Rumor: Bioware Austin is Prototyping a Knights of the Old Republic Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Rumor: Bioware Austin is Prototyping a Knights of the Old Republic Game

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1396/1396400.jpgIf a rumor making the rounds is true, Bioware Austin could have a new Knights of the Old Republic game in the works.

There's one game that always comes up in discussions of what gamers would like to see Bioware work on next: another Knights of the Old Republic title. It's been nearly 13 years since Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords was released, and there's not been any talk of another game in the series, apart from 2011's MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic. But that could all be changing soon, if a rumor making the rounds is true. Bioware is apparently working on another Knights of the Old Republic game.

The rumor comes courtesy of Liam Robertson's Patreon page [https://www.patreon.com/LiamRobertson], where he reveals bits of info that he's uncovered from around the industry. He previously was first to reveal Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, as well as being first to announce the cancellation of Scalebound.

In a podcast for his Patreon backers, Robertson said, "I've learned now that [BioWare Austin is] pretty much now exclusively working on Star Wars games and they're going to be doing that for the indefinite future. What they're currently working on right now - and I have this on good authority - is a sort of remake/revival of Knights of the Old Republic."

But apparently the scope is shifting as the project progresses. As Robertson went on to say, "I don't know when this is set to come out, but it has been in development for a little while now. I don't really know how that game will end up. I've heard that it isn't exactly a remake anymore, but it started as a remake/revival. Now it's kind of going from that blueprint in sort of its own original thing. I guess we'll see what that turns out to be, but they are prototyping it right now."

Obviously, this rumor is unconfirmed, and there's little doubt that Bioware won't be willing to to offer up any more info, although we have sent them a request for comment. As with any rumor like this, it's best to take it with a huge grain of salt, and wait to see what emerges. Still, I'd certainly play a new KOTOR, wouldn't you? That would be even better than when someone remade KOTOR in Unreal Engine 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166429-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-Remade-in-Unreal-Engine-4].

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
If this had been announced as a rumor OR fact nearer to the original releases I would have been overjoyed..
The current gaming industry have made me very cynical though so I'm more or less left with a bitter taste of stale cinnamon rolls in my mouth.
Still good, but not a scratch on freshly baked ones.

I expect the new rumored game to contain console controls and/or feels, quicktime events, forced and in your face inclusiveness, contextual controls all that other shady jazz.

Unless I'm pleasantly surprised and proven wrong by it being more or less a remake with new content.
Please let me be wrong.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I was excited... right up to the point when I remembered the latest Mass Effects, Dragon Ages, and that Disney has control of the lore. :p

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
In a time when MMOs are getting sequels I won't hold my breath.

And it's EA, so some sort of multiplayer is granted.

My silly wildcard bet is on a Star Wars Overwatch clone, because EA loves to chase trends.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Ukomba said:
I was excited... right up to the point when I remembered the latest Mass Effects, Dragon Ages, and that Disney has control of the lore. :p
Yeah, that was my line of thinking, as well.

On one hand, more KotOR. On the other hand, it gives Bioware a chance to ruin a franchise that I hold dear, and I have zero faith in their game quality anymore.

It could be a chance to return to form. Or it could spell their doom.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Vendor-Lazarus said:
If this had been announced as a rumor OR fact nearer to the original releases I would have been overjoyed..
The current gaming industry have made me very cynical though so I'm more or less left with a bitter taste of stale cinnamon rolls in my mouth.
Still good, but not a scratch on freshly baked ones.

I expect the new rumored game to contain console controls and/or feels, quicktime events, forced and in your face inclusiveness, contextual controls all that other shady jazz.

Unless I'm pleasantly surprised and proven wrong by it being more or less a remake with new content.
Please let me be wrong.
In this case your cynicism is completely justified!

Practically all the original KOTOR developers, or judging from Andromeda, all the good developers left Bioware ages ago and what we have now is a legendary studio in name only.

Christ I guess times really have changed though, so much so that I'd rather actively fear a KOTOR sequel now than excitedly anticipate it hahaha.... yeugh.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
When the first Mass Effect came out and I started to find my way around the Citadel, I couldn't help but stand and admire the views - wondering what a new KotOR would've looked and sounded like with that level of tech. Sure, I came to enjoy the series, but for a while I was still a little disappointed that they hadn't just made a new KotOR.

As ever, I hope the rumours are true.

Overall, Star Wars as a property's the strongest it's been since--- well, 1983, I guess... so another proper SW A/RPG by BioWare would do nicely.

SlumlordThanatos said:
It could be a chance to return to form. Or it could spell their doom.
Isn't a line like that symptomatic of a collective inadequacy of critical thought? Who cares for mundane nuance when you have two binary states to choose from; success or failure?

Maybe - just maybe - if a new KotOR comes out it won't be awful and it won't be great - maybe it'll be just another game with strengths and weaknesses? If I were a betting man I'd put my money on that, not some [actually nebulously subjective] 'return to form' or doom (something people have been pondering/hoping for/whining about re BioWare for about seven years now).

I had major issues with DA:I, and I'm still holding off ME:A for another patch (at least), but as I've said before they still provide a unique flavour of game[footnote]Can anyone name any other multiformat devs making triple-A SP A/RPG party-based fantasy and sci-fi games heavily focused on character narrative? If so, point 'em out and I'll throw some cash towards BioWare's direct competitor/s...[/footnote], so if DA:I's the worst they can do (and it was impressively bad/misguided in some aspects), I'll always be up for more.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I've just realised how disgruntled i've become when my first thought was "I wonder how they'll fuck this one up."

I really should be excited by this. I really like KotOR and KotOR 2 is my favourite game of all time. But I can't help but be skeptical.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
I'd definitely give a new Star Wars RPG set in the Old Republic era a try. I would be less interested in a remake of the original KotOR though. There's 300 years of history in between KotOR and The Old Republic MMO. You could set the game before KotOR. So there are a lot of possibilities.

That said while it might be interesting if there is a KotOR-esque project in pre-production, it doesn't sound like things have been locked in. Star Wars games have been canceled when way further along in development than it sounds like this is. And even if they do go ahead with a Star Wars game it might end up being something totally different. Maybe Disney will ask them to make an RPG set in the movie era instead?

Well, hopefully we'll hear more eventually.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ukomba said:
The Star Wars games all take place in the EU apparently, so lore won't be much of an issue. But there is hope for quality, Bioware Austin are the good game makers, Andromeda was made by Bioware Montreal.

PPB

May 25, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with SWTOR in one way or another. They seem intent on keeping the game alive and the last 2 expansions were heavily focused on storylines and single player content (the first one was downright marketed as a return to "BioWare-style cinematic storytelling"). The problem is that they have sort of painted themselves in a corner as far as the story goes right now.

This may sound crazy and is arguably a bit far-fetched, but I wouldn't put it past them to release some kind of "KotOR expansion" for SWTOR, sort of like a standalone adventure set in the past or something to that effect. Not entirely unlike ESO's Morrowind expansion in a way.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
As long as it's being written by competent people and doesn't aim to be Dragon Age Inquisition in Star Wars universe I'm game.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
008Zulu said:
Ukomba said:
The Star Wars games all take place in the EU apparently, so lore won't be much of an issue. But there is hope for quality, Bioware Austin are the good game makers, Andromeda was made by Bioware Montreal.
Not sure where you're getting your information from, but that directly contradicts what Disney has stated. There has been no new EU material since Disney's takeover. It's hard to say if fans would accept a Disney attempt to add to the EU after they trashed it. There has been some new GA 'Grey Area' lore released in SWTOR since, but everything else is (or should be) DU lore. They straight up stated there would be no new non-canon releases, of course, then they go and release things like 'Lego Star Wars Freemaker Adventures' so who knows what they'll do.

Here's hoping for a return to older Bioware Quality. After EA's influence; though, I'll limit my expectations.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
As long as it's being written by competent people and doesn't aim to be Dragon Age Inquisition in Star Wars universe I'm game.
And if it does happen to be that....

Eh? EEEEEH?

I'll see myself out...

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
PPB said:
I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with SWTOR in one way or another. They seem intent on keeping the game alive and the last 2 expansions were heavily focused on storylines and single player content (the first one was downright marketed as a return to "BioWare-style cinematic storytelling"). The problem is that they have sort of painted themselves in a corner as far as the story goes right now.

This may sound crazy and is arguably a bit far-fetched, but I wouldn't put it past them to release some kind of "KotOR expansion" for SWTOR, sort of like a standalone adventure set in the past or something to that effect. Not entirely unlike ESO's Morrowind expansion in a way.
Me, I'd be more than willing to pay for a single player version of The Old Republic. You know, one with everything rebalanced to a singleplayer experience. TOR could have been an absolutely AMAZING single player game, but all the MMO conventions that were thrown in both in the battle system and world in general just dragged it down.

I've at least liked well enough if not loved everything Bioware has come out with both pre and post EA, so I don't have this insane EABIOWARE SUX thing that seems to be rampant around here. Thus, I trust them to make something of worth if this actually is true and comes to something.

Honestly? In the subject of Star Wars games, a Bethesda style open world Action RPG Star Wars game is what I really want in one of them someday, something that really makes me feel like I live in that universe. TOR had too much "you're playing a game right now" immersion breaking thanks to all the MMO stuff in it that it really didn't full that.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
It's probably just a remaster. Most of the post-KOTOR plot has been fleshed out in the MMO. There's not much room for them to work in.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
When EA first revealed Battlefront and that they were going to make a bunch of Star Wars games using all their developer slaves...I fucking called this. So uh...where's my recognition?

bastardofmelbourne said:
It's probably just a remaster. Most of the post-KOTOR plot has been fleshed out in the MMO. There's not much room for them to work in.
I imagine it to be a KotoR 1 remake/reboot to re-canonize it, since the KotoR series as is is "Old-canon" due to Disney. Revan though has already been re-established as existing, since apparently Kylo-Ren uses his damaged lightsaber crystal in that 3-blade lightsaber of his. Now it is just a matter of re-affirming Revan.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Sooo it only took them over a decade to 'understand' that KotOR fans wanted a new installment of the game they grew to appreciate.
And not a shallow, theme park set, booooring fetch quest ridden mmo (that were to be 'the WoW killer!') that degenerated after a year into micro-transaction scam galore. ._.

Can we also have SWG back now? With unrestricted player housing, global planetary and space pvp, sandbox planets, player driven economy, meaningful crafting, atmospheric flight, player bounty hunting system, player own quests generators and competent free space flight simulator
...that were unplugged on EA's request, so 'Star Wars fanbase wouldn't be confused by 2 SW mmos', no?

ok... still f&$#^k you EA. Maybe start of with remastering SWtoR 2 and patching back in cut out content and fix the ending so it doesn't feel like someone entered devs studio shouting 'you have 15 min to wrap this up!'.

No hopes here, even thou the first reaction to this was 'yes!' then awarness of sad reality kicks in.
Bioware doesn't exist anymore. EA's thrall studio will just f#*k this up. Then they'll bite the bullet and pile up next to Westwood.