Rumor: Andrew Garfield Already "Fired" From Spider-Man

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rumor: Andrew Garfield Already "Fired" From Spider-Man

Has Sony already axed its Amazing reboot series?

For those just joining us: Somebody previously rejected. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138906-Sony-Pictures-Entertainment-Security-Breach-Cybersecurity]

Today's new embarrassment: If Sony Japan does order it's Hollywood subsidiary to let Spider-Man join the Marvel Cinematic Universe, they may be doing so without Amazing star Andrew Garfield. In a breakdown of several of the now-public emails involving Sony chief Amy Pascal, badmouthing the sequel [http://mashable.com/2014/12/12/spider-man-may-appear-in-captain-america-3-but-not-played-by-andrew-garfield/] and bailing on a scheduled appearance at a Sony corporate event.

Instead, the emails (dating to this past October) describe using a Captain America: Civil War [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138994-Sony-Hack-Reveals-Spider-Man-Almost-Crossed-Over-For-Avengers-And-Civil-War] to "re-reboot" the franchise by introducing (yet another) new actor as Spider-Man; who would then have appeared in a new series of films back at Sony. Those initial talks broke down, seemingly because Sony balked at Marvel wanting final creative control over their use of the character (i.e. major story/status-quo changes that might occur during his Marvel appearances) - terms that Sony Japan may now be willing to accept.

If this is indeed the end of Garfield's time as Spider-Man, it shouldn't make too much of a dent in his star-status: He's already scheduled to headline Martin Scorsese's historical drama Silence.

Source: Mashable [http://mashable.com/2014/12/12/spider-man-may-appear-in-captain-america-3-but-not-played-by-andrew-garfield/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
To find out you're fired by a leaked email from hackers ..... ouch? Well, doesn't seem too much of a burn on this kid who kind of turned his nose to Sony on both contractual obligations and just public image (the badmouthing).

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Really feeling that Sony should just axe all their other divisions so that they're just a games publisher/developer/piece of toast. Been working for Nintendo, all they have to do us wank their franchises into oblivion and release collectible figures, equals profit and acclaim.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
MrHide-Patten said:
Really feeling that Sony should just axe all their other divisions so that they're just a games publisher/developer/piece of toast. Been working for Nintendo, all they have to do us wank their franchises into oblivion and release collectible figures, equals profit and acclaim.
Except for the game segment being the least profitable 'profitable part' with only the loss making mobile division doing worse.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
MrHide-Patten said:
Don't forget Sony's insurance division, that kept them afloat during the pre-PS4 years (not sure if its still the case).

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well, he was blaming them for the reasons why Amazin' Spidey isn't doing as good as Sony had hoped. (He's right, though.) Of course after spending time making these movies, Garfield may very well have had it with their incompetence and lousy wirting and either doesn't care what he says of is actively trying to find a way out of whatever contract or obligation he signed without forfeiting some huge bonus.

Although, who knows if any of these leaked email are legitimate. Every single one we hear of seems to written by someone who's life goal is to loose Sony Pictures more money then they could make back if they had movie rights to all of Marvel's IPs.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
I hope someone hacks FoX so Marvel can get my beloved mutants back... Even tho i know it'll take more than a hack at this point.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm calling it now - Miles Morales. I know it's extremely unlikely, but I can see it working, even if Ultimates and Civil War are in two different comic continuities (well, universes, but still...). Introduce Morales through Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, then bring him into Civil War in the same sort of role that Peter Parker would have filled. I can definitely see it working, and it fits with the 'partial' control that Sony Japan apparently want to give back to Marvel, while also staying relatively true to the whole Ultimates inspiration that the Cinematic Universe has taken, and gives a reasonable excuse to cast a new actor in the role.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Azex said:
I hope someone hacks FoX so Marvel can get my beloved mutants back... Even tho i know it'll take more than a hack at this point.
Fox has plenty of hacks working on their superhero franchises. Hasn't helped us yet.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I still prefer Tobey Maguire, but I can't deny Garfield did a good job as Spider-Man. It's his Peter Parker that bugged me.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Vausch said:
I still prefer Tobey Maguire, but I can't deny Garfield did a good job as Spider-Man. It's his Peter Parker that bugged me.
Same here.
His Spidey appearance, slim, flexible and somewhat "small" made it look like I remember spidey. Very acrobatic and all that.
Then again he didn't have quite the nerd feeling to him that Parker was supposed to have :/

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Damn. I liked Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, but you start badmouthing the studio and the movie that gives you the paychecks without expecting some kind of backlash. That being said, maybe he wanted out from the beginning? But hey.

He did always want to be part of the MCU though, so maybe he shot himself in the foot, or considering that this is only a rumour, maybe this is his dream come true.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Guffe said:
Vausch said:
Same here.
His Spidey appearance, slim, flexible and somewhat "small" made it look like I remember spidey. Very acrobatic and all that.
Then again he didn't have quite the nerd feeling to him that Parker was supposed to have :/
For me, Toby Maguire felt better as Peter (better as I still feel he wasn't quite on, but at least he was a dork), but Garfield was a much better Spider Man. His Peter was naff though. He was already a hip, cool, good looking skateboarder before he became Spider Man, was was all kinds of stupid. I know Spidys origins come from a time period that doesn't exist anymore but they could at least have tried to make him feel nerdy.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
It's a pity that Andrew Garfield wasn't the main problem with the movies, but the only potential good side is Marvel getting Spidey back!

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Guffe said:
Vausch said:
Same here.
See I didn't mind the build. Peter being acrobatic isn't limited by him being slim, and at least he wasn't Dark Age muscular.

Yeah, exactly what I thought. They interpreted "nerd" as "hipster".

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
If I was Marvel I wouldn't be agreeing to any kind of deal with Sony. I would just let them continue to run the character into the ground until they stop making movies and full control reverts back to Marvel anyway.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
SerBrittanicus said:
If I was Marvel I wouldn't be agreeing to any kind of deal with Sony. I would just let them continue to run the character into the ground until they stop making movies and full control reverts back to Marvel anyway.
Yeah...but...the problem with that is that spider man is so well known that he'll almost always make money of the kiddies anyway, no matter how shit the movies are. The last amazing spider man was so awful...I cant even describe it. The moment when electro was "born" and douch-face's TEETH GOT SET STRAIGHT!!!! Holy FUCK the stupidity. I am SO goddamn tired of this presentation. Ugly people are evil. Goddamnit hollywood, get your act together. This pissed me off to no end in the hobbit too. Lickspittle and Boss Fry were both ugly looking evil caricatures, and the beautiful people were good and unconflicted...

I wonder if the makers of these movie have any idea what kind of general idea that sends to kids?

Also, back to spider man: Andrey Garfield is the worst, least charismatic actor since Hayden Christensen. And Hayden Christensen is the worst actor since the big bang. Not the theory, the original fucking thing.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Axing the Amazing Spider-Man and integrating Spidey into the proper Marvel-verse both sound like fantastic ideas (maybe not for Sony, but for Marvel and the viewers). I don't know if I'd like to dump Andrew Garfield, though. He's one of the few things that I thought worked about those movies (along with Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy, but... you know). Let's see how this works out! Fetch me some popcorn...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Sony thought they could tell Marvel what to do with Spidey in their own movie. lol. Sony forgets they cant bully Marvel. Spidey in a Marvel movie would be great but it seems alot of work to keep both companies happy. They both would have to agree on the look and the actor in the role as Sony would then have to use that same actor in their movies. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.