Rumor: Bioware Austin is Prototyping a Knights of the Old Republic Game

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ukomba said:
Not sure where you're getting your information from, but that directly contradicts what Disney has stated. There has been no new EU material since Disney's takeover. It's hard to say if fans would accept a Disney attempt to add to the EU after they trashed it.
The Old Republic MMO. They have released new content for that since Disney's takeover.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
008Zulu said:
Ukomba said:
Not sure where you're getting your information from, but that directly contradicts what Disney has stated. There has been no new EU material since Disney's takeover. It's hard to say if fans would accept a Disney attempt to add to the EU after they trashed it.
The Old Republic MMO. They have released new content for that since Disney's takeover.
Did you... did you purposefully edit down my quote to act like I didn't address this already? o_O Here's LITERALLY THE NEXT SENTENCE since you magically missed it the first time.

Ukomba said:
There has been some new GA 'Grey Area' lore released in SWTOR since, but everything else is (or should be) DU lore.
SWTOR, The Old Republic MMO, though originally part of the EU, is now Grey Area canon, as stated by Pablo Hidalgo. While it had been accepted as EU, and I believe fans accept the expansions as unofficial EU, the game is it's own thing. Disney can't accept it as canon because it would, by necessity, pull in the Light side ending Canon from both KOTOR 1 and 2*. It's not 100% EU either both because Disney says it won't be releasing any more 'Legends' material, but also because they added those Cross-guard Eyesores into the game.

* - Given events in Rebels, Malachor V could not have been destroyed at the end of KOTOR 2 meaning either the DU uses the Dark Side ending as Canon or they like stripping EU material of all context and then try to use it for their own universe without realizing it's only cool because of the context.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
When the first Mass Effect came out and I started to find my way around the Citadel, I couldn't help but stand and admire the views - wondering what a new KotOR would've looked and sounded like with that level of tech. Sure, I came to enjoy the series, but for a while I was still a little disappointed that they hadn't just made a new KotOR.

As ever, I hope the rumours are true.

Overall, Star Wars as a property's the strongest it's been since--- well, 1983, I guess... so another proper SW A/RPG by BioWare would do nicely.

SlumlordThanatos said:
It could be a chance to return to form. Or it could spell their doom.
Isn't a line like that symptomatic of a collective inadequacy of critical thought? Who cares for mundane nuance when you have two binary states to choose from; success or failure?

Maybe - just maybe - if a new KotOR comes out it won't be awful and it won't be great - maybe it'll be just another game with strengths and weaknesses? If I were a betting man I'd put my money on that, not some [actually nebulously subjective] 'return to form' or doom (something people have been pondering/hoping for/whining about re BioWare for about seven years now).

I had major issues with DA:I, and I'm still holding off ME:A for another patch (at least), but as I've said before they still provide a unique flavour of game[footnote]Can anyone name any other multiformat devs making triple-A SP A/RPG party-based fantasy and sci-fi games heavily focused on character narrative? If so, point 'em out and I'll throw some cash towards BioWare's direct competitor/s...[/footnote], so if DA:I's the worst they can do (and it was impressively bad/misguided in some aspects), I'll always be up for more.
so first off my two cent on ME:A for gods sake just rent the dam thing if your not sure the gameplay is solid and after the last patch a faces arnt half bad.

OT: Not sure on this if it a rerelease of the old games in a better engine sign me up but with the MMO doing something after the second game will be, well kind of impossible.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ukomba said:
* - Given events in Rebels, Malachor V could not have been destroyed at the end of KOTOR 2 meaning either the DU uses the Dark Side ending as Canon or they like stripping EU material of all context and then try to use it for their own universe without realizing it's only cool because of the context.
Disney have used elements of the EU in the new Star Wars movie. Kylo Ren's mask looks suspiciously like Revans. Thrawn has been imported in to Rebels. They are hacking up the EU to cherry pick what they want.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Ukomba said:
I was excited... right up to the point when I remembered the latest Mass Effects, Dragon Ages, and that Disney has control of the lore. :p
Disney hasn't been doing all that bad with the lore. Star Wars Rebels is pretty good and Rogue One paid a decent number of homages to the legends continuity. Grand Admiral Thrawn has been handled pretty well and Timothy Zahn's new Thrawn book is pretty awesome.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
008Zulu said:
Ukomba said:
Disney have used elements of the EU in the new Star Wars movie. Kylo Ren's mask looks suspiciously like Revans. Thrawn has been imported in to Rebels. They are hacking up the EU to cherry pick what they want.
Oh, I know. It's been no end of annoyance for me. :p Still, if they want to bring in the 'TOR's as is then they run into a lore contradiction. All I'm saying is, if they want to adopt that EU material, if they don't want to ret-con Rebels, they have to use the Dark Side Endings.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Bat Vader said:
Ukomba said:
I was excited... right up to the point when I remembered the latest Mass Effects, Dragon Ages, and that Disney has control of the lore. :p
Disney hasn't been doing all that bad with the lore. Star Wars Rebels is pretty good and Rogue One paid a decent number of homages to the legends continuity. Grand Admiral Thrawn has been handled pretty well and Timothy Zahn's new Thrawn book is pretty awesome.
I'll give them credit, that they've been doing their best to fix their early mistakes, but given their rhetoric early on, it's hard to see bringing in Zahn and the addition of Thrawn as anything other than a desperate attempt to placate the hard core fans they s*** on initially.

Also, F*** Rogue One. Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors, and Operation Skyhook were some of my absolute favorite parts of Star Wars. At no point did they admit where every piece of lore they stole for that movie originally came from. It's fine if you want to cite your sources, but as far as I'm concerned, leaving it out is as good as plagiarism.

Not sure what to say about the garbage that is Rebels. Space Aladdin is as much of a marry sue as Galen Marek, whome he stole his new look from. But, If you like Helicopter Light sabers, absurdly OP B-Wings, and a plot that neuters the Original Trillogy, then to each their own. I wouldn't call Rebels, or even most of Clone Wars, good though. Dave Filoni has been one of the biggest problems with Star Wars since before Disney got it. Dave Filoni, JJ Abrams, Chuck Wendig, and Kathleen Kennedy are the four horseman of the Star Wars Apocalypse. We'll have to see if Zahn can save it.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
No thanks, shambling husk of Bioware.

This does make me sad, the original KotOR being in my opinion one of the best games ever made. (There are people who say KoTOR 2 is better, but they're wrong. It's a fine game too, if a little unfinished, but KoTOR was like... Star Wars you could play.) Just thinking about roaming the savannah-like wilds of Dantooine gives me a pang of lost sweetness that can never be recaptured in our fallen state. Such light was never seen on land or sea.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ukomba said:
if they don't want to ret-con Rebels, they have to use the Dark Side Endings.
It would have been better if they had taken the same route with Star Trek; Made JJ Trek an alternate timeline. The SW movies could be their own timeline, and Legends also it's own. Would solve the contradiction paradox.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
008Zulu said:
Ukomba said:
if they don't want to ret-con Rebels, they have to use the Dark Side Endings.
It would have been better if they had taken the same route with Star Trek; Made JJ Trek an alternate timeline. The SW movies could be their own timeline, and Legends also it's own. Would solve the contradiction paradox.
Certainly. It's not like they haven't done that before. They've had alternate timeline stories, alternate timeline games, ext. Things would have gone a lot smoother if they'd just done something like this.

http://ukomba.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-Multiverse-Timelines-678310578