Rumor: 3DS' Launch Planned to Mimic Wii's

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: 3DS' Launch Planned to Mimic Wii's

Rumor has it that Nintendo will be launching the 3DS as it launched the Wii - in December, with absolutely no launch supply.

Hey, have you heard about that 3DS thing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/3ds]? It's made quite the splash since its debut at this year's E3, but now people have two unanswered questions - when is it coming out, and how much will it cost? Well, some analysts have forecast prices in the $250 range for the latter (though it's still unconfirmed), and for the former? Who knows!

Well, perhaps somebody knows - a source told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252870] that the device would be hitting the UK (and presumably the US and Europe as well) in December, just in time for the holiday season. Marketing and hype will begin around the end of October, and initial supply of the undoubtedly hotly-anticipated handheld will be "limited."

If that sounds suspiciously like the launch of a certain other Nintendo console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/wii] to you, don't worry, you aren't going crazy. According to CVG's source, "[The] launch is going to emulate Wii in December ... We've been informed that Nintendo wanted a long run-up to Christmas, but now it's going to be a close-run thing. We're not expecting a lot of stock before next year." The Wii launched in the US and Japan in November 2006, but wasn't out in the UK and Europe until early December '06.

Nintendo plans to have the 3DS out everywhere by March 31st, 2011, but obviously a holiday launch would be preferred. The Wii's 2006 holiday launch did very well for the hardware giant, as the little white box quickly became one of the most must-have gifts of the season. But if the 3DS' launch is anything like the Wii's, then most people shouldn't plan on being able to get their hands on one until oh, mid-2011.

As always, this is a rumor, and a Nintendo representative said as much: "Any dates currently being discussed are pure rumor and speculation as we have not confirmed any specific dates publicly."

So, this could all be wrong. Maybe the 3DS will come out in November. Maybe it'll be out in January. Maybe Nintendo will have enough freakin' supply for once!

Okay, probably not that last one.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The *second* there's an estimated release date and solid recommended retail price, I am putting in a pre-order on Amazon. I don't care if it's delayed six times after, I'm not going through the hassle I went through to get a Wii.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Well, I bet it takes time to put so much awesome into a handheld, so I forgiv... Oh who am I kidding, I want this thing! At least a rain check for it! 3D Zelda, Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear! METAL GEAR, and just think of all the other games that could be released for it IN 3D! It could make playing Yu-Gi-Oh that much more cool, with the need of any MotorCycles! Nintendo, make lots of them. If you can make enough to fit onto lots of models for E3, then you can make enough to satisfy people by Christmas.

Calumon: Or, they could delay it so they can get enough 3DS consoles to satisfy people. Either way, I hope I get in 3D! ^^

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I think this could backfire.
By could I mean will. I fail to see how rushing out a brand new untested handheld with very few launch titles (Cough VIRTUAL BOY cough)...yeah.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tomtom94 said:
By could I mean will. I fail to see how rushing out a brand new untested handheld with very few launch titles (Cough VIRTUAL BOY cough)...yeah.
Very few launch titles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101377-PilotWings-MGS-StarFox-Headline-3DS-Lineup], now?

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
The *second* there's an estimated release date and solid recommended retail price, I am putting in a pre-order on Amazon. I don't care if it's delayed six times after, I'm not going through the hassle I went through to get a Wii.
I agree. Not that getting a Wii was much of a problem for me, I was pretty late to the Mario party. But pre-ordering this thing seems like a wise choice, that is thing's gonna sell so I want to get there early.

EDIT:
John Funk said:
tomtom94 said:
Very few launch titles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101377-PilotWings-MGS-StarFox-Headline-3DS-Lineup], now?
Oh Pokemon snap!

...Yeah, I'm done with 'Tendo puns for now.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
John Funk said:
tomtom94 said:
Okay, I grant you, I hadn't done the research on that one and now look a complete imbecile.
But we had a load of Wii "launch titles" pushed back as well. What in the name of Patrick Swayze happened to Sadness and Project HAMMER?
If the games and console are being rushed to meet a deadline, their quality will be compromised. Summer season next year (when people NEED handheld consoles for holidays) might be better.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
This is never planned to happen, but this will likely be just the same as the Wii's launch. Demand will exceed supply. Let's just hope Nintendo ships more than they did when the Wii Launched.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Looks cool enough that I would sadly wait through a million days on shipping delays when they keep pushing the release dates back. Just watch there be a problem with Nintendo now and these things blow up. (Soney and Microsoft have both had one thing that failed in the early stages, slim ps2 and xbox 360)

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Magnalian said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I agree. Not that getting a Wii was much of a problem for me, I was pretty late to the Mario party. But pre-ordering this thing seems like a wise choice, that is thing's gonna sell so I want to get there early.

EDIT:
John Funk said:
tomtom94 said:
Oh Pokemon snap!

...Yeah, I'm done with 'Tendo puns for now.
Ehhh I laughed.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
why is it that when playstation makes 3D ds follows but no one seems to comment on them copying playstation. but when playstation copies the wii with motion controls they say that they are copying them *even though they technically came out with the eye toy first*. speaking of which is it ironic how this isn't a first time this has happened how they start making mp3 players then they stop then apple comes in then Microsoft soon follows?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Thank God I no longer work at a games retailer, it got ridiculous how many times I said "we have run out of stock"

It doesn't help it's just really, really annoying

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
It could make playing Yu-Gi-Oh that much more cool, with the need of any MotorCycles!
Yu-gi-oh?

There's another game kind of like that... what is it again? Hmmm. It's , I think it's...

Pokemon.

Yeah, thats right! Pokemon.

Holy shit.

POKEMON IN 3D!!!!!!!!!

*starts foaming at the mouth*

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems a little short sighted of them...you would think they would have learned from the whole wii problem and had plenty in stock...what do they hope to achieve?

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
For this, I would go to a midnight launch. At 10

I'm not worried about Nintendo's stuff, but I hope all the 3rd party support is "dedicated" support and we're not going to be Red Steeled to death with rush jobs and cheap cash-ins.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I'll be doing the same. Getting a Wii was a pain in the ass: I did get one ordered on launch day on Amazon... After sitting at my computer refreshing the Wii's product page for EIGHT HOURS waiting for the "Add to cart" button to appear. I finally managed to get it, and had the console a few days later, but man, I'd rather just have the preorder this time.

Coldman42

Nov 17, 2009
At least they had a better supply of Wiis at their launch then the PS3 did. Didn't hear about anyone getting mugged and shot over a Wii.

Also, I WANT THE 3DS NOW!!!

please?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Madmanonfire said:
Last time I checked, the Wii was launched in November, not December...
Sorry, should have clarified - they were talking about the UK release, and the Wii was released in the UK Dec 8th.