Rumor: BioWare Mystery Project is Call of Duty: Mass Effect

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
It would be interesting to see something like this from Bioware, though I just hope carrying out another project like this, doesn't mean they would be stretching themselves too thin, what with Dragon Age 2, Star Wars and I presume Mass Effect 2 also on the go.

I go for Bioware for singleplayer games, not multiplayer antics - I wouldn't like to see the former diluted by the latter.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Hell yeah. Actually, I'd say "hell yeah" to anything Bioware does, but whatever.

Hell yeah.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
PipBoy2000 said:
which physics engine did ME2 use? i don't remember anything special in the first one, and haven't played the second one yet...
it's hard to think of a new FPS that won't incorporate at least some kind of pyshics engine.
The game uses Unreal Engine 3, so incorporating physics won't be a particular issue.

OT: I'm hoping this isn't true. Epic RPGs aren't exactly the order of the day anymore and it's nice to have a company so dedicated and passinate about making them.

Military-brown doesn't suit BioWare.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
That popping noise you just heard was my head at the sheer awesomeness of the headline to this article.

Bravo, sir.

OT:
Misterpinky said:
Hell yeah. Actually, I'd say "hell yeah" to anything Bioware does, but whatever.

Hell yeah.
Hell yeah.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Why has no one commented about wanting to play as a specific race, play Nazi Husks, shouting out names of worlds they want to be on deathmatches, or something?

For me, I'm hoping this will be turned into more of a TF2 styled online shooter, where you have stuff like classes come into play (Krogan Heavies, Quarian Medics, Drell Scouts, Turian Snipers, Geth Engineers, etc.).

Or even better, Battlefront styled fights (especially bringing back space missions).

Look, I'll even let the lack of story go this time, Bioware, but please let us play something more like this rather than just having us play as a human in the ME world (and just a suggestion here: Hanar and Elcor would definitely be fun to play as, if only for the novelty).

Seriously, don't just aim towards being a generic shooter.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Cingal said:
Let's hope not.

We don't need Bioware piddling about in the Call of Duty cesspit as well.
Indeed. Games like Mass Effect are my refuge from games laden with bickering men, racist children, and outspoken misogyny. My question; is this a BioWare idea or is EA the one tugging that string?

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009
Twixley said:
You didn't play a biotic did you? Explosions and biotic powers did wreak havoc on a lot of objects in the games. The ragdolls and other physics in either game are second to no shooter, in my opinion.
you are correct, I played a soldier. but now that you mention it, i do remember using my party members' throwing ability, for example.
i don't think the game's physics are superior to either source (hl2, dark messiah) or unreal (bioshock, arkham asylum), but i stand corrected.

i'm all for a multiplayer version of mass effect, tbh. i won't feel like a bad person like in the times i play activision games :)

edit:
Woodsey said:
The game uses Unreal Engine 3, so incorporating physics won't be a particular issue.
seriously?! which version?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
That's right Bioware. Ignore everything that makes you great and instead attempt to appeal to a market already over saturated by other shooters.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
If its some multiplayer shooter i want nothing to do with it. I love bioware for creating quality RPG`s and i hope they keep making them since there are only few developers capable of making them.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Call of Mass Effect! Id play that XD

So long as we also get to use them Biotic powers. Freaking Vanguard class was so fun in ME2 :D

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Whoa guys, let's all take a deep breath here. I'm pretty certain they're still working on ME3, there's no way they're gonna stop development on it now. I think Bioware could do a lot for the shooter genre with this, like actually introducing a good story. ME2 showed they obviously have a good grasp on the mechanics of a shooter, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
What could EVER be wrong with a company going with something that isn't their specialty? Remember when Square-enix did Dirge of Cerberus? What about that point-click action/adventure game of Blizzard's or that 3rd person stealth shooter that may or may not of come out by Blizzard? Don't forget Midways Mortal Kombat beat-em ups.

Sarcasm now off, there are A LOT more bad games than good when a company not only does something different, but tries a completely different genre all together.

EDIT: Am I the only one still waiting for SC: Ghost?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
MarsProbe said:
It would be interesting to see something like this from Bioware, though I just hope carrying out another project like this, doesn't mean they would be stretching themselves too thin, what with Dragon Age 2, Star Wars and I presume Mass Effect 2 also on the go.
BioWare have-

BioWare Edmonton:
Dragon Age 2
Dragon Age 2 DLC (Think it's done there)
Mass Effect 2 DLC (See above)
Mass Effect 3

BioWare Montreal:
This project, apparently.

BioWare Austin:
Star Wars: The Old Republic

BioWare Mythic:
Warhammer: Age of Reckoning
Dark Age of Camelot
Ultima Online

And there's also a second project in the works, I think. They'll be fine.