Rumor: Arkham City Trailer Shows Joker/Batman Co-op

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Arkham City Trailer Shows Joker/Batman Co-op

A mysterious video that resembles the upcoming Batman: Arkham City makes allies out of mortal enemies.

Could Batman fight alongside the Joker, his psychotic arch-enemy, in Rocksteady's Batman: Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0F5M8]? Perhaps, according to what could be a leaked trailer.

A video of what appears to be a cutscene from Arkham City has hit the internet, though its origin is completely unknown. It could be the work of a fan, or it could be an actual scene from Arkham City.

It shows Batman walking down a rain-soaked street, with the Joker waiting for him on the other end. "What took you so long," Joker asks. "It's over, Joker," Batman replies. "Over? Why my dear, delusional Dark Knight, it hasn't even begun," Joker says. The two then go on to beat up a bunch of thugs together, with Batman and the Joker even working in tandem. Batman leaves the Joker standing until the thugs are all unconscious, and then punches the Joker out too.

If the quotes from the previous paragraph sound familiar, it's because they were used in the exact same way during Batman: Arkham Asylum [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E8VB3C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002I0F5M8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09S57SPQ2PMGVMW12056] and in Arkham Asylum's trailer. For this simple fact, it makes the video seem more likely to be a fan creation, not that they couldn't be used again in Arkham City.

The words don't make a whole lot of sense in the context of the video though, and while the animation looks good I don't think it's on the incredible level we've seen from Rocksteady in past Arkham City media [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106055-Torturous-Hugo-Strange-Shows-Up-in-Batman-Arkham-City]. Plus, the first teaser for Arkham City showed a feeble Joker that probably wouldn't be able to get up and fight. I'm labeling this one as a fake for now, but that doesn't mean we won't see co-op in Arkham City, or that I can't be proven wrong.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/285583/news/arkham-city-trailer-shows-joker-and-batman-co-op-but-is-it-real/]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Ye, in the acutal thread it was posted I said it looked good and was well made, but I'm calling it fake because of the arkham asylum quotes and The Joker is still recovering from his battle against Batman xD

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
If that's a fan creation, it's a damn good one. Animation is a little stiff in a few areas, but overall it shows a remarkable level of polish.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
I'm... uneasy about calling it fake at this point. True, Rocksteady usually does higher quality work than this, but even so it doesn't look like anything a fan could pull off in such a time frame. I guess we'll just have to wait and see[sub]even though I really want it to be real.[/sub]

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
its unlikely, old batty would probably have a problem with the jokers kill everything policy, so i think its a really good fan video, especially since the creators of AA seemed to respect the source material, and mark hamill usually does a better job (the good job part sounded out of place) it sounds like its taken from a episode of the animated series.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, it's happened before...
But I'm also calling this as fake.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
That Guy Who Phails said:
Also, why the hell is Joker fighting his own henchmen?
Actually in the PS3 version (where i think the fan got the animation from) you could play the challenges as the joker, it didn't make a whole lot of sense and was kinda disappointing, the way they sold it i thought there would be unique levels for the joker with different mechanics, but they play pretty much the same way, i hope you appreciate this little bit of info, as i had to do a captcha to say it :D.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Too many re-used set pieces. Reminds me of the crime alley DLC. Mabye this is some kind of early build? An internal demo used to demonstrate some new ideas? I don't know...but pretty much everything is obviously right out of Arkham.

Or it's a fake. And a good one if it is.

pirate64

Jan 8, 2010
This game is really starting to look good.

agh I still heven't play the first one!!! ok that it next pay day I'm buying AA!!!

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Incredible fan made video is my guess. But it's not perfect. The punching sound effect is off and the individual fights are way too short. There's no flow established, it's all punch, punch, knock out, move on. Also, Arkham Asylum never used the whole slow motion thing except on the last guy of a challenge map, this uses it for every move.

Besides, wasn't Co-op confirmed to be Batman and Catwoman or did I get that wrong?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Could be a fake, or it could be a trailer showing off some sort of co-op arena mode, like the challenges in the first game. That would account for the reused voice snips.

Could also be a fan thing.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
It may be on challenge mode? But it does look slightly fake, like the re-skins and quotes.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
As has been said before, the dialogue seems to be ripped out of Arkham Asylum and the graphics are also taken straight from that game. It's also worth remembering that the character models are completely similar - and in the original trailer for Arkham City, the Joker had an I.V drip, a breath-mask and for all intents and purposes, looked like hell.

This probably is a fake, and it's a well done fake - but if it isn't a fake, then I am hell of confused.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
That Guy Who Phails said:
Yeah, I think that's fake, too.

I mean, every single thing is re-used from Arkham Asylum.

Also, why the hell is Joker fighting his own henchmen?
Really since you know using the same engine and maybe not having all the textures done before the second game is released they used some of them again is not at all possible.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
bojac6 said:
Incredible fan made video is my guess. But it's not perfect. The punching sound effect is off and the individual fights are way too short. There's no flow established, it's all punch, punch, knock out, move on. Also, Arkham Asylum never used the whole slow motion thing except on the last guy of a challenge map, this uses it for every move.

Besides, wasn't Co-op confirmed to be Batman and Catwoman or did I get that wrong?
Nope, only co-op, and they the slow-mo effect at an average of the 3rd or 5th guy, but if it's a fake, kudos. I doubt it'll be a real trailer, the most recent official trailer had suberp graphics.