Rumor: BioWare Mystery Project is Call of Duty: Mass Effect

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: BioWare Mystery Project is Call of Duty: Mass Effect

An anonymous source says that BioWare will soon announce a multiplayer-focused shooter set in the Mass Effect universe.

Yesterday, BioWare teased a new game announcement that will be made at the Spike TV Video Game Awards next month with Mass Effect [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105366-Get-a-Glimpse-at-BioWares-New-Project] instead.

Enterprising sleuths determined that the gun shown in the teaser trailer resembles one used in Mass Effect, and the soldier wielding it looks like he's wearing a futuristic form of armor, so the idea isn't a stretch. Combined with the fact that BioWare was searching for help [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101001-Mass-Effect-Could-Get-New-Multiplayer-Mode] to add multiplayer to the Mass Effect franchise earlier this year, the source could be on to something.

The source says that BioWare's mystery game is "designed to appeal to the Modern Warfare [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1290099312&sr=1-1] and Black Ops. According to the source, the game will also feature a single-player component that won't star Commander Shepard.

BioWare really upped its shooter ante with Mass Effect 2, which in my personal opinion was a pretty good shooter in addition to an RPG. The anonymous source could be full of bologna, but it makes sense for BioWare to try to develop a game that appeals to the Call of Duty market using the Mass Effect license, while hopefully implementing deeper elements that the company is known for. A multiplayer-focused shooter might be something new for BioWare, but that doesn't mean it can't be awesome.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5692552/rumor-biowares-new-mass-effect-is-a-multiplayer-spin+off]

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
It would be interesting to see Bioware handling a non standard rpg. I'm just looking forward to the ad on the day of the award shows.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Nah, I don't see this working. Sure, it could be in the same universe and all but would it really be Mass Effect then?

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
I hope not. I want Mass Effect 3, not some crap shooter. Plus, it's not like a ME-based shooter will appeal to all the Call of Duty fanboys.

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009
which physics engine did ME2 use? i don't remember anything special in the first one, and haven't played the second one yet...
it's hard to think of a new FPS that won't incorporate at least some kind of pyshics engine.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
As long as I still get Mass Effect 3:
have at it Bioware, maybe you actually create a Multiplayer Shooter I give a flying f*** about.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
PipBoy2000 said:
which physics engine did ME2 use? i don't remember anything special in the first one, and haven't played the second one yet...
it's hard to think of a new FPS that won't incorporate at least some kind of pyshics engine.
Both had decent physics.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I really want Mass Effect 3 please BioWare! Just bring that out first and make it awesome, before you start experimenting with the franchise!

Dec 11th cannot come soon enough. I just hope the news is good.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
On the one hand, i feel like this could be something epic, if made correctly.

On the other hand, i feel like they should leave the Mass Effect world alone with just the trilogy. Yes, they will get loads of money by making this (unless it turns out really, really rubbish), but this might ruin the word "Mass effect" to some. I know this is quite a small chance, but still... You never know.

Thankfully, this is just a rumor. So we'll live and see what happens.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That might work, but I have a major gripe with this: There are more than enough shooters out there, but only relatively few big RPGs being released each year. Bioware is arguably the best RPG developers out there, so I want them to continue focusing on RPGs.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Zayren said:
I hope not. I want Mass Effect 3, not some crap shooter. Plus, it's not like a ME-based shooter will appeal to all the Call of Duty fanboys.
It may if its actually balanced for multiplayer and had a wider variety of weapontry and gadgets. ME2 trimmed down on some of the things ME1 was bloated on (I'm looking at you 90 different copies of the same weapon with 1-2 stat points difference), but removed a helluva lot of choice from the matter which I found annoying and unattractive and I hope they'll remedy it in ME3.

Arrakiv

Dec 17, 2005
You know, that wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm pretty certain Bioware has stated in the past that they have no intention of ending the Mass Effect games with Mass Effect 3 - that would just end the Shepard storyline.

What I fully expect from the studio is that their general Sci-Fi games (ie: Not TOR) will be set in the ME universe (and Fantasy games in the DA one).

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
This is a good example of money corrupting focus. I don't want a shooter from Bioware. I think the shooting elements of ME and ME2 were by far the weakest parts of those games, which is okay because they were excellent games nonetheless. I get that CoD made a ton of money, but this is not exactly in Bioware's wheelhouse of expertise.

Twixley

Evil penguin
Nov 30, 2009
PipBoy2000 said:
Bobzer77 said:
Both had decent physics.
as far as I remember, an enemy who was hit by a grenade just fell dead... were there ragdolls or throwable items in any of them?
You didn't play a biotic did you? Explosions and biotic powers did wreak havoc on a lot of objects in the games. The ragdolls and other physics in either game are second to no shooter, in my opinion.