Rumor: BioWare Mystery Project is Call of Duty: Mass Effect

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
As I've said in the other threads on this topic, I'm pretty iffy about the whole idea.

But hey, it's Bioware. They get the benefit of the doubt. Maybe, just maybe, they can pull it off without (a) making a piece of crap and (b) not causing Mass Effect to be ruined forever [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuinedFOREVER].

EDIT:
Straying Bullet said:
Indeed. The fuck are they tailoring their games to CoD audiences now? What the fuck, don't they realize their games are unique and makes them good above the CoD franchise?
Short answer: CoD sells.

A lot.

Sells more then Mass Effect ever has and more then it ever will.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
A multiplayer Mass Effect? I was kinda hoping for Co-op in ME3 when I read the thing about them looking for multiplayer guys, but I could see that working, too.

As long as it actually incorporates aspects of ME into it (biotics and such in a MP game would be a blast) and not just make it a sci-fi CoD, I would like this. A lot. DO IT RIGHT! (and let me play as a Turian and Krogan)

GRoXERs said:
Misterpinky said:
Hell yeah. Actually, I'd say "hell yeah" to anything Bioware does, but whatever.

Hell yeah.
Hell yeah.
Hell yeah.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I hope it isn't, but I could see why they would make it. Those "Call of Duty" gamers are a pretty big chunk of the audience, and trying to cash in on that is pretty tempting. Plus there's a chance they would rope some of them into the Mass Effect franchise, but I doubt that. Trying to sell a single-player series through a multi-player game seems like a stretch.

I'm not interested myself. For one, the game is centered around humans. There aren't any conflicts I would consider to be interesting where humans are mainly involved. Something like the way between the Quarians and the Geth might grab my interest since it's shedding more light on a conflict that is still unclear. There's also the fact that, from the looks of the trailer, it's dropping the exaggerated scifi feeling of the Mass Effect setting and focusing on gritty realism.

Of course, this is all assuming it really is a Mass Effect game.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Zayren said:
I hope not. I want Mass Effect 3, not some crap shooter. Plus, it's not like a ME-based shooter will appeal to all the Call of Duty fanboys.
You do realize that even if it is a CoD style shooter we will still get Mass Effect 3 right?

OP: I am personally somewhat skeptical. I am not fond of the Cod community in the slightest and while I love the ME universe I am not sure I like the idea of having this kid

screaming into my ear.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
the outsider said:
EA appears to really be beating Bioware with the production stick with the Mass Effect series, Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Dragon Age series, and now this "new franchise". This just sounds like EA is squeezing the blood of Bioware for everything that they can get out of it.
They're a big studio, and arguably EA's best, so personally I don't see that. It's not the same team working on 4 games at once.

mance200 said:
....Fuck BioWare. They pulled me in with BioShock but now I think I'm going back to VALVe. Atleast when they DO make games there is some sort of consistency with them.
You've got to be kidding me. BioShock was made by Irrational Games and published by 2K Games; it has nothing to do with BioWare or EA.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
When I looked at it, the gun looks just like one of the sniper rifles in ME2.

Any one else think this is going to take place during the first contact war?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
mance200 said:
....Fuck BioWare. They pulled me in with BioShock but now I think I'm going back to VALVe. Atleast when they DO make games there is some sort of consistency with them.
Uh... what?

Check your facts. Because, despite both having "Bio" in their name, Bioshock and Bioware have nothing to do with each other.

Bioshock was made by Irrational Games and Published by 2K. The sequel was made by 2K Marin.
Bioware are the makers of Mass Effect and Dragon Age (plus some older stuff). Their newer games are published by EA.

No connection.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, it'd be nice to see a Mass Effect game that focuses on just the shooter aspects. Still looking forward to ME3, but this could be a nice addition to the IP, if it turns out to be true. I just hope they still have biotic powers worked in. In fact, sticking with a class-based setup would probably still work if balanced right.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
This actually makes sense. I'd heard BioWare Montreal was making a "prequel" to the ME series, so to have this game be that prequel along with multiplayer seems like it'd fit. Still not sure if I'm going to be picking it up, though...I have little interest in yet another shooter and I have no idea how they're going to make the biotic/tech powers work. And if there are no biotic/tech powers then I think that's removing a lot of what make the games good (not counting story or writing, of course).

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
If they do it I will incinerate my Mass Effect games, throw away my Mass Effect novels and boycott the franchise from now until we all turn to dust. I hate Call of Duty with a burning passion and every single game that has ever come from the franchise. I hope that Bioware doesn't ruin a great series but soiling it with Call of Duty.

Bodyless

Dec 12, 2009
Delock said:
Why has no one commented about wanting to play as a specific race, play Nazi Husks, shouting out names of worlds they want to be on deathmatches, or something?
How about a zombie mode with husks dressed in nazi uniforms? Its basicly bound to be made by someone. (even though the nazi part could dropped)

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
bah. As much as I hate to admit it, FPSs have become a monster of a genre. It didn't start that way, it shouldn't stay that way, but it is. Seeing Bioware jump on the endlessly circling bandwagon just makes me sad.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
Icehearted said:
Cingal said:
Let's hope not.

We don't need Bioware piddling about in the Call of Duty cesspit as well.
Indeed. Games like Mass Effect are my refuge from games laden with bickering men, racist children, and outspoken misogyny. My question; is this a BioWare idea or is EA the one tugging that string?
You know... with EA losing big time on MoH, especially since Black Ops came out like a week or two afterwards and stole the show completely (not to mention it was pretty much Bad Company 2 Episode 1). I wouldn't be surprised to see this being EA desperately looking for some killer online shooter and then throwing it to their only developer that is still good.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Ha! If it's true I called it, I never get gaming news right. I hope that's what they're making, it'll be interesting to see Bioware's take on multiplayer.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Shycte said:
Nah, I don't see this working. Sure, it could be in the same universe and all but would it really be Mass Effect then?
It's a question of mythos vs gameplay. Are KOTOR, Battlefront, and Tie Fighter not Star Wars because of their different gameplay styles? Is Halo Wars not Halo because it's real time strategy? I get what you're saying though. Big problem would probably be balance. If it's something where you can pick classes I could see biotic users being extremely powered. Not to mention how useless techies would be without sythetics around.

Hopefully this takes place during the big wars between Earth and the Turians, maybe even get some awesome battles on the Krogan homeworld.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
"designed to appeal to the Call of Duty market"

Those words worry me, or at least say to me in big bold letters "THIS GAME IS NOT FOR YOU". Shame, given that BioWare is one of the few developers that consistently releases games I love. I'm not into a 5 hour campaign with minimal story, no characterization, and just Michael Bay style dumb action.