Rumor: A Female Robin in Batman v Superman?

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I'm not opposed to a female Robin, but on the other hand...how many more characters are they going to try and cram into this thing?

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
cleric of the order said:
Well, do we really want frank miller smeared all over this?
Carrie's from his earlier years, when he was still really good. So, yes, in this instance I don't think it can hurt.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Schadrach said:
Yeah, no problem with this either. It would have been different if they were taking a previously male Robin and making him female just because (because goddamnit is it that hard not to fuck with canon when it isn't necessary?), but using a canon female Robin? How could I complain?
How could you complain? Easy: Female robin means probably no Batgirl means no Cassandra Cain. I mean, it was a longshot to expect even a possibility of maybe getting a Cassandra Cain cameo, but still.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
ShakerSilver said:
Considering the leaked teaser footage showed off Batman in his Superman fighting armor from DKR, it's not really surprising
that Carrie might be in.

Dark Knight Returns seems to be a major influence with the whole Superman vs Batman angle, which worries me. DKR may be a good Batman story but it is absolutely NOT a good representation of Superman. That version of him only serves as a foil to Batman and his goals.
To be fair, man of steel wasn't exactly a good representation of superman, either.

marioandsonic said:
I'm not opposed to a female Robin, but on the other hand...how many more characters are they going to try and cram into this thing?
I was wondering the same exact thing; half the movie will be like five different origin stories crammed into one (especially if the they go for dark knight continuity and end up with robin under the cowl).

OT: Carrie's Robin is by far my favorite, and DKR is my second favorite elseworlds story. Wait, what on earth are they going to do for her costume? I hope they keep the glasses. Ooh, and the weird slang. "Eye's sideways!"

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
So how is the movie going to work? they seem to be trying to throw in everybody.

Hades said:
Is there any particular reason to just gender swap known characters rather then making interesting new roles for female characters to inhabit?

Having to change a previously male character into a female one doesn't really scream ''Progressive!'' to me. If I was a woman I would probably be a little offended that we had to make due with an revamped male character.
She isn't a gender swapped male character. She is a different person. There is more than one Robin.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Hades said:
Is there any particular reason to just gender swap known characters rather then making interesting new roles for female characters to inhabit?
This is not a gender swap, this happened in the comics in the late 80 infant.
http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Carrie_Kelley

Small run, but it happened.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
This is a big ball of "how does it fucking matter?"

DC's best characters have always been its villains and not its heroes. It could be a cardboard cut in a leotard or called Terri fucking Mcginnis and it would be just as interesting.

Oooh, maybe it'll be "Katana", because that side-kick was so cutting edge in Beware the Bat.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
bigfatcarp93 said:
Carrie's from his earlier years, when he was still really good. So, yes, in this instance I don't think it can hurt.
I know, I liked the The Dark Knight Returns the next one, The Dark Knight Strikes Again isn't really my cup of tea.
I'm worried they just might start drawing from his other works that would not be fun for the whole family.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
bigfatcarp93 said:
I know, I liked the The Dark Knight Returns the next one, The Dark Knight Strikes Again isn't really my cup of tea.
I'm worried they just might start drawing from his other works that would not be fun for the whole family.
Miller's issue seems to be a sort of obsession with facism and authoritarian ideals that started creeping into his later works, especially after 9/11, it's clearest when you look into things like DKR and compare it to strikes again, and his all star batman and robin series.

Miller used to be able to hide it behind decent plotting and story-telling, but it becomes painfully obvious to the point of derailing the plot in his later works, and it doesn't help that his obsession with deifying Batman tends to bring all the other characters who aren't Batman down so that he can have Batman stand around and lecture them on why he's totally superior in every way.

With hindsight, you can see the beginnings of this in Dark Knight Rises, where miller starts to go on his "might makes right" brand of authoritarianism. It's always sort of bizarre, because he still writes eloquent articles on the structure and nature of comic books, but you put him on a Batman book, and he can't help but drench the thing in his personal politics, even if he has to make the heroes really out of character to do so, Strikes again characterization of Batman is particularly cringe-worthy, and they basically destroyed any of the good points Karrie Kelly had in a nonsensical fashion.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
EternallyBored said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Miller's issue seems to be a sort of obsession with facism and authoritarian ideals that started creeping into his later works, especially after 9/11, it's clearest when you look into things like DKR and compare it to strikes again, and his all star batman and robin series.

Miller used to be able to hide it behind decent plotting and story-telling, but it becomes painfully obvious to the point of derailing the plot in his later works, and it doesn't help that his obsession with deifying Batman tends to bring all the other characters who aren't Batman down so that he can have Batman stand around and lecture them on why he's totally superior in every way.

With hindsight, you can see the beginnings of this in Dark Knight Rises, where miller starts to go on his "might makes right" brand of authoritarianism. It's always sort of bizarre, because he still writes eloquent articles on the structure and nature of comic books, but you put him on a Batman book, and he can't help but drench the thing in his personal politics, even if he has to make the heroes really out of character to do so, Strikes again characterization of Batman is particularly cringe-worthy, and they basically destroyed any of the good points Karrie Kelly had in a nonsensical fashion.
I know eh? It's a at thing I suppose, people suggested it comes from the parts of your mind that you don't quite accept. I mean i can respect the man, he now his art and craft. He's just a bit fucked up and I may prefer Mike mignola a bit more (by that I mean a lot more, I love his art style).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hades said:

Having to change a previously male character into a female one doesn't really scream ''Progressive!'' to me. If I was a woman I would probably be a little offended that we had to make due with an revamped male character.
As mentioned, there have been female Robins before...never heard of this one, but the last pre-New52 Batgirl was a Robin at one point before she got fired.

In general, though, yeah, you're not the first one to bring that problem up. Hell, even lampshaded in the comics a few times.

Now, have Wonder Woman get a teen sidekick called Wonderlad that wears less than her...

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Now, have Wonder Woman get a teen sidekick called Wonderlad that wears less than her...
That's a fantastic idea. I suggest they give Wonder Woman a nice, comfortable and functional outfit. Wonder Lad can wear short shorts and a mask.

QuicklyAcross

Mar 11, 2014
Just like batman, robin is not simply one person but rather an ideal.
The man or woman behind the mask is not batman/robin, the ideals and principles that give them strength is what makes them.

option1soul

Nov 17, 2013
This may not have much bearing on the article or the discussion at this point but WILX-10 is not a Detroit news station, it's a Lansing station; I live in the area.

Filming was actually done last week for approximately one-to-two evenings in East Lansing, aka MSU campus. They didn't have a general call for extras, it was not advertised, because I guess it was kind of a spur of the moment thing and they wanted to film around the recently built Broad Art Museum. Why, I don't know, as it's kind of a strange area to film and the museum itself is kind of odd looking.

College kids in East Lansing are pretty rowdy and most likely it wasn't leaked by an "extra" but leaked by one of the many rubbernecks who mobbed the set claiming to be one. Even though filming time was the short, all the local news stations were blowing it up starting around noon the same day (Lansing is a boring freaking place) so it's pretty understandable something like this happened.

Just some clarification for what it's worth.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Flunk said:
thaluikhain said:
That's a fantastic idea. I suggest they give Wonder Woman a nice, comfortable and functional outfit.
I don't follow comic books much, but didn't they try that a few years ago? She had a jacket and pants and actually looked like someone who could fight?

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
insaninater said:
I can just see it now...
All the feminists are going to be angry since robin is about as peon, second-fiddle as they come. If they play robin like they always do, it's going to look pretty genuinely sexist, and if they change robin a lot, well then you might end up throwing a wrench in the series and build around that. In which case it's not good because the movie becomes distracted and unfocused.

Then it doesn't sell well, and hollywood uses that as an excuse to sit on their asses and lazily put out the same shit we've been stuck with for over 10 years now. uuuuuugh.
Think not Scarlet Witch will do better in Avengers 2 in terms of having a bad ass female hero?

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
that to me is kinda crappy. I don't care, dick grayson is great and even if they use nightwing tim drake doesn't get the credit he deserves for being the greatest detective of the wayne family next to bruce. sure ralph dibney is the best detective in the DC universe, even bats admits that, but is almost as good as the bat himself. I get it "oh chick superhero good for us." and using someone with less lore frees them up but come on Tim is more popular and his story is more interesting. this movie is going down the crapper as near as I can tell. mamoa as aquaman is the one good thing I've heard about it.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Oh no, oh no. They're going very much down the DKR route. I really hope she's Barbara Gordon or something else not Robin. Because of Batman's age in this film there was the chance to show much of the Bat-family. Dick Grayson would be all grown up by now and be Nightwing, Jason Todd would be dead/reincarnated as Red Hood and Tim Drake would be Robin. I think Stephanie Brown and Damian Wayne require a bit more set up to be used in films i.e. Stephanie needs the explanation of Spoiler while Damian needs there to be Talia, Ra's and the League of Assassins. Those two have a bit much baggage with them.

On the subject of Carrie Kelly I don't find her all that interesting. Her inner monologues aren't anything another Robin wouldn't have and she has this disconcerting affection for Old Bats to the point where he's pretty much naked in the Batcave and she holds into him as right as she can. I think I'm mostly opposed to her being in the film because she might shut the door on Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin. After all, if the proper Bat-family is established that hopefully means that Batman's villains are already established so we don't need to see their origins for the most part.