Rumor: Bethesda Making Direct Sequel to Oblivion

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Bethesda Making Direct Sequel to Oblivion

A mold-breaking new Elder Scrolls is supposedly in the works, and is already at the stage of recording voices.

An anonymous source - who is reportedly so close to Bethesda that he had design documents in his hand - has suggested that the fifth Elder Scrolls game will be a direct sequel to 2006's Oblivion [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion-Playstation-3/dp/B000TVT7U4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1290516721&sr=1-1]. This would be the first time that an Elder Scrolls game had directly followed its predecessor.

A member of Eurogamer Denmark's [http://www.eurogamer.dk/articles/2010-11-22-the-elder-scrolls-v-paa-vej] editorial staff reportedly was able to coax certain details about the game from the source while on a plane. Apparently, an NDA prevented the source from saying too much, but he suggested that the game would once again feature the Blades, the Emperor's elite guards and spies, and something referred to only as the "Dragon Lord." Bethesda is reportedly recording voiceovers for the game in the next few weeks, which suggests that the game is in the later stages of development, as it means that the story is finalized and all the dialogue is written.

It's hard to know what to make of these rumors, because "direct sequel" is a fairly vague term. It implies that you will play the same character you played in Oblivion, but says very little else. A direct sequel could be set immediately after Oblivion, where you and the Blades must deal with the aftermath of the demonic invasion as it happens, or it could be set years later when some new danger is threatening all of Tamriel. Of the two, I'm hoping it's the latter, although ideally, it will be something new entirely, rather than another trek round Cyrodiil. Besides, my old Oblivion character has more than enough to do as the champion of the Imperial Arena, archmage of the Mages Guild and head of the Fighters Guild, without adding another grand adventure to his to-do list.

Source: via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/23/report-elder-scrolls-v-is-direct-sequel-to-oblivion/]

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
...and is already at the stage of recording voices.
Let's hope they will put more of an effort into that this time.

Edit: Also, yay, new elder scrolls. I loved Oblivion, and have been looking forward to this.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I think "direct sequel" merely means that the game'll be called TES V and be a real TES game and not some MMORPG. At least I hope you don't play as the same character and that there'll be a new land. Whatever the case, I can't wait!

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Yay for more Elder Scrolls...buy why a direct sequel to Oblivion? It's not like the story was particularly compelling, and there really isn't a whole lot I can see them doing with the setting of Cyrodil itself.

Why do I get the feeling this is merely a money saving exercise, after all, why design completely new content when you've already got the area mapped out and wont need to change the look. Just move some caves around, update the textures a bit, maybe add some new weapons and character models and bam, new game. Yay -_-

Mandal0re

Oct 18, 2008
GothmogII said:
Yay for more Elder Scrolls...buy why a direct sequel to Oblivion? It's not like the story was particularly compelling, and there really isn't a whole lot I can see them doing with the setting of Cyrodil itself.

Why do I get the feeling this is merely a money saving exercise, after all, why design completely new content when you've already got the area mapped out and wont need to change the look. Just move some caves around, update the textures a bit, maybe add some new weapons and character models and bam, new game. Yay -_-
Isnt that how sequels are made these days? If TESV is set in Cyrodiil i'm gonna shit man. Personally really hoping for the summerset isles. And a story thats worth a damn.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Whatever they do'll turn out fine. Just don't make it a buggy mess full of game-breaking exploits.

Alchemy in Morrowind, Duplication in Oblivion, the Scrap Metal glitch in Fallout 3.

Too many people abuse them.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
A direct sequel?.. really?..

This just sucks... Oblivion is the flatest, dullest 'rpg' I've ever played.. and now we're getting 'more of the same'.

definate no buy.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
This news as reported by the Escapist seems to have taken a few twists. Eurogamer itself is posting comments from the original Danish man who got the "scoop" in English, and they aren't stressing any "direct sequel to Oblivion" aspect.

The phrasing they used is: "The same source confirmed, with official game documents in hand, that this will be the chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion..." http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-23-rumour-elder-scrolls-5-in-the-works

Which should come as no surprise, the head designer of the Elder Scrolls series has stated they always push forward in their games timelines (whether Elder Scrolls or Fallout), and they already have the novel put out taking place quite some time after the "Oblivion Crisis".

Judging by the setting of the novel I'd wager Blackmarsh would make a good candidate for the location of the next Elder Scrolls game.

Warthur

Sep 20, 2010
Hmm, if my understanding of the Elder Scrolls timeline is correct then (in canon at least) after Oblivion the Empire eventually dissolves. If you've played Oblivion, you know that the Imperial family were in power for a very specific reason which, in the wake of the end of the main plot, no longer applies, and it'd make sense that when the main reason for binding the Empire together has fallen by the wayside the more independent-minded provinces would start to break away.

A game set right at the start of the collapse of the Empire which focused on the wars between the different provinces would be absolutely epic.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
What about that elder scrolls MMO? Or was that a joke? I forget.

...Oh ho! A "Direct Sequel", eh? So, not TES5, because "TES5 is unlikely/not being worked on/whatever the guy said", but TES4-2. Clever, Bethesda. Clever, indeed.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
ehh if direct sequel means same world then that be a bit of a bummer
if not it could work

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Zeromaeus said:
I personally wanted to go to the Black Marsh...
Well, Skingrad had better be fixed!
Blue Lantern?

OT: Black marsh would be sorta cool. Maybe a world where all the racism is directed at the humans not the lizard men.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Noooooo! What about Skyrim! Or the Black Marsh! Or....that....island that I forgot the name of...