wouldn't exactly have the time to think about what to do for very long.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I apologize for the long delay, and I'll understand if some have moved on; I simply couldn't feel the writing bug get me and as such I delayed this update. I'm refocused though and am commited to the plot for those still interested.

Alexis straightened, "We need to go," and said it with such conviction that his cousin was distracted for a moment, "You can hate me later Cael but for now I'm getting everyone out of here and going to the Elders with this technology; they'll know what to do."

He looked at the group, a firm look that crept over his face, "You're all coming right? This is bigger than one of us after all," with silent acknowledgement from them all, he began to run the course he knew home, wines whipping against his face and a musky feel over his skin. They were going home now, they were going to save that home from the Metal Men.

They stumbled into another smaller group, Alexis recognized one of them, a girl with only one arm, though he could not remember her name, "You," he began, "What are you doing here in the Ruins? Are you hurt? Did you see or hear Metal Men?"

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Things were happening a little too fast for Jenna's liking. First the strange noises deeper into the Ruins, then people emerging out of nowhere jabbering about things she didn't understand... nonetheless, she tried to make sense of the situation as best she could. Evidently the people who had recently arrived, none of whom she recognised, had had some sort of encounter... she shivered involuntarily when one mentioned Metal Men. So the stories were real, then, and they did exist.

"I, uh, no, I didn't see anything," she stammered to answer the boy's question, instantly losing the composure she had had when it had just been her and Charly. "Heard - heard something, though. Loud noises. Then you all showed up. Haven't been in here very long. Should we get out?"

As she spoke, Jenna's speech began to fragment even more as she tried to figure out what to say in the half-second or so that she had between sentences. Speaking with people she didn't know, who had fired questions quickly at her, normally didn't get a good, thought-out response from her. If what they said was true, and Metal Men were nearby, then they had to get out as soon as humanly possible.