Rumor: BioWare Mystery Project is Call of Duty: Mass Effect

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
mance200 said:
....Fuck BioWare. They pulled me in with BioShock but now I think I'm going back to VALVe. Atleast when they DO make games there is some sort of consistency with them.
Either you are a troll, or you are thinking of the wrong company.
Bioware didn't make Bioshock. Just because they both have "bio" in the title doesn't meant Bioware made the game.
Bioware made Mass Effect series, Dragon Age, and Knights of the Old Republic. As well as several other games.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
to everyone saying they want mass effect 3, bioware has already said that whatever this new IP is it is being developed by its own seperate team and not anyone currently working on dragon age, the old republic or me3

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
*Headslam**Headslam**Headslam*
Dragon Age 2 looks like Origins knocked up Final Fantasy. Mass Effect 2's RPG elements were oversimplified. And now this.

Does BioWare know why they're the most respected RPG developers in the industry?
*Headslam**Headslam**Headslam*...

Kulingile

Oct 13, 2010
Bigeyez said:
to everyone saying they want mass effect 3, bioware has already said that whatever this new IP is it is being developed by its own seperate team and not anyone currently working on dragon age, the old republic or me3
People don't listen to things like that. All they hear is "blah blah blah Call of Duty blah" and then proceed to rage.

Kulingile

Oct 13, 2010
Krantos said:
*Headslam**Headslam**Headslam*
Dragon Age 2 looks like Origins knocked up Final Fantasy. Mass Effect 2's RPG elements were oversimplified. And now this.

Does BioWare know why they're the most respected RPG developers in the industry?
*Headslam**Headslam**Headslam*...
I thought they were popular because the majority believe they know how to make a good story. Aside from that, most would say the gameplay in Bioware games is nothing special.

Aug 25, 2009
The next question is, why would anyone want this?

The one thing fanboys raised more hell about than any other aspect of Mass Effect changing (as far as I'm aware) was the dumbing down of the RPG elements in favour of making it a more of a shooter.

Why is going further in this direction even being considered? Even a Mass Effect MMO in the style of WoW would be a better idea than this!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Hmm...I hope Bioware know what they are doing.

I will probably get this as i am a Bioware fanboy to the core...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
the outsider said:
Woodsey said:
the outsider said:
EA appears to really be beating Bioware with the production stick with the Mass Effect series, Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Dragon Age series, and now this "new franchise". This just sounds like EA is squeezing the blood of Bioware for everything that they can get out of it.
They're a big studio, and arguably EA's best, so personally I don't see that. It's not the same team working on 4 games at once.
If they are big enough then i retract my statement. However, this does not alleviate all of my concerns. If EA continue to be dependant on Bioware that sets up a few potential problems.
The big one is the dependancy issue. If Bioware fails then EA is set to fail as hard too and as dependance grows so will the aftershock of the bubble bursting. Look to the $300 million dollar investment by EA into Star Wars: The Old Republic. If this investment does not succeed as intended then the results could be horrific.
Second, Bioware's status as EA's favourite child could lead to EA pushing out other studios and concepts that should see the light of day just because it is not Bioware.

These are hypotheticals, but we have all seen stuff like this happen before in the industry. So i have my concerns because EA appears to be on the path to repeating old mistakes.
Hold on, the I'm pretty sure the rumour was that it was $100 million, and to be honest I can't see them pushing out other ideas simply because they're not BioWare. If they are spending that sort of money on TOR then they want to make sure they can cushion the blow if it all goes horribly wrong (which hopefully it won't).

curtmina

Jun 7, 2010
Well if it is a COD like shooter, I'm a little disappointed, but it is Bioware so I'll give it a look.
For those all pissed off yeah its saddening, but if its what they want to do it, lets at least hear Bioware out.
Of course this could be EA money Grabbing.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Petromir said:
8-Bit Grin said:
... It won't work, plain and simple.

Stop trying to surpass it in the shooter domain.
Why does everything have to be a something better?

Who says they are expecting or aiming for a CoD sized share here?
To answer your first question, it doesn't have to be better.
However, if they want any substantial revenue they'll want to convert some CoD fans since they dominate the market.

To answer your second:
"BioWare's mystery game is designed to APPEAL TO THE CALL OF DUTY MARKET and won't be an MMO.
...feature a form of player progression similar to that seen in Modern Warfare and Black Ops."

Apparently Bioware's inside source said so.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I definitely don't want this, Bioware is one of the very few incredible big RPG makers left, I hope they stick to RPGs and leave the FPS bullshit to the rest of the market. There are already too damn many FPS games coming out.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I think this could be interesting if, like someone else said, it was run like Star Wars Battlefronts. I enjoyed those games, even though there wasn't a great story to it and they were set in a universe that I loved. If the game they churn out is like that, then it will be fun and I will most likely end up getting it. I don't really want a COD clone even if it has Mass Effect in it, as anything that Bioware tries to copy will have already been done, lessening its impact.

But playing as the other races does intrigue me and I think there is a definite possibility that this could work out. I'd rather have ME3 sooner than this mystery game, but I can't control that.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Owlslayer said:
On the one hand, i feel like this could be something epic, if made correctly.

On the other hand, i feel like they should leave the Mass Effect world alone with just the trilogy. Yes, they will get loads of money by making this (unless it turns out really, really rubbish), but this might ruin the word "Mass effect" to some. I know this is quite a small chance, but still... You never know.

Thankfully, this is just a rumor. So we'll live and see what happens.
BioWare has already made it clear the ME world won't be put away after ME3. I see this working well with an FPS, it would be COD with classes and other races. I'm not going to make any judgments on this until I have more detail but when had BioWare disappointed the masses with a game? BioWare knows how to treat story and combat. I say I'm giving it a shot. No pun intend.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Shycte said:
Nah, I don't see this working. Sure, it could be in the same universe and all but would it really be Mass Effect then?
I agree with this, having a Mass Effect game with all the story and customizable depth taken out of it, it wouldn't be Mass Effect, then.
Plus multiplayer FPSes are very very overused, we don't need Bioware adding to the pile.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
No comment.

Apart from how I hate the heat clip excuse for ammo in ME2. But, seriously, almost feels like EA has gone on a CoD take-down frenzy. First, MoH, now... this... Just wish it's worth my time, when it comes. So far I'm bored to hell.