Rumor: BioWare Mystery Project is Call of Duty: Mass Effect

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Shycte said:
Nah, I don't see this working. Sure, it could be in the same universe and all but would it really be Mass Effect then?
So things that are based in the Star Wars universe, but in no way tackle the main story of the Empire Vs. Republic , isn't Star Wars?

OT: Could work. The Mass Effect universe has a lot a potential to become something more than a series of RPGs. It could break into a group of different genres. It could explore more locations, bring in more characters, and liven up the main Mass Effect experience a whole lot more.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
I stopped reading at "spike tv videogame awards."

Yes I know the subject of the article isn't influenced by that. I just shudder with disgust every time I hear "spike tv" and "videogames" in the same sentence.

OptimisticPessimist

Nov 15, 2010
Dammit. I saw "Bioware Mystery Project" and immediately thought "Jade Empire 2". Come on Bioware it's just screaming for a sequel!

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
Multiplayer shooter? Eh, so no spectacular Cod-like-campaign then?

I'm already kind of dissapointed.
I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or not...in all seriousness the earlier CoD games had kickass campaign modes for games with both Single and Multiplayer.

I just heard about and commented my thoughts on this just then on a different thread, but now that I think about it more I cannot see it working.
At all.

In fact I'd even like to say;

Kill it with fire.

Rotating Bread

Jul 22, 2008
Multiplayer focused shooter, great there's just not enough of those around at the moment; can't wait for that 4 hour campaign.

I've nothing against these kind of games, or against Bioware expanding it's appeal but I am worried that this move may come at the expense of Bioware's single player output

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Its amazing how many brainless dicks across the internet are complain about Bioware making a shooter when they are too stupid to realise thats exactly what they did with ME2: just focused on making the game a shooter more than anything else.

If this new game takes the weight off of ME3 dumbing itself down ever more, removing more RPG elements, shoving in more shooter elements, and generally not playing to Biowares strengths (plot and character), thats great, ME3 looks that little bit brighter.

If its not going to be that, and instead increases all of the above, its officially going to be the nail in the Bioware coffin for me.

Of course, they like to trot out that they listen to fan feedback, and that supposedly cries about the poor shooter elements from ME1 were what shaped ME2. Since there has been so much "bitching" about ME2 being dumbed down and losing its RPG side, their course is clear for ME3. I mean, since they listened to shooter fans bitching, it would be hypocritical not to do the same for their (long time) RPG fans.

Bottom line, Im just hoping this is a clear indication ME3 isnt going to have much focus on "TEH SHOOTY GAEMPLAEY!!1!one!" Instead its this newly announced game that will be taking up that mantle so that ME3 can concentrate on what was meant to make the ME series great (hint: its not Gears ripoff gameplay).

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
IBlackKiteI said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Multiplayer shooter? Eh, so no spectacular Cod-like-campaign then?

I'm already kind of dissapointed.
I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or not...in all seriousness the earlier CoD games had kickass campaign modes for games with both Single and Multiplayer.
I'm not being sarcastic. I think every CoD campaign has been pure, concentrated awesome.

Something wrong with that?

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
If they include all the different available class builds and skills (and maybe give the option of playing the more famous ME races) here and tie it together with a sweet plot (First Contact War, Galactic turmoil amidst the Council races before the Reapers strike, or whatever) then I see no reason why this shouldn't be awesomesauce.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
PipBoy2000 said:
which physics engine did ME2 use? i don't remember anything special in the first one, and haven't played the second one yet...
it's hard to think of a new FPS that won't incorporate at least some kind of pyshics engine.
Modified Unreal Engine, similar to Gears

Anyway, I am so on board with this!

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
believer258 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I don't think this is a good idea. Mass Effect already has quite a large following with its first two games. Sure, from a business perspective ripping off Call of Duty might be smart. But businessmen need to stop talking business and start playing some games every now and then. Games that aren't Call of Duty or Halo or Battlefield, or something like that, usually don't get a following. The lobbies are usually empty a few months down the line, or have very few people in them. It takes something different to stand out in the multiplayer crowd, and you can't rip off another game and expect the same level of success. It just doesn't work that way. Business is an important part of games, and I think either EA is making Bioware add multiplayer, or they're pushing it, or Bioware is getting greedy, whatever. They're putting multiplayer in a Mass Effect universe to attract more business, and the people that prefer multiplayer already have their Black Ops and Halo Reach's to satiate their friend-killing, noob-tubing lust.

EDIT: I'd also like to have to eat my words whenever this comes out. I just don't see it happening. ME games are more about story; left alone to gameplay, which makes up the entirety of multiplayer, they end up being very repetitive, generic cover-based shooters. Like it or not.
Haven't been keeping up-to-date, huh?

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
believer258 said:
I_am_a_Spoon said:
believer258 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I don't think this is a good idea. Mass Effect already has quite a large following with its first two games. Sure, from a business perspective ripping off Call of Duty might be smart. But businessmen need to stop talking business and start playing some games every now and then. Games that aren't Call of Duty or Halo or Battlefield, or something like that, usually don't get a following. The lobbies are usually empty a few months down the line, or have very few people in them. It takes something different to stand out in the multiplayer crowd, and you can't rip off another game and expect the same level of success. It just doesn't work that way. Business is an important part of games, and I think either EA is making Bioware add multiplayer, or they're pushing it, or Bioware is getting greedy, whatever. They're putting multiplayer in a Mass Effect universe to attract more business, and the people that prefer multiplayer already have their Black Ops and Halo Reach's to satiate their friend-killing, noob-tubing lust.

EDIT: I'd also like to have to eat my words whenever this comes out. I just don't see it happening. ME games are more about story; left alone to gameplay, which makes up the entirety of multiplayer, they end up being very repetitive, generic cover-based shooters. Like it or not.
Haven't been keeping up-to-date, huh?
What do you mean, haven't been keeping up to date? I've known they were planning to include it, but I didn't know they wanted to rip off CoD. Of course how Mass Effect will rip off run-and-gun shooting like CoD is beyond me, but whatever. It still isn't a good idea.
The teaser was revealed to be a promotional video for Mass Effect 3.

There is no Mass Effect shooter in the works. It was just Bioware being mysterious.