Rumor: Bethesda Teases Next Fallout With New Website - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: Bethesda Teases Next Fallout With New Website - UPDATED

A debate is raging over whether a newly-registered domain is a tease for the next Fallout game.

Head over to thesurvivor2299.com [http://thesurvivor2299.com/] and you'll be greeted by a blank, black screen and an odd, grating beeping. "What could it be?" you ask yourself. The sharp minds at Reddit - some of them, anyway - think they have an answer.

The whois [http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=thesurvivor2299.com] result for thesurvivor2299.com states that the registrant is none other than ZeniMax Media Inc. of Rockville, MD, parent company of Fallout studio Bethesda Softworks. And the beeping, the Redditors say, is actually morse code for "11.12.13," which would seem to correspond to a date.

"Aha!" I hear you cry. "November 12 was two days ago!" True enough, yes, unless you happen to live in Europe, in which case it's actually referring to 11 December 2013. Could it be a hint that the next Fallout will take place overseas? Obsidian's J.E. Sawyer, the lead designer and project coordinator on Fallout: New Vegas, has said in the past that he'd like to make a Fallout spin-off [http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98351-je-sawyer-social-interview-continued.html] based on the European/Middle Eastern conflicts during the Resource Wars.

On the other hand, the domain name is registered with GoDaddy, while all other Bethesda domains are registered through Corporate Domains. That could very well indicate that the whole thing is a prank - but it might not, too. The site source code offers no hints one way or another, although the morse code sound file is named "bridgeport," which may carry some significance.

The bottom line is this: It might be real, it might not - but until we know for sure, we've got something to look forward to in December. Speculation is fun!

UPDATE: Countdown timer! Countdown timer!

(To clarify: A 27-day countdown timer has appeared on the site. It will end on December 11. I'm so excited!)

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1qm8xf/bethesda_registers_new_domain_the_entire_thing_is/]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Oooh, interesting. Yes, I too always wondered how things went in other parts of the world in that alternate future. Vault-Tec was an American company in bed with the government, from what I know, but I'd be surprised if other countries didn't have equivalent undertakings to build bunkers or vaults...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Whilst the character and atmosphere of the other Fallout games was nice, it would be refreshing to see what happened elsewhere in the world. Part of me wants them to avoid the UK though.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Whilst the character and atmosphere of the other Fallout games was nice, it would be refreshing to see what happened elsewhere in the world. Part of me wants them to avoid the UK though.
YES!
Gentlemanly Supermutants! Ghouls in bowler hats! Beatles!

Ahem. That would be quite nice, actually.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
See now, I wouldn't mind seeing more stuff from the Resource Wars. Would be a way to show the rest of the world entering an apocalyptic conflict and possibly seeing how the Europeans survived the Great War. Might explain how Tenpenny was around.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
I'd like to see Europe after the Resource Wars, not before. Having a Fallout game before the fallout doesn't sound like Fallout at all!

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
That's close! The code when translated says 12.11.13/11.12.13. So it gives both dates. I used my Morse Code Reader app from google play. It's a cool app.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
A next-gen Fallout title?

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

God knows that the graphics in the recent Fallout games are pretty low-end, a touch up would be nice, or alternatively, a huge expansion of the world, using the same graphics, but using the remaining processor power to deepen the game.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Akichi Daikashima said:

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

God knows that the graphics in the recent Fallout games are pretty low-end, a touch up would be nice, or alternatively, a huge expansion of the world, using the same graphics, but using the remaining processor power to deepen the game.
Or better than all that, a new engine to fix the root of all the problems.

Aug 1, 2010
Sorry, but /v/ already killed this one.

The domain is registered to a guy in Russia. That, combined with the GoDaddy thing the article mentioned is pretty damning evidence that this is a hoax.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
INeedAName said:
I'd like to see Europe after the Resource Wars, not before. Having a Fallout game before the fallout doesn't sound like Fallout at all!
I'm pretty sure that, if this is real and not a hoax, it would take place long after the war. But like with the games set in the former USA we would get to see remnants of the war and hints at how things went down.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

I find the combat against the numerous glitches and bugs to be part of the authentic Fallout experience.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Akichi Daikashima said:
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

I find the combat against the numerous glitches and bugs to be part of the authentic Fallout experience.
Can we bring over all the bugs and issues from the Elder Scroll games too so you can have an authentic-er experience? ; )

Sorry I'm not being as mean as I sound. Just being a smart ass and half asleep. >_>

But really, I rejoice the day Beth announces a new engine. It will at least be the dawn of the possibility of the end of a lot of perennial Beth game problems that seemed to be tied to the engine and the way it handles stuff.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

Can we bring over all the bugs and issues from the Elder Scroll games too so you can have an authentic-er experience? ; )

Sorry I'm not being as mean as I sound. Just being a smart ass and half asleep. >_>

But really, I rejoice the day Beth announces a new engine. It will at least be the dawn of the possibility of the end of a lot of perennial Beth game problems that seemed to be tied to the engine and the way it handles stuff.
Does that mean that the Gamebryo engine is inherently flawed?

And they could make a different engine, after all, they have id software to work with, and even though the Rage engine was a bit messy, it was still quite good.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Akichi Daikashima said:
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

And they could make a different engine, after all, they have id software to work with, and even though the Rage engine was a bit messy, it was still quite good.
That's the most infuriating thing..the engine itself in the grand scheme isn't flawed. It's apparently used in a lot of different games, like Catherine.

Beth seems to use it in a quick and dirty fashion. I've heard rumors that back in the olde olde days of Arena, the games still had a lot of problems, but they were smaller in scope, and didn't have quite the intricacy even something like Morrowind did years later. And supposedly, they never really got out of the "small company, small game" coding/work ethic, even after the games became mega popular and made them a lot of money, enough to upgrade their digs and equipment.

Maybe if they build an engine in-house from the ground up, they will understand it better and be able to utilize all it's facilities much more efficiently.

And then again maybe not.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I seriously hope it is not just an enhanced Gamebryo engine and something just as flexible in terms of modding support.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

That's the most infuriating thing..the engine itself in the grand scheme isn't flawed. It's apparently used in a lot of different games, like Catherine.

Beth seems to use it in a quick and dirty fashion. I've heard rumors that back in the olde olde days of Arena, the games still had a lot of problems, but they were smaller in scope, and didn't have quite the intricacy even something like Morrowind did years later. And supposedly, they never really got out of the "small company, small game" coding/work ethic, even after the games became mega popular and made them a lot of money, enough to upgrade their digs and equipment.

Maybe if they build an engine in-house from the ground up, they will understand it better and be able to utilize all it's facilities much more efficiently.

And then again maybe not.
Huh, leave it to Bethesda to "overlook things" and keep shit the same.

Seriously though, when your game sales hit the 5 millions, that sort of mentality should go out the window.