Rumor: 3DS Release Date Tweeted By Accessory Designer

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: 3DS Release Date Tweeted By Accessory Designer

The alleged employee of an accessory manufacturer may have revealed the release date of the 3DS weeks earlier than Nintendo intended.

The Japanese release date for the Nintendo 3DS was set to be revealed by Nintendo on September 29, but the magic of Twitter has brought rumors of an early reveal. A Twitter user that says he was the employee of Japanese Nintendo DS accessory maker Keys Factory [http://www.keysfactory.co.jp/index.html] claims to have an idea of when the 3DS is coming out.

A tweet by "Nocchisan [http://twitter.com/nocchisan/]" (translated by posters of NeoGAF) implies that the Nintendo 3DS will be released in at least Japan on November 20, 2010. It translates to: "On November 20th, the 11 goods I designed for use with the 3DS will go on sale simultaneously. Those of you buying the 3DS, please buy them while you're at it! This will be officially announced on the homepage eventually, lol. Best regards." He follows it with a link to the Keys Factory website.

Keys Factory develops products for every DS model such as an array of cases, game cart holders, and styli. The tweet doesn't explicitly state when the 3DS will be released, and DS accessories often have been released before new models of the handheld in North America, so this tweet could mean nothing even if Nocchisan actually is from Keys Factory.

Still, if this rumor can be believed, the Nintendo 3DS is likely making its debut in late November. If not, we'll find out the truth on September 29 anyway.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407056]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
That sounds quite soon. I'd expected it early next year. Then again Christmas. I love it when stuff gets announced and it's going to be released next week or something. Like the new 360 or a lot of Apple stuff. It means less waiting.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
My birthday is on Nov 16. God, please make this be a worldwide release sometime on that day.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
That sounds quite soon. I'd expected it early next year. Then again Christmas. I love it when stuff gets announced and it's going to be released next week or something. Like the new 360 or a lot of Apple stuff. It means less waiting.
Yeah only in japan

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Eh, I personally dislike that method, I always get the "Wha? It's coming out today/it already came out?" feeling, like they didn't do enough to inform the public/hype it up or something.

Anyway, regarding the 3DS, I'm still a bit skeptical over it. I'm sure the hardware is fine, but something about it really doesn't give me a good vibe. I've never been one for any Nintendo hardware, something about their consoles/games doesn't really do it for me. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I actually hope it wont be released in the states until MUUUUUUCH later, maybe even March of next year.
I am Currently 100% BROKE and my Job isn't helping that situation at all...
And finding another Job has been a *****.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
I'm a bit less of a fan, especially with something that may take some budgeting for us with a meager disposable income. I was planning on getting the 3DS around launch, but if it's coming out in just a few months, I won't be able to.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Wow, thats earlier than expected! So for the Western markets we can expect a Q1 2011 release date?

Hope I can afford it, its looking fantastic so far... only problem is, I will be a university student by then and, thus, pretty much broke :p

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I hope there's a simultaneous release for everyone. That would be so great but I doubt it will happen. I'm very excited for the 3DS. I'm trading in my pink DS Lite to save up for it and I'm preordering as soon as I can. I want one of these on day one.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
fffff I had planned to buy a new video card on my birthday (Oct 12th) but if this is just gonna come out a month later then I'm gonna have to wait D:

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'm just going to pretend I didn't read this and keep waiting for the official news at the end of September.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
That is a LOT sooner than I would have thought. Figured like, mid summer '11 or something. Wow.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Im not so sure that release date is just a japanese one. look at the ds, it was announced at E3 and released in november in america before japan, look at the wii Nit was announced at E3 and released in november in america before japan. Nintendo tends to stick with what works.

Not to mention how big of a deal 3d is in america right now. I know its big world wide but I think america is the epicenter of it all and the longer they wait to release the system the further it gets away from the 3d boom and the less money nintendo gets.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Danzaivar said:
That is a LOT sooner than I would have thought. Figured like, mid summer '11 or something. Wow.
Nintendo has already stated the 3DS will be out in all markets before the end of their current fiscal year, which would be March 31, 2011.

OT: I hope this isn't the case for America. I definitely won't have enough money saved up for it by the time it gets released, which is only gonna make the agony of waiting worse. Then again, I don't have a whole lot for my Christmas list this year....

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Shortages anticipated. If Nintendo ever wanted to create genuine anarchy; limited release on Black Friday. The buzz on this thing is off the charts.

Badassassin

Jan 16, 2010
So that means pokemon b/w will be back compatible, because that's coming out in 2 weeks or so in Japan.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
kevo.mf.last said:
Im not so sure that release date is just a japanese one. look at the ds, it was announced at E3 and released in november in america before japan, look at the wii Nit was announced at E3 and released in november in america before japan. Nintendo tends to stick with what works.
I find your last sentence to be rather ironic, beacuse that would indicate the opposite of the point you are trying to make. Keep in mind that most of Nintendo's systems (including all post-original DS versions) were released in Japan first. Plus, considering this is a Japanese tweet, it is quite likely it has more relevance to Japanese customers rather than non-Japanese ones.

Having said that, you could still be right. The reason why the Wii and DS were released in NA first was beacuse Nintendo wanted their release to coincide with the Black Friday shopping spree. Considering that Black Friday will be on November 26th this year, a release of the system just days prior would certainly be beneficial for Nintendo.

Either way, it's too early to claim anything for certain. We will only know for certain once Nintendo makes it's announcement on September 29th.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
I so hope this is true. The 3DS sounds awesome and will be a day one purchase for me. If that day comes sooner than expected (I wasn't thinking until early 2011), all the better.

Honestly, I think Nintendo would be foolish to miss the Black Friday/Holiday season release window. They'd move an insane amount of consoles (so long as there aren't any shortages), whereas people will be less likely to buy a new console after Christmas after they've spent a significant portion of their disposable income.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I guess the release date it's for Japan only, either way, I don't care if they delay it for a bit more, I've always been a fan of Nintendo's portables since the very first brick Game Boy and the 3DS it's going to kick lots of asses... and in 3D!!!

I want my Ocarina and the inevitable Majora's Mask.. in 3D!!!... imagine Ben's story in 3D...
(if you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, search on these forums for a thread named "Poll: The Haunting Of A Majora's Mask Cartridge"... it's really freaky...)